Buy used or new through a broker

Big poppa John

Jan 8, 2018
Staffordshire
Hi , I believe you can use any broker but some points needed to be taken care of. As you're going to invest a lot in your car whether it's a Used or new one you must verify the details of broker accreditation. Before, finalizing anything you must think twice. In my personal experience I have purchased a car through broker and In my case I have satisfactorily checked all the details and major things that should be kept in our mind.

I have also convincingly verified all the dealers on the web and also visited some of them after consulting with my broker. Make sure to do you homework and check the dealership is verified or not.

Broker can be very useful if you don't have any idea with some aspects of purchasing but make sure to go through the web before anything. So, its your choice I am in favor of broker but with certain standards.

I've never used a broker before but I've checked reviews on-line and I'd welcome people to give me their personal experiences with any of them.

Do you have a list of items I should confirm before placing my order?

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
...I fired off a quick e-mail to the product team in Milton Keynes this afternoon, so if I get a reply before you get a definitive answer elsewhere I'll let you know...
Had a response from the Product Team:

There is an issue with Configurator. I will get this amended. You can order Winter Pack with Bucket Seats.

Even though the bucket seats have heated seats included, the customer would still pay the full amount if they selected the winter pack.

Not really sure if that's good news or bad?

Big poppa John

Jan 8, 2018
Staffordshire
Had a response from the Product Team:

Not really sure if that's good news or bad?

So in effect that means I'll be paying twice for heated seats if I select winter pack!!!! Just doesn't seem right.

So I have two options. 1. Have the heated bucket seats at £1300 and do without the heated washers and headlamp washers or 2. Stick with the standard seats which don't look as nice and add winter pack for £350 and get heated seats, headlamp washers and heated screen washers.

Are the standard seats the same as those found in the FR?

CAPS_LOCK_STUCK

Aug 11, 2017
Worcestershire
Had a few figures back from brokers. Buyanewcaronline.co.uk are the cheapest followed by Broker4Cars, Discounted New Cars and Autoebid. There's about £400 difference between the 4 mentioned. Have any of you guys used any of these brokers? Do you think it's worth trying to play each one off the other or will I be wasting my time?
I can't decide whether to go with ACC, I've never had it so do I really need it? Then again it's £155. Also can't make my mind up whether to add the Driving Assist Pack at £350 the Advanced Comfort & Driving Pack at £620 or to leave both off. Have any of you guys added any of these and if so how useful are they or not?
I do still have 2 dillema though, I was set on Mystery Blue but it seems every facelift Leon I see at the minute is Mystery Blue. I also like the look of the Urban Silver Metallic in the brochure but I haven't seen one in the flesh. Has anybody seen one? Not sure which to go with now!
It's still not clear what the situation is with the bucket seats and the winter pack. If anybody has both on their car did they spec buckets and winter pack or just buckets and it came with the headlamp washers and screen nozzle?

I have used Broker4Cars 4 times, they don't always communicate brilliantly but I have found if you drop them an e mail they will get back to you within 24 hours, otherwise it's always been a smooth professional largely trouble free experience, and I got my car in 12 weeks so can't complain, my previous 2 new cars were also through them.

These brokers tend to use one franchised dealer to place all their orders through so that dealer gets huge mass sales discounts from SEAT which makes the prices so tempting, the disparity between any of them will just be down to what the dealer can offer in relation to their deal with SEAT in this case. My car was ordered by a dealer in Chesterfield and delivered to my drive, most brokers charge a brokeridge fee so you should ask them what they charge, I think Broker4Cars charges £185 but that includes the delivery to your door as well.

Big poppa John

Jan 8, 2018
Staffordshire
I have used Broker4Cars 4 times, they don't always communicate brilliantly but I have found if you drop them an e mail they will get back to you within 24 hours, otherwise it's always been a smooth professional largely trouble free experience, and I got my car in 12 weeks so can't complain, my previous 2 new cars were also through them.

These brokers tend to use one franchised dealer to place all their orders through so that dealer gets huge mass sales discounts from SEAT which makes the prices so tempting, the disparity between any of them will just be down to what the dealer can offer in relation to their deal with SEAT in this case. My car was ordered by a dealer in Chesterfield and delivered to my drive, most brokers charge a brokeridge fee so you should ask them what they charge, I think Broker4Cars charges £185 but that includes the delivery to your door as well.

Lovely. Were you the first registered owner on each occasion and were all the manuals/service books present when you took delivery? Do you get the opportunity to have a good look around the car before signing for it from the delivery driver? And how long did you have to wait for the V5C document?
I've read on the VW forum that sometimes there is a company address on the V5C along with your actual name and address. Did you have this? And finally do you pay before delivery or after?
Sorry for all the questions

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
So in effect that means I'll be paying twice for heated seats if I select winter pack!!!! Just doesn't seem right.

So I have two options. 1. Have the heated bucket seats at £1300 and do without the heated washers and headlamp washers or 2. Stick with the standard seats which don't look as nice and add winter pack for £350 and get heated seats, headlamp washers and heated screen washers.

Are the standard seats the same as those found in the FR?

TBF I have the winter pack and find the headlight washers ok for snow and mud but they don’t really work well for road traffic film, which is frustrating as 90% of the dirt on my car is just that. It also drinks washer fluid in the winter months as it only washes the light when there on. Funny enough someone has mentioned in this thread.

Headlight wash delete or reduction code ?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...t/forums/showthread.php?t=442492&share_type=t

I personally find the he heated jets bit useless. To use them you will need to operate the wipers which if it’s a cold morning the windscreen will be iced up, and you will just wear your wipers out on the ice. Would be better if you could spray without wiping.

BUT heated seats are amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
...So I have two options. 1. Have the heated bucket seats at £1300 and do without the heated washers and headlamp washers or 2. Stick with the standard seats which don't look as nice and add winter pack for £350 and get heated seats, headlamp washers and heated screen washers.
Option 1.

You get the seats you really want and don't pay for headlamp wash and heated washer jets that you don't really need.

Last edited:

Par

Mar 22, 2004
Fife
Lovely. Were you the first registered owner on each occasion and were all the manuals/service books present when you took delivery? Do you get the opportunity to have a good look around the car before signing for it from the delivery driver? And how long did you have to wait for the V5C document?
I've read on the VW forum that sometimes there is a company address on the V5C along with your actual name and address. Did you have this? And finally do you pay before delivery or after?

I have also used Broker4cars with no issues at all saving around £7K off list price.

Car was delivered to my door with 7 miles on the clock on a flatbed. Driver gave me plenty of time to look around the car and check I was happy. The V5C document came through a couple of weeks later with only my name on the form and declared as first owner. I bought it through a PCP deal so paid the balance of the deposit to the finance company before delivery I think.

CAPS_LOCK_STUCK

Aug 11, 2017
Worcestershire

Yes and yes for registered owner and manuals, about 4 weeks for V5C, my address on document, what you mentioned I think is illegal now because the car in your example was bought as a fleet vehicle which is obviously cheaper but technically fraudulent (I think).

All the sales stuff including e mails from mine clearly states in writing, "Owner and first registered keeper".

Deposit at point of order, think mine was £500, then balance through whichever method you choose once car has physically arrived at dealership so the week before it's delivered.

Some of this may change dependant on vehicle manufacturer (deals & discount levels)), I can only speak for my experience ordering Seat, Nissan and Citroen.

Big poppa John

Jan 8, 2018
Staffordshire
Yes and yes for registered owner and manuals, about 4 weeks for V5C, my address on document, what you mentioned I think is illegal now because the car in your example was bought as a fleet vehicle which is obviously cheaper but technically fraudulent (I think).

All the sales stuff including e mails from mine clearly states in writing, "Owner and first registered keeper".

Deposit at point of order, think mine was £500, then balance through whichever method you choose once car has physically arrived at dealership so the week before it's delivered.

Some of this may change dependant on vehicle manufacturer (deals & discount levels)), I can only speak for my experience ordering Seat, Nissan and Citroen.

Many thanks

adriaticman

Jan 13, 2008
essex
Had a few figures back from brokers. Buyanewcaronline.co.uk are the cheapest followed by Broker4Cars, Discounted New Cars and Autoebid. There's about £400 difference between the 4 mentioned. Have any of you guys used any of these brokers? Do you think it's worth trying to play each one off the other or will I be wasting my time?
I can't decide whether to go with ACC, I've never had it so do I really need it? Then again it's £155. Also can't make my mind up whether to add the Driving Assist Pack at £350 the Advanced Comfort & Driving Pack at £620 or to leave both off. Have any of you guys added any of these and if so how useful are they or not?
I do still have 2 dillema though, I was set on Mystery Blue but it seems every facelift Leon I see at the minute is Mystery Blue. I also like the look of the Urban Silver Metallic in the brochure but I haven't seen one in the flesh. Has anybody seen one? Not sure which to go with now!
It's still not clear what the situation is with the bucket seats and the winter pack. If anybody has both on their car did they spec buckets and winter pack or just buckets and it came with the headlamp washers and screen nozzle?

Only had my car in Urban Silver since 7/01/18 covered 100 miles so far as had work done to car paint protection and another upgrade. Supplying dealer liked colour so much that his next demo is ordered in same colour.
I`ve also got ACC together with DSG I`m using it as much as possible. Works so well around town when driving conditions allow and so easy to use. Breaking assist is great once you get used to it around town. Together with cruise control helps to keep within the law!

Big poppa John

Jan 8, 2018
Staffordshire
Only had my car in Urban Silver since 7/01/18 covered 100 miles so far as had work done to car paint protection and another upgrade. Supplying dealer liked colour so much that his next demo is ordered in same colour.
I`ve also got ACC together with DSG I`m using it as much as possible. Works so well around town when driving conditions allow and so easy to use. Breaking assist is great once you get used to it around town. Together with cruise control helps to keep within the law!

That's good to know. What paint protection and other upgrade have you had??? Any pictures???
Think I've settled on the options I want - ACC, Kessy, buckets, SEAT Sound, Pano roof and camera pack, just need to decide on colour now.

Big poppa John

Jan 8, 2018
Staffordshire
Ref Broker4cars - do they introduce you to a dealer or do you deal with them entirely (pay all monies to them?). How much was the broker fee? Were there any hidden fees?
I've looked at the reviews and they are mixed however the good ones far outweigh the bad but this seems to be the case with all the brokers.
Did you guys pay the deposit with a credit card and the balance via bank transfer?
Any hints or tips appreciated.

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
Why would you put your hard earned cash into a rapidly depreciating item like a car? Lust lease it and chop in for another after three years

I would never buy a car new. It's just money down the drain.

If it's an appreciating classic that's different.

Www.vehiclesavers.com is your friend.

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Why would you put your hard earned cash into a rapidly depreciating item like a car? Lust lease it and chop in for another after three years

And Leasing isnt throwing it down the drain? Both methods lose you money.But horses for courses.

I understand leasing is a cheaper way to get into a brand new car and if you like swapping your cars every 3 years. If you don't mind a basic Cupra then it makes complete sense. Adding options to a lease is silly as you pay full VAT on these.

Also anything you do to the car will need to be returned back to standard when the lease is up. It never feels like its my car, so i don't bother to put in the effort to look after it, much like a rented house. You cant tell me your going to landscape and paint a house even though its not yours?

Ive ran all the excel spreadsheets in the world to work out the most cost effective way for what suits ME and outright is the way. As long as you can get a discount that is close to or more than 20% of the cars OTR Price then your laughing, as soon as you drive the car off the forecourt its just lost 20% of its value in VAT.

silles

May 4, 2017
that's why I buy used cars, half year old FR, with 1k on clock was 7k cheaper than new. Still had the brand new car smell :) and as a bonus I only had to wait 3 days from "order" to pickup ...

Big poppa John

Jan 8, 2018
Staffordshire

To lease a car to my spec would cost £13,283 over 3years.
I can buy the car new for £28,500. 2014 Cupras are still fetching £15-16,000. So after 3years a 300 4drive with lots of desirable options is going to be worth at least that amount.
Selling my current car and getting a £15,000 loan to cover the cost is cheaper a month than leasing so for me buying outright is better than leasing and I will own the car and can do whatever I want with it.
It all depends on an individual's circumstances.

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
its never your car unless you pay full cash for it as most people take out a loan or PCP. so the bank or the finance company owns it.

any car is money down the drain and each to their own. I would rather lease it, you get warranty and everything else and just hand it back. move onto the new one or sth else. once you are beyond 3 years you are into extended warranty and more cost and issues as time goes on. cars are throw away these days and they are not built to last.

for me on the Cupra 290 black it was a no brainer. £1500 down, £156 per month for 2 years and 10k miles. car tax included. . so that's £5200 over 2 years (£216 per month all in) stupid cheap for the car and its performance. there was no dealer offering me £216 per month all in for 10k miles a year. its was more like £300 per month.

mate of mine has an £80k range rover which I told him not to buy or even consider as they are a nightmare. after 6 months its been a mare and its a lemon. Land rover might be buying it back. he has had several loan cars but its still loads of your $$ gone which would be better spent else where.

the thought of spending £25k on a seat is truly frightening. and you drive it down the road and you see the £50 pound notes left on the road.

returning a car to standard at lease end is no bother at all. in my case its jack up the front, take off the front low lip spoiler, unbolt the uprated engine mount , unplug the DTUK box and take off the side skirts. hour tops. job done. no company looks under the car as they will drive it straight to the auctions and once signed off then its next owners problem.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.