Rok's Leon Mk1 20VT TS

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
It's been just over a year since I got my Leon off my parents hands. It's a 2003 20VT Top sport model, in family possession from day 1, completely stock (apart from Cupra R pedal set) and with 54k kilometers on the clock. [B)]

It had a couple of scratches around and the paint could use a complete detailing but other than that, the car was almost new.

Modifications:
Exterior:
OEM new Cupra R front bumper, with splitter and fogs
OEM Cupra R rear bumper
Golf IV Aero wiper arms and blades
Rear tinted windows

Interior:
FR steering wheel - refurbished
Cupra R ALU pedal covers
Pioneer DEH-8400BT head unit

Technical:
OEM short shifter

As I brought it home:
leon1_z.jpg

leon3_z.jpg

leon4_z.jpg

Next to wife's Polo and my ex BMW:
trojica_z.jpg

Proof of distance it had run:
leon6_z.jpg

Plans at that moment were to get it fully serviced (timing belt and everything related to it), sorting out the dreadful smell from the ventilation. Don't know why parents never mentioned it.

I was sure it would not stay as it was, but didn't want to have any premature plans.

Last edited:

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
So first on the list was changing the standard cabin filter with the active carbon one.

The old one was in terrible shape:
star-filter.jpg

So new one was installed
novi-filter.jpg

This had not solved the issue with the smell, so my next suspicion was bacteria in the climate system. Got me a can of disinfecting spray and let it work it's magic:
dezinfekcija.jpg

This treatment was successful and the smell was gone :funk:

I also got most of bits and pieces for the service - some parts were ordered by my mechanic (sparks,...):
deli1_z.jpg

Last edited:

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
Next up was the window mechanism, which gave up in the drivers doors. After talking to my mechanic, we agreed that the best solution is to get the OEM part. So this was ordered:
skatla_z.jpg

mehanizem_z.jpg

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
In june last year, a few petrolhead friend and I went for a 3 day roadtrip thru Dolomites. We covered over 1.000 miles and 22 mountain passes. I love those mountains, now I fell in love with the roads there too. It was really a drivers dream come true and I can't wait to repeat it it this year.

Such a trip is not for someone with a sensitive stomach.

I was really pleased with the handling of the car. It is a real drivers car. The original setup is spot on for my driving style. The brakes are also awesome - there was no overheating or fading even when we drove hard from the mountain passes. The only thing missing (apart from more power) is an LSD. In tight corners I lost a lot of ground comparing to RWD or AWD cars. And maybe some better sports seats.

A few moments, from that trip:
DSC_5823_zpsdynuebn2.jpg

DSC_5830_zpsmsgpmvj8.jpg

DSC_5855_zpsjtf5edew.jpg

DSC_5842_zpshybk9nqo.jpg

DSC_0475_zpsvyoqvgpo.jpg

DSC_5894_zpslvewrxuh.jpg

DSC_6010_zpsasidmkdq.jpg

DSC_0535_zpsmh0tptup.jpg

DSC_6057_zpszgyoixvn.jpg

I also had a bit of luck, because after the trip the car sat in garage for 2 weeks and the coolant ran out. The new water pump gave up, so I changed it on warranty and got a different one, just to be sure. No issues since then.

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
In autumn I bought an OEM short shifter and aero wiper arms from Golf 4. Just before fitting this the first lambda sensor dies, so I had to replace this also with the OEM one.

All the stuff in the trunk
IMG_0690_zps9oqspwwi.jpg

Because I was abroad on business a lot, my mate took the car to our mechanic, to sort things out. Short shifter and lambda were pretty straight forward, the wiper arms on the other hand were a bit of a pill to sort out.

I started to receive some photos to my cell, stating, that the wiper arms are too long :blink::wtf:
12178245_10153692456258630_269764633_n_zpsu97xgd9x.jpg

12181879_10153692484088630_1334147580_n_zpsvyowrsc4.jpg

12165686_10153692481593630_1333788175_n_zpsawjz9mii.jpg

The finger indicates, how much the wiper should be shortened.

So after a bit of :argue:, we decided to shorten the wiper arms. So the next pic I got:
12179683_10153692496638630_832790083_n_zpsiwjokfwz.jpg

:scary:

In the end, both wiper arms were shorten to correct length, so the wiper blades are always gonna fit, without any adjustments. :thumbup: End result:
IMG_0695_zps021fkz09.jpg

Afterwards we made a final roadtrip of the season, before the winter tyres had to be fitted.

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
I just ordered a refurbished steering wheel, cause although mine is in mint condition, I wanted something with better grip. OEM Cupra R new is extremely pricey and I don't like how they turn red when wearing off.

So this is what I ordered:
IMG_0295_zpskkhsalud.jpg

Was also looking to get me some 18" wheels and a remap, but then some idiot crashed into me in a T-junction. I and my missus just came up to the junction (it's been raining and that road is known to be slippery as hell), when I saw a Hyundai Getz with its wheels completely locked heading my way. :cry:

This happened on last january and I am getting my car tommorrow. It's been a hard fight with the insurance, because the repairing costs are over 50% of the value. At the end I have to pay 700 EUR from my pocket for the repair. Gutted.

But in the end I managed to get the dealership to throw in the Cupra R front bumper for the same price, so I will at least be getting something out of it.

Well, still looking for some lightweight 18" wheels in black. At the moment I am looking at these options:
OZ Alleggerita and Ultraleggera
Motec Nitro
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 S

I need such wheels, that can go over Brembo's, as I am planning on getting some next year. Should anyone know about any such second hand wheels, please let me know. :)

I will be also looking for rear Cupra R bumper, to have a complete look. Hoping to sell my Cupra bumper, to get some of the money back :whistle:

You guys might know an answer - are there any top mounts, that would drop the car additional 10 or so mm? Since I use my leon as daily, I do not wish to have it any lower, but 10mm would look a lot better than now.

Last edited:

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
Thanks buddy :)

I guess it's easier to replace topmounts than spring cups, am I right? Are there also topmounts on the rear axle? I only found topmounts for the front (powerflex).

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
So, today I finaly picked up the car at the dealer, where the repairs after the accident were made. Very happy with the result, not so happy about the financial part, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles :)

In the end new cupra R front bumber with all the bits and pieces, including new cupra R fog lights were fitted for the price.

New looks
8d8e91595727dbcdef8aee2739e42837.jpg

We didn't get to fit the new steering wheel, but it will be done in a few days.

Last edited:

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
Still very happy, how the car looks with the new bumper :funk:
However, I am not sure if I am going to lower the car, as the front splitter barely went over the curb at the MOT - there was maybe just 1 cm space.

Also managed to swap the steering wheel, which was a 15 minute job [B)].
Before:

After:

Next I will be replacing my Pioneer deh-6900B, for the newer deh-8400BT, with the integrated bluetooth.

Also coming up next - oil service and new brake discs and pads all round. I am still deciding wheather taking OEM parts or ATE power discs with ceramic pads - the price is completely the same.

I thing there will be no more major upgrades this year, as I have spend quite a lot of money for the car - including repairs after the accident. Although I might do a custom optimisation if I get a good price - talking to a few guys, to do it as a group to get a discount.

There are a few minor issues, that bother me tho:
1. The steering has just a bit of a play - it has no influence on the handling, but is getting on my nerves, as I always want to have a car in top condition. It seems, that the steering column is ok, as are all the bits on the undercarriage. But even when the car is stationary and I move the steering wheel, I can feel just a tick of a play. Any ideas what I should look into?

2. Drivers seat moves just a tick and at that moment I also hear "clack" - I can feel the movement with my arse. This happens only when cornering and sometimes under heavier breaking. When trying to get this movement and clacking sound when stationary I get no result, no matter how hard I try to rock the seat. Again - not influencing on the driving itself, but it makes me crazy.

3. In the past year I had a couple of power interruptions. It always happens at around 110 km/h (70 mph) on steady throttle. I have no idea what to look for, even when talking to the mechanics I got no result. There is even no fault on the computer. Has any of you had a similar problem?

Otherwise just hoping for some warm and dry weather, to change for the summer tyres and go for a spin round some bends.

Last edited:

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
Short update.

The car has been serviced by Seat dealership, so all new brake discs and pads are OEM. The price for the complete service was very good, so I decided to go along that way.

In the meantime I also replaced the radio unit, so now I can finally use my phone hands-free :funk:

While installing the microphone I also had a quick look about this problem:

"1. The steering has just a bit of a play - it has no influence on the handling, but is getting on my nerves, as I always want to have a car in top condition. It seems, that the steering column is ok, as are all the bits on the undercarriage. But even when the car is stationary and I move the steering wheel, I can feel just a tick of a play. Any ideas what I should look into?"

I have found out, that the play in the steering is comming from the system for the depth adjustment. I have to have the steering wheel completely pulled out. When I pushed it all the way back in, there was no play or noise, when turning the steering wheel. Well, pleased to have found the origin of the problem, but I have no solution how to sort this out. :confused:

Greets from the snow at the end of april :wtf::

It's been a fun drive (non-intentional) with the summer tires :drive1:

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
It's been a while since I've posted anything here :whistle:

Last year she got a couple more treats. First off we tinted the rear windows (front ones are not allowed by law)

Than I discovered some rust on the of the trunk, so the car was off to to the workshop, to get that sorted

At the same time the car was debaded and an OEM Cupra R rear bumber was fitted. Got one from UK in really mint condition. I decided to paint the "difusor" in matt black.

So this is how it stood by the end of 2016

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
In 2017 the mods are slowly gathering.

Found a great deal on Cupra R steering wheel, that needed refurbishing, which is getting sorted right now.

Also got a great deal on Cupra R 18" wheels, which I have to collect in Germany.

Ordered new set of tyres Yokohama advan neova AD08R.

Hopeing to get a set of brembos at a reasonable price.

Also wanted to go Stage 1, but the coilovers gave up in the process, so I will have to find another free slot, to get that sorted. New coils and sparks have already been fitted.

Also hope to do much more this season;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.