pre facelift pd130 (ASZ) engine to PD100 facelift

corndog

Nov 14, 2014
Hi folks

I have a some upgrade options available to me but i'm not sure which way to go.

I have a pre facelift mk iv sport with the ASZ engine and 6 speed box (recently bought)

I also have a facelift AXR (pd100) ibiza sport which already has lowering struts,springs and a rear ARB

I'm thinking about transferring the ASZ with or without box and driveshafts and hub carriers for potential brake upgrades into the facelift sport as it already drives and looks better.

I'm guessing i would have to swap the ECU and instrument cluster but i wonder if this is even possible from pre facelift to facelift. Any ideas? More i think about it, an engine swap is probably a big job.

I think the easier option would be to swap handling mods onto the pre facelift but it would also need front wishbone rear bushes amongst a few other things done.

part of the problem is I much prefer the black of the facelift over the silver of the pre facelift. (silly me)

I can't see an easy solution other than scavenge injectors and turbo from silver one. (don't want to do that yet) If the cars were in similar condition with and both with life left in them, what would you do?

Thank you!

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
You will have to swap Cluster but not ECU (unless you have both from the other car) and they will plug and play - the issue you will have is if the ASV is electronic on the PD100 you will have to use the one from the PD130 or remove it completely.

If you are only planning a stage 1 tune - Injectors, Turbo and ECU will suffice - PD100 engine will take around 200-220bhp before you need to start thinking about replacing the block to the PD130 version.

With Gearbox;

Engine, gearbox, selector cables, driveshafts, hubs, carriers and calipers, ECU and Instrument Cluster.

Without gearbox;

Engine, ECU and Instrument Cluster (easier to change the injectors, turbo and map it to suit)

corndog

Nov 14, 2014
Thank you badger. great info!

Looking at stage 1 for now then possibly a hybrid or something else alongside a clutch to bring it up to 200-220. once i'm more committed

Pretty sure the pd100 ASV is electronic, had noticed the ASZs one was vacumn opperated.

The pd100 already has a remap but i don't have any details on the map. It pulls as good as the stock 130 but certainly feels like it doesn't breath as easy! Both could do with the airways cleaned out a bit

I don't know whether i have the garret or KKK on the pd130 but will find out soon. Any idea if they will map the same/ have the same reliability?

Sort of on the fence for beyond stage 1 though as i consider myself an environmentalist hahaha. Handling mods allow less deceleration and better MPG but engine upgrades not so much!

one more thing. Anyone have good things to say about a front (and/or rear) strut brace?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
The PD130 standard on the Ibiza / Fabia and Polo platform were all KKK BV39 Turbos - Garrett are Golf / A3 / Octavia

They will map the same - I've personally never had a KKK blow and I've own three and all mapped hard.

The PD130 is a better basis for tuning if going hybrid (injectors and stronger block / 6 speed gearbox stronger)

Never felt the need for a strut brace personally, but some other rave about them.

corndog

Nov 14, 2014
planning on using a blacksmoke map initially on the pd130. Heard they are mostly pretty decent for stage 1.

Any opinions?

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
Personally? AVOID

I've studied these maps - they're just percentage tuned files and they're ok for a quick and cheap boost in power.

I wouldn't load one onto the car...

corndog

Nov 14, 2014
hmmm any other options that are good value? I'm thinking that it doesn't need to be so custom when components are pretty standard.

I do want to do it right but i reckon the ten minutes it takes to transfer a file shouldn't be super expensive ( of course there are R&D costs for some mappers) maybe this is naive!

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
Custom doesn't just mean because the parts are different. It's custom as it is tweaked to work with the components in the car. Due to the age, not every turbo will react exactly the same. The clutch may not take it so torque will have to be reduced in the lower RPM etc...

It could be classed a naive however, the EDC15P ECU in the Ibiza PD130 sports are massively covered by even the 'car park cloners' out there so you could get a cheap file done. Cheap doesn't mean it's safe - better getting one tailored to the car.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.