Almost Blocked inlet manifold.

ToledoSteve

OK moderator you may wish to move this as the car in question is a 99 tolly 110TDI. I have posted the first part of this saga in problems, issues. But to do the job I had to take off the inlet manifold and EGR and believe me, I was not prepared for what I found.!! This engine has done 96000 miles, I disconnected the EGR when I bought the car at 77000 and still the manifold was so clogged with oily filth that less than half the volumeof the inlet was available, so blocked was it. So to every TDI owner get that manifold off and have a look, its not difficult, probably the easiest maniflod to take off that I have encountered (on a car). (BTW my MOT emmissions are not bad in fact they are getting lower every year, the car makes no visible smoke and does it go better now it has a clean manifold. the engine seems quieter and mid range acceleration is noticeably improved.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
ToledoSteve said:
OK moderator you may wish to move this as the car in question is a 99 tolly 110TDI. I have posted the first part of this saga in problems, issues. But to do the job I had to take off the inlet manifold and EGR and believe me, I was not prepared for what I found.!! This engine has done 96000 miles, I disconnected the EGR when I bought the car at 77000 and still the manifold was so clogged with oily filth that less than half the volumeof the inlet was available, so blocked was it. So to every TDI owner get that manifold off and have a look, its not difficult, probably the easiest maniflod to take off that I have encountered (on a car). (BTW my MOT emmissions are not bad in fact they are getting lower every year, the car makes no visible smoke and does it go better now it has a clean manifold. the engine seems quieter and mid range acceleration is noticeably improved.
You say "I disconnected the EGR when I bought the car at 77000" do you mean you literally disconnected the EGR or did you block it off with a plate? I have always been told to stop the EGR system working totally you need to blank it off since if you just disconnect the wires it still leaks exhaust gases through.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Hmm you're making me think I should check the Passat....99k miles now, and I only bought it and disabled the EGR at 91k.

Fairly easy access too, as the engine in mine is longitudinally mounted :think:

What did you clean the manifold with ?

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
I've just used a spray can of brake cleaner to clean the exhaust baffles on my "classic" Suzi 380 two-stroke, from the Pound Shop (the spray, not the bike ;)).

Dissolved the baked-on carbon and oily goop in seconds, and saved a load of wire-brushing which I usually have to do. Should work for any crap in the manifold.

Need to wear gloves, it's not kind to hands.

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
craig-pd130 said:
Dissolved the baked-on carbon and oily goop in seconds, and saved a load of wire-brushing which I usually have to do. Should work for any crap in the manifold.
I don't think you're suggesting spraying something into the intake whilst it's attached to the engine, but in case anyone thinks of doing that: Be very, very careful what you spray into the intake of a diesel engine!!!

Anything combustible is a no-no, because the engine will potentially run away on it. Remember that a diesel has no throttle; the only thing controlling the revs is the amount of fuel sprayed in by the ECU. If you spray something combustible into the intake, even with the engine stopped, there could be enough excess left in the manifold to keep the engine running for a while. When it sucks that into the cylinders, there's a danger it could run away and over-rev itself.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
dmjw01 said:
I don't think you're suggesting spraying something into the intake whilst it's attached to the engine, but in case anyone thinks of doing that: Be very, very careful what you spray into the intake of a diesel engine!!!

Anything combustible is a no-no, because the engine will potentially run away on it. Remember that a diesel has no throttle; the only thing controlling the revs is the amount of fuel sprayed in by the ECU. If you spray something combustible into the intake, even with the engine stopped, there could be enough excess left in the manifold to keep the engine running for a while. When it sucks that into the cylinders, there's a danger it could run away and over-rev itself.

Very true. If the engine does keep running all you can do is stand back and hope it doesn`t blow up or if your brave/stupid enough you can quickly pull one of the intercooler pipes off and block the end off with something to stop air getting into the engine.

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
devonmikeyboy said:
If the engine does keep running all you can do is stand back and hope it doesn`t blow up
Or stick it in top gear, jam your foot down on the brake, release the clutch and pray! Either the engine will stop, or you'll have the ride of your life! :)

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
so if the EGR isnt working or blanked off where does the Exhaust Gas Recirculate too ?

ps- got some Millers Diesel Power Boost at work and selling like hot cakes - all the customers raving about it

anyone used it ?

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Fl@pper said:
so if the EGR isnt working or blanked off where does the Exhaust Gas Recirculate too ?

ps- got some Millers Diesel Power Boost at work and selling like hot cakes - all the customers raving about it

anyone used it ?
If the EGR is blanked off the all the exhaust gases go out the exhaust, none get returned into the air inlet.
Heared of Millers Diesel Power Boost never used it though so pass on that one.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
so if you are not using an egr - you blank it off

pretty sure just never played with a derv - yet

cheers by the way

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Do you mean Millers Diesel Power Plus, or is this Power Boost a different product ?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
devonmikeyboy said:
Very true. If the engine does keep running all you can do is stand back and hope it doesn`t blow up or if your brave/stupid enough you can quickly pull one of the intercooler pipes off and block the end off with something to stop air getting into the engine.
A good reason not to ditch your anti-shudder valve...

If you turn your engine off, the ASV throttles the intake for a few seconds so no air gets in.

ToledoSteve

Firstly, I have used Millers D.Clean since I,ve had the car. The only way to get rid of this gunk is to take the manifold off. (it is easy, even my gasket was like new) You need to use good (snap-on?) allen keys or the correct allen bit in a small ratchet. And in answer to the EGR opening in normal use with the electrical connector Dis-connected, I don,t see how it can, I tried to physically push it, no joy, I personally think only the vacuum can open it, but I will be making up a blanking plate just in case. (it is an easy job to do with just the top cover off.) Someone please tell me mine is not the only one like it. And yes for the first 77000 it was driven gently back and forth to work by a careful Doctor of Engineeering. (Nice guy but not a man to push a car to anywhertenear its limits, probably never been over 2000rpm before I got my greasy paws on it, so maybe thats why all the gunk. BUT if I were you I would still have a look, just for peace ofmind. Nearly forgot, I cleaned the gunk out with a screwdriver !!!! YES it was that solid (anyone ever cleaned out the centifugal oil filter on a Deutz Air cooled Diesel? it was like that) A big bruch of thekind used for Babys bottles, or oilways would be ideal. I soaked it in Parrafin (Kerosene) for 2 hrs first in a big bucket. All this just to tighten up the pipe feeding oil to the turbo. Car goes faster now though!!It WAS worth it.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
dmjw01 said:

This is why you spray it for 3-4 secs then stop, wait till the revs go down and a bit more then spray again,,, :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.