Hurdy's 470bhp Cupra MK3

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
So did a few shows this weekend....Saturday did RWYB at Santa Pod and Sunday did GTI International.

Saturday was a great day, but I was having issues with power loss on spinning the wheels down at the start. Ended up with a [email protected] which was a little slower in both terminal speed and time but was still a new personal best.

Sunday I went to Inters and decided to do the 1/8th sprint even though I have fwd and was up against a lot of fwd modified motors. The Cupra did really well and better than I thought......even with the issue of power loss after wheelspin the car managed a 0-60mph best of 4.26 seconds, a 1/8th best of 8.35 seconds and a best terminal speed at the 1/8th mile of 96.3mph.
The big bonus here was winning the Seat category and coming away with a trophy. The car was actually quicker on the day than all the FWD cars in the Golf MK5,6 and 7 category too. ��

Found out thanks to Alex Kerr that there is a function you can turn off with VCDS that stops the ECU killing the power when the wheels spin in 1st 2nd or 3rd and this will be a big help next time around when I'm on drag radials.

A big thank you for Steve at Statller for lending me his lightweight alloys shod with R888's and for e-tuners for providing a stonking pair of maps for the engine and DSG.
here are a few photo's of the weekend.......

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156392926@N05/0af72q

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156392926@N05/t3863n

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156392926@N05/7f0221

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156392926@N05/m5TXB5

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156392926@N05/9c477D

Last edited:

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
So did a few shows this weekend....Saturday did RWYB at Santa Pod and Sunday did GTI International.

Saturday was a great day, but I was having issues with power loss on spinning the wheels down at the start. Ended up with a [email protected] which was a little slower in both terminal speed and time but was still a new personal best.

Sunday I went to Inters and decided to do the 1/8th sprint even though I have fwd and was up against a lot of fwd modified motors. The Cupra did really well and better than I thought......even with the issue of power loss after wheelspin the car managed a 0-60mph best of 4.26 seconds, a 1/8th best of 8.35 seconds and a best terminal speed at the 1/8th mile of 96.3mph.
The big bonus here was winning the Seat category and coming away with a trophy. The car was actually quicker on the day than all the FWD cars in the Golf MK5,6 and 7 category too.

Found out thanks to Alex Kerr that there is a function you can turn off with VCDS that stops the ECU killing the power when the wheels spin in 1st 2nd or 3rd and this will be a big help next time around when I'm on drag radials.

A big thank you for Steve at Statller for lending me his lightweight alloys shod with R888's and for e-tuners for providing a stonking pair of maps for the engine and DSG.
here are a few photo's of the weekend.......

Can you share details of tweak needed to stop the ecu cutting power when spinning in 1st 2nd and 3rd?

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Can you share details of tweak needed to stop the ecu cutting power when spinning in 1st 2nd and 3rd?

Sure thing Kiddo...

In VCDS go to the ABS controller, select adaptations, select "starting vibration reduction" from the drop down menu, change the value to "Deactivated"

Now enjoy full power with zero intervention in the first three gears.

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

Last edited:
Reactions: GraemeR

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Into the low 12's

Well this weekend was a fairly active one.
Went down to Santa Pod on Saturday with a few guys and hit several pb's over last time around.
This time I was still full weight, still 99ron and still on the same tune. The only difference being that I was trying some new drag radials to see how well they would cut my 60' times down.
It takes several runs just to get the drag radials into fulfilling their best and as I only made six runs on the day, there are still better launches to be had from them.
I made a PB and improved on my previous best by 0.32 seconds purely by the tyre change. Also increased the best terminal speed up to 117.0mph.

Best run of [email protected] [B)]

Still more to come.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4o1ztz1y9q0rrk/Photo 01-07-2017, 18 30 52.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pu3etpofrhq97qb/Photo 01-07-2017, 20 47 42.jpg?dl=0

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
Good work, it will interesting to see if you can get into the 11's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Good work, it will interesting to see if you can get into the 11's

Should do. Target is 11.xxxx@ 120+

Get some extra weight out, engine and transmission mounts, spring helpers, Bigger turbo and race map on race fuel should get there.[B)]

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
Sure thing Kiddo...

In VCDS go to the ABS controller, select adaptations, select "starting vibration reduction" from the drop down menu, change the value to "Deactivated"

Have you come across any negatives to doing this or is it as good as it sounds?

Devilz

Jul 22, 2017
Seems like 400 is lowest you can live with.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
TTE470 hybrid IS38 turbo on order, should go well once fitted.
The 6R made 7.8-7.9 for the 100-200kph sprint at 500bhp. The Cupra currently does 8.1-8.2 for the same sprint at 400bhp. The TTE470 has been proven to dip the 100-200 run down to mid 7's....so quicker than my old 6R.
Power should be 450-470bhp with similar torque and good response from the hybrid turbo. Power peak should move up to 6600-6800 rpm and so the DSG will have its rpm limit increased to around 6900-7000rpm.
Hoping for a very low 12 second run on the 1/4 mile, if not something beginning with 11.:whistle:[B)]

Last edited:

Devilz

Jul 22, 2017
Is this cupra related only as I can't seem to find it for my A6

Devilz

Jul 22, 2017
Sure thing Kiddo...

Is this only work with cupra as I can't find the setting for my A6

Al

Aug 29, 2005
How long until 10's John? Sure I saw some detail about a larger snail for your car on FB somewhere - some slicks with that and a good launch will surely mean 10's @ over 130 :)

Watching with interest!

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Well the TTE470 hybrid turbo went on the car Wednesday and on Thursday it was tuning time.
Keeping torque to a reasonable level for FWD the E-Tuners stage 3 mapping on the TTE470 went very well. 472bhp (478.5ps) 422lbft (572nm). Silky smooth power delivery from the E-Tuners stage 3 DSG map with crackle overrun,7krpm shift points, higher clamping pressure and quicker gearshifts. Initial results show that the TTE470 makes boost around 500rpm later than the OEM turbo ( feels better to drive with a fwd car) but holds power and torque longer. On the OEM turbo, the tuner pegged the Rev limit at 6250 as the torque and power were dropping off significantly by that point. The TTE470 makes power and torque beyond this and so the Rev limit was lifted to 7000rpm. Torque is still over 405lbft (550nm) at 6000rpm!

Last edited:

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Any performance gain info yet John? :)
A few bits. Not really been good dry weather, but the 100-200 ended up as 7.6
This was in the damp, on a private road with a kink in the middle and uphill at the end.
Wheelspin up to 80mph!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise