names and titles

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
After the Xe bulb issue (Leon Mk2 section) raising questions over trust between members on the forum, I have a suggestion concerning usernames and titles.
Im on as 'seremotors' with the title 'SEAT Dealer' which is right and proper. However, as an example, I see some members describe themselves as 'Senior Member' which IF THEY ARE NOT is seriously misleading. No offence to anyone using this title, but you see my point?
Unless a person is a moderator or similarly well-positioned, the usernames should not be allowed to imply any authority on the site. Same way Im on here as a dealer because I am . . . . . .
Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

Mat

"senior member" is a default title if you have been registered 12months and have 500 posts within 12months. Also gets you more PM space ;)

Mat

can see where you're coming from. thinking senior = mod (guess some of us should be ;) :cartman: lol)

but mods etc have bold/itallic names

maybe default could change from "senior member" to "experienced member" or something similar

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
I usually do a little research before purchasing things from SCN. Visit user page and view previous posts. See if they've sold or bought anything before, consider how long they've been on the forum for and view their readers rides section which can also highlight what they've bought or sold on here.

Generally it's pretty easy to spot the members you can trust, but at the same time it's very easy to get conned.

Thankfully I've bought 3 things off other forum members and tonnes of stuff from seremotors and nothings ever gone wrong. Better success rate than I've had with eBay lol.

Interestingly my usertitle and many others, is of no use at all lol. It just hints at the strange combination of trim levels my Ibiza now consists of.

Oh and one final point. There's nothing to prevent a newbie or normal member calling themselves a senior member

Mat

yeah, but we could tell by looking at posts and length of time if he/she is "senior". plus username would be in itallics

edit: if a newbie did do that, i'm sure a mod would spot it and change it ;)

xxNickyxx

Mar 22, 2008
Nairn, near Inverness
I see where you're coming from, the title can be a tad misleading, but I normally check out a members profile and posts before buying anything from them, and normally do it through paypal.

We had major problems on a previous forum I was on, where one member in particular got into a lot of trouble with selling stuff on the forum (to the point the police were involved).

I suppose a rating system or something would help, but not sure how practical that would be.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
After the Xe bulb issue (Leon Mk2 section) raising questions over trust between members on the forum,

I must add here that Xe was in breach of forum rules from the outset. In this case, mods and admins failed to spot his transgression.

Would you trust someone that breaks the rules for their own gain?

SCN have good rules on buying/selling to protect the forum and its members. A couple of the moderators give a lot of time to advert approvals. We haven't time to do more.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I've always taken them as a comment to the person named above but there has to be a default catergory and name i suppose. I change mine often as i'm just a rebel to authority.

Worth remembering they are obviously easily editable and would be boring if they all stated name rank and number.

Personally i wouldn't rely on what someone called themselves as a guide to being a straight god fearing honest trustworthy person at all.

The rating system has been seen and tried and all over along with reputation scores etc etc, end of the day not one of em is 100% reliable, just look at ebay for example.

If someone changed to 'I Am Noah' would we all start sending him wooden planks and animals in pairs without asking questions and doing some sort of background check?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise