MK3 Leon Cupra, what we know

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Just read whatcar. If its more understated than previous Cupra's then it's gonna be pretty boring as the original Mk1 Leon Cupra was like an SE with different wheels and the mk2 was like to FR with shiny black bits and bigger wheels.

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Diff - :yes:
Power - Expected
Price :no:
All wheel drive :no:

No mention of DSG in the Auto Express article either.

Spending that much, it's gonna need to be fully loaded with toys as standard.

Also, need to reserve judgement on the looks - hope its nowhere near as dull as the FR.

It has been mentioned that its still under consideration, so not ruled out.

But my own opinion is that No DSG = means no sale for me. Which will likely see my moving to another marque in the group.

All wheel drive just simply isn't on their marketing agenda at all. Whether that's by choice or group intervention remains a mystery.

I think AutoExpress are wide of the mark on price, maybe with a fair selection of extras as standard they are more realistic, but the basic Golf GTI MK7 is under £26k with no options.

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
If they don't do DSG as an option I think they will lose a few sales and would be a very silly/foolish move. In the unlikely even of me considering a MK3 LC, it would definitely not be a manual.

Its not like its going to compete with the same car with four wheel drive anyway (S3/Golf R) on marketing/brochure accelaration figures etc.

Last edited:

Balddee2

Oct 10, 2009
Personally I'd not pay the extra for DSG hence whether its an option or not wouldn't sway me into the not buying it camp, but appreciate it'd be a better marketing move to offer it as an option.

reiben101

Thumbs up for the article but I would like some videos like with 5 door version :)

reiben101

Uh sorry wrong topic :rolleyes:

OT there are some new pics on autoweek.nl, I think exhausts look slightly different than older pics.

kenboon

May 28, 2005
Derby
I like the look of that!

I particularly like this "The Cupra range will be front-wheel drive only, and use six-speed manual or six-speed dual-clutch transmissions." I love the DSG on my current car and really am glad to hear its going to be on the new Cupra! I also like the that there will be a proper LSD on it too! If I can get a Labrador in the back, I think it will be my next car :)

stevie steve

Nov 27, 2006
Clevedon
I quite like the sound of your current car :funk:

Yeah its sounds nice doesn't it. Always grates me that you have to wait for the one with all the toys and horses to come out!!

kenboon

May 28, 2005
Derby
I do love my current car to be honest. But I do have a real soft spot for Seats :)

It would look brilliant with a Pano roof! I like the alloys too :)

I quite like the sound of your current car :funk:

Yeah its sounds nice doesn't it. Always grates me that you have to wait for the one with all the toys and horses to come out!!

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I like the look of that!

I particularly like this "The Cupra range will be front-wheel drive only, and use six-speed manual or six-speed dual-clutch transmissions." I love the DSG on my current car and really am glad to hear its going to be on the new Cupra! I also like the that there will be a proper LSD on it too! If I can get a Labrador in the back, I think it will be my next car :)

There's nothing to like about the looks,Its a FR SC, With Golf R wheels basically the wheels are fitted to test the car with 19" wheels, They cant test out a car fitted with Cupra bumpers or else the whole world would see it. There was another car spotted a few weeks ago with MK2 LCR wheels fitted and 345mm brakes.

The Cupra will have different wheels and will look different.

I also think that what they mean by LSD is that it will have the XDS system again as per MK2 LCR.

Last edited:

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
There's nothing to like about the looks,Its a FR SC, With Golf R wheels basically the wheels are fitted to test the car with 19" wheels, They cant test out a car fitted with Cupra bumpers or else the whole world would see it. There was another car spotted a few weeks ago with MK2 LCR wheels fitted and 345mm brakes.

The Cupra will have different wheels and will look different.

I also think that what they mean by LSD is that it will have the XDS system again as per MK2 LCR.

I am pretty sure it will not be the XDS system as what I have read indicates it will get a proper LSD rom the GTI offering. Could be wrong but that is the impression I got.

"but the new car could borrow the proper mechanical limited slip-differential hardware that VW is offering in the new 227bhp Golf GTI Performance pack."

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I bet you SEAT will sell that as an optional extra aswell ;)

The GTI Performance pack includes brakes aswell looking on the VW website

kenboon

May 28, 2005
Derby
Just watched the Autocar.co.uk review for the new GTI. Looks like the new diff works well :) http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/volkswagen-golf-gti-mk7-video-review

I am pretty sure it will not be the XDS system as what I have read indicates it will get a proper LSD rom the GTI offering. Could be wrong but that is the impression I got.

"but the new car could borrow the proper mechanical limited slip-differential hardware that VW is offering in the new 227bhp Golf GTI Performance pack."

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members