Engine Temperature

stevec0268

Jul 10, 2017
Wolverhampton
Hello all,

I have noticed the last couple of mornings that my engine coolant temperature is not going above 60 degrees. This is with a mixture of stop/start town driving and a small blast on a motorway. If I leave the engine running when I get to work for 10 minutes or so then the coolant temp drops to 50 degrees.

It is getting up to a normal 90 degrees on my home from work.

Does anyone else get this?

2011 Exeo ST Tech 143bhp

Steve

weasley

May 19, 2017
South Oxfordshire
Is it a diesel? If so then this can and does happen (my 140 bhp Yeti TDi does it too - I thought the thermostat might be stuck open but the dealer assured me "they all do that sir").

Diesels run with no air throttling, so lots of cold air goes through the engine all the time. In the winter this cold air can cool the engine quicker than the combustion and friction heat it, especially at idle where there is virtually no load on the engine.

JR_130

Mar 24, 2009
:think:even in slow traffic (40mph for roadworks) i noticed the temp would drop below 90 in really cold weather(zero or below)
if only SEAT made a winter Grille for the exeo :think:

stevec0268

Jul 10, 2017
Wolverhampton
Thank you for all your responses, yes it is a diesel, at least I now know its not abnormal.

I wonder if there is someway of blocking say 3/4 of the grille that doesnt look too tacky? Will have to have a think about that.

Steve

SEATA4

Nov 23, 2016
Do you have the air con on ? if so the cooling fans run .Its easy to check .

stevec0268

Jul 10, 2017
Wolverhampton
That is one of the reasons I went for a pre-facelift Tech, the heated leather seats were taken out of the spec and became part of a winter pack.

Mine is on an 11 plate so is pre-facelift, whoever bought the car was obviously tight and would n't shell out for the seats! Do you know if it is like someo other makes where all the wiring and elements are there, just need to add a fuse and the switches?

Riley TDi

Jan 12, 2015
Cumbria
I also have an 11 plate pre-facelift SE TECH saloon, mine doesn't have heated seats either. I agree its bloody cold in the mornings.

jasons76

May 9, 2016
I have a 59 plate se lux ST with heated leather I love them,i leave mine on about setting 3 during winter setting 6 is a bit hot i like the fact that the back gets warm as well on other cars with heated seats it is just the seat pad that gets warm, but back to original post my temp gets up to 90 while I am on the dual carriageway on cold mornings but as soon as I get into town the temp drops but the cabin is still warm it has always done it and doesn't seem a problem it gets up to 90 after about 10 mins of driving but the auxiliary heater gets the cabin warmer quick.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members