Fuel prices??

DorsetChap

Jun 3, 2016
Dorset
Cost and merits of different petrols aside, if you have a fairly aggressive remap based on v-power or momentum then I wonder whether the ECU could alter the timing quickly and sufficiently enough to avoid harmful detonation if you fill up on 'standard' unleaded.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Cost and merits of different petrols aside, if you have a fairly aggressive remap based on v-power or momentum then I wonder whether the ECU could alter the timing quickly and sufficiently enough to avoid harmful detonation if you fill up on 'standard' unleaded.

Yeah food for thought.
I’m no techy.
Mine was mapped with.V Power
I’ll only splash n dash if no v power fuel about. I d never use 95 unless there was no other option. Then only a litre or two max.
Would think most would do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

andycupra

status subject to change
its not going to cause damage if you put some 95 in. yes if you are remapped based on 98+ its going to reduce performance and the ECU will pull things back a bit.
but don't overestimate this effect.

Incidentally, the manual may list 98 - and thus they can use this for power figures etc.
But you can use 95, its within the range thats listed, but it does say you may see less performance. its not dangerous, its just about official power and emission figures they state to use 98

before anyone says why have a nice car and put poor fuel in, - i'm not telling anyone what to do, we are all adults so can and will make our own minds up. some people drive cars hard and pursue every last bit of performance, while others like to drive nice cars but don't drive them hard 99% of the time.

Last edited:

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Put 95 in your stage1/2 and you will feel the difference once driven hard. Maybe because I have it stripped and can feel/hear a lot more from the car. 5k+ 95 is no good.
I wish england had e85...I'd be on that daily no question of the cost.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

seatturbopower

Aug 1, 2012
birmingham
last night I dropped some fuel in that was 134.99 at the shell in Birmingham 5 ways, there use to be a Tesco over the road but that closed down!!
few yrs ago I remember just before a track day it was around 147.99 for Tesco super juice :blink:...........................and then you have when I passed my test it was about ...74p a litre 2003ish :(

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
last night I dropped some fuel in that was 134.99 at the shell in Birmingham 5 ways, there use to be a Tesco over the road but that closed down!!
few yrs ago I remember just before a track day it was around 147.99 for Tesco super juice :blink:...........................and then you have when I passed my test it was about ...74p a litre 2003ish :(
Tax is 57.95 pence per liter and then 20% vat on top of the total price....so do the math and the price of petrol isn't far of what it was when I was young, but wages go up in Parliament so must come from somewhere.
Isn't the UK great.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Just spent a load in Tesco food store.
Now I have 10p off per litre
Coupon.
Worth hunting out a Tesco pump now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.