Where do I start?

zig

Dec 1, 2011
I bought a rotary polisher off ebay (its a makita) was pretty cheap

A good package of pads/products is the 3m perfect it range it's colour coded so you cant go wrong..

The general process is like this....

1.jet wash car
2.snow foam (if you want)
3.rinse
4.wash with a good quality shampoo (I use megs gold class).. make sure you use the 2 bucket method and NEVER use a sponge only a lambs wool wash mitt
5.clay bar
6.wash again
7.dry with a good quality drying towel
8.inspect your paint and decide what you need to do

Your paint looks like its been through a car wash every weekend and washed using a sponge!! Sponges act like sand paper on your cars paint as the dust/dirt sticks to the surface and becomes an abrasive layer.. this is why you need to use a deep pile mitt.

Go round the car and inspect any scratches.. anything you can feel with your thumb nail will not be able to be polished out completely BUT you will be able make a significant improvement.

You will be able to get a 60% (ish) improvement without using a polishing machine and just using something like poor boys black hole by hand... you might want to do this first before you get into machine polishing.. If you were to do this then I would go poor boys.. then a good quality wax... then a something like megs liquid wax to finish.

Now IF you want to machine it.....

1.get yourself a strong LED torch
2.pick a panel to start on and mask up shut lines, rubber trim etc
3.split the panel into 2-4 sections depending on the size
4.start with a soft pad and light polish first on a slow speed and give the area a pass. The important thing to remember is to give keep the rotary moving to stop heat build up which will knacker the paint. Make sure you work the polish out properly then wipe over with a microfiber cloth.
5.get your LED and inspect the area.. how does it look.. if it still looks **** work up to a harder polish/pad compound. Remember harder pads and more aggressive polishes WILL leave marks on your paint that will have to be refined out again by working back down to a light pad/polish

Pull away the tape between to section ... eventually you will get to a point like this

12033145395_309efe3be9_z_d.jpg

This shows a 90% reduction in defects which I was happy with..

There is a very good and very in depth guide here http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=detailing%20world%20machine%20polishing%20guide&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.detailingworld.co.uk%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D66024&ei=0CjYU_T4DK3H7AbF-oHwDw&usg=AFQjCNFSK_RPtMRWZxVbo8KyO2Rh89Zqmg&sig2=S7HtvSfozJh5aNpS4xwg9g

The R32oc also has a very good detailing section

My top tip is make sure you dont use too much compound on the pad and work it out properly or you will be left with buffer trails.

You have a black car I feel you pain

11998187445_2678734d19_z_d.jpg

50/50 on the rear bumper

11998495054_5a9fbf2e90_z_d.jpg

before

11998468443_433e8f0403_z_d.jpg

after

Im by no means very good with this stuff but im learning :D

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
That's just sick! Proper great job, I'm looking forward on getting stuck in :) thanks chaps, all the pics info advice and help has been a god send .

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
Well I've got thou all of Junkman's YouTube vids watching intensively! And that took me a total of 4 hours so doing will probably take me 4 weeks lol, can't wait :) will start it on Monday.
Will do a list of things I'm buying to check over with you guys first. Cheers all.

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
Cheeky I know, anyone got any pads up for grabs? 6 or 6.5, or could anyone recommend pads that aren't a mortgage to buy? Thanks guys. ;)

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
I'm on my way peeps :) anything else I need here apart from a bleeding plug!

ytesybah.jpg

Almost there indeed. Having a few options of pads and accompanying compounds gives you more flexibility/control.
Chemical Guys hex logic pads are kind of standard i think. And compounds 32 to 38. But that's preference.
Untitled-1-1.jpg

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
Wow that stuff must be the balls!! Ok guys I have an issue :( it polisher I've got has no plug just the pins
usegy7y6.jpg

(I know I need to cut my nails lol) so could I just cut and pop a plug on? Cheers peeps.

Last edited:

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Wow that stuff must be the balls!! Ok guys I have an issue :( it polisher I've got has no plug just the pins
usegy7y6.jpg

(I know I need to cut my nails lol) so could I just cut and pop a plug on? Cheers peeps.

That looks like an American plug.
Might need a transformer. Make sure you check the voltage and get an adaptor for the plug

DannyJigg

Jul 4, 2013
Southend, Essex
If it were me I'd either snip the lead and fit a new plug or use a travel adaptor. As long as it's 230-240v you'll be fine.

Looks a bit like the plug from a flymo?!?

Edit: beaten to it- could be American. Does it say 110v anywhere?

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members