iTB Ibiza Cupra 16v Track Toy - Engine Rebuild, Aero & More Page 73+

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Had my wheel bolts and harnesses delivered today, so thought I would start with the easiest job... the spacers!

Before the spacers
SP_A0014.jpg

The difference between the old and new bolts
SP_A0015.jpg

The 15mm spacer on the hub
SP_A0016.jpg

With the spacers fitted
SP_A0017.jpg

SP_A0018.jpg

Next the strut brace and then if the weather holds out (no rain) strip the rear and fit the harnesses

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Well went down to my mates house, Mat because I was too scared to drill holes in my car so he offered to help :)

Here's some pics, sorry about the quality of them, they were taken on my phone when my hands were frozen!

SP_A0022.jpg

SP_A0023.jpg

Next on the list is the harnesses, see how I feel tomorrow or do them in the week :blush2:

All comments on my supporting thread please :)
Link

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Right, finished off fitting my harnesses yesterday.... didn't bother to completely strip the rear because the blowing exhaust is doing my head in at the moment :rolleyes:

Happy with them, they hold you in well.... haven't got any bucket seats before anyone asks because I thought I would see have they look with the standard seats, think they go quite well myself :)

SP_A0032.jpg

SP_A0030.jpg

SP_A0031.jpg

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Well since its been sunny today decided to give the car a good clean and take some recent photos, as I havent took any tidy photos since having my brakes, plates, harnesses and the new hammock in the rear :)

Beware 56k users! :rolleyes:

100_3547.jpg

100_3548.jpg

100_3554.jpg

100_3555.jpg

100_3560.jpg

100_3562.jpg

100_3568.jpg

100_3569.jpg

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Well been a while since I fitted anything new to the car..... so fitted a nice Raid HP rear strut brace today

SP_A0091.jpg

Got new grooved rear discs and pagid fast road pads to be fitted before the track day to, so will update once they are fitted.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Well fitted my new rear brakes saturday. Everything that could go wrong did! First the tool to push the piston back in was the wrong one, lucky my old mans mate had the right one, then went to fit the discs (after I got RS Rob's dad to groove them) I noticed they were the wrong ones :aggressive:

The hub part of the disc was half the length than the ones I got from GSF and had grooved. Basically on the Mk2 Ibiza the disc's have a bearing housing in them.... which I didn't know about till I came to fitting them, I had the rear bearings as I was changing them the same time anyway. Managed to get the right set from the factors in bridgend but now I have no grooved rear discs :( As I needed them fitted this weekend for the track day on the 9th.

Also replaced the pads for Pagid Fast Road pads so it isn't all bad I guess.

Here's the pic of the pads....
SP_A0088.jpg

And my grooved discs that wouldn't fit and a preview for PhilW..... here's your new discs mate :meeting:
SP_A0093.jpg

No point in taking pics of the discs I have now plus I was too p*ssed off to take any after getting the wrong ones grooved lmao

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Well after Llandow track day, I needed 4 new tyres and cracked my manifold.

Firstly the new boots.......
SP_A0108.jpg

Goodyear Eagle F1's :)

My manifold after having a flexi pipe fitted to stop it from crack all the time......
SP_A0107.jpg

I have heat wiped it and then sprayed it in this heat spray but didn't take any pics :(

Dan Mcd was selling his saxo dimma show cage, for a bargin price of £50... it's been rubbed back ready for a spray,
SP_A0112.jpg

SP_A0111.jpg

And yes they do fit the Ibiza's, just not spot on.... a new bracket needs to be made up, here's a test fit to show how much it is out by,

SP_A0113.jpg

And this is how I want it to sit....
SP_A0116.jpg

Gonna get a bracket made up then rub back my strut brace and get them both sprayed white.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
The car is off the road at the moment.... having taken the gearbox and flywheel off.

I'm getting the gearbox rebuilt and fitted with this,
SP_A0127.jpg

It's a 3.94 final drive, basically it gives a closer ratio gearbox as the ratios on the standard Ibiza 02A box is crap and after reading a lot on Club GTi they all rave about this final drive.

Here's a table comparing the standard ratio to the one fitted with this 3.94 FD,
GearRatios.jpg

it doesn't look like much of a gain but it's useable for everyday and makes a hell of a difference to the acceleration. The other choice would to go for a 4.25 and then that is just stupid for road use.

Also I have removed my flywheel and have sent it off to be lighten and balanced, this is one of the main problems with the ABF engine is that the flywheel weighs 22lbs and some people have timed 20 seconds to let it return it idle when rev'ed to the limiter. Once I have had it back it should be almost half that weight at 11.8lbs!!!

(Sorry phil I have nicked your pics, forgot to take my own)

This is a standard ABF flywheel
DSC00531.jpg

And this is how it will look when i have it back
DSC00563.jpg

DSC00562.jpg

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Here's another photo of my lighten flywheel compared to the standard one. (Sorry about the pic was taken with my phone)

On the left is the lighten, on the right is the standard
SP_A0132.jpg

And also had my Throttle Body machined.... as there is a small taper just before the butterfly and on the back of the Tb there is a little lip to.

The top Tb is my new one and the bottom is the standard one (painted blue).

The front
SP_A0133.jpg

The rear
SP_A0134.jpg

Hopefully I will have my gearbox back tomorrow :)

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Well my gearbox finally went in today and it's much better now.... so nice being able to come out of corners actually within the power range now, instead of just below it!

The lighten flywheel is hard to notice the difference along with the gearbox but it's a bit of a pain trying to keep it below 1500rpm when trying to pull off and when changing gear normally I find myself reving when bring the clutch back up..... Guess it's just time to get the use of it all!

But well worth it I think! Specially as it's one of the cheapest mods you can do for performance (after the usual mods).

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Haven't updated for a while!

Done two track sessions since, Castle Combe at Eurofest and then of course the sw-cc track day at llandow. Apart from the new tyres that need replacing after llandow, I finally got my arse into gear and got some nice brand new lower arms with powerflex bushes pressed into them!

The joys of Seat mix & matching VW parts.... the lower arms and bushes are the same as a mk2 Golf GTi so got them off eBay cheaper than I can get the parts alone!

Photo-0001.jpg

The main reason for these bushes is that a few of the boys have noticed that when I brake late they can see the actualy wheel being pushed back.... this should now prevent that and a note for people fitting bigger brakes, you gotta uprated other things to!!! :cool:

And I did have my alloys booked in with Steve G60 because I am fed up of the flake-o-motives! Was going to go in last weekend but a nasty phone bill stopped me!

After I get my wheels done..... another week of overtime me thinks, as the bridgend boys know me now..... Dave No Life :( But it brings money in so I can finally finish the car off and get it how I have wanted it for sooo long!

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Haven't updated for a while now!

For xmas I had a OMP suede steering wheel off the missus, the catch was I had to buy the boss for it.

Photo-0031-1.jpg

Managed to get hold of an ex Rockingham Roll Cage made by Custom Cages for the Mk3 Ibiza Cupra R's they use to have, thats in the car now but not welded yet. Will get pics up of the cage and pics while fitting it once it's all finished and sprayed white.

Looking into getting front and rear Neuspeed Anti Roll Bars this week, basically getting the car all set up ready for our trip to "The Ring" in June.

And trying to decide what bucket seats to go for???? mmmm

More pics soon to come :)

Last edited:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
sick work dave

how much were the engine mounts?

I think the front one was £150 and the rear & gearbox was £60 each.

Not afraid to spend your money! ;)

What happened to the tints?

It's a bloody money pit fair play to it but love every second of driving it hehe. I got pulled for the front tints and I don't like the look of just the rear ones tinted..... looks like a van lol.

Plus I was slowly having a t!t's full of them and after being pulled that was a good enough reason.

May 13, 2007
very nice motor youve spent a few £££££££££££££££££££££ on it but good results

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Nice one Dave, I read the whole thread about 10mins after you finished posting it all, but wasn't sure whether to reply or whether you wanted to keep the thread clean from comments. Anyway, well done. Can't believe how much hassle you had with getting the Compo's in time for the RR.

Keep it up Dave, yours is still my fave car of all of SCN :thumbup:

Mig

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members