Not sure what exhaust parts I need :(

Scottish Storm

Oct 20, 2013
Plus he didn't use the exhaust hanger for the straight through, but the rubbers still hanging there so j don't even have to buy one of them

Win win. Lol

Scottish Storm

Oct 20, 2013
Okay so I can't find a reducer pipe off the shelf. Two options now. Go to a custom place and get one made up or get a standard back box to fit for now so it can go for it's MOT.

TO THE CUSTOM SHOP!

Scottish Storm

Oct 20, 2013
Custom shop couldn't fit me in so I went and got a back box. Forty quid and it doesn't fit properly. :(

4aquse4y.jpg

reruha6a.jpg

It's not even so much that it is too long, I can deal with that, it's just that the angle is all wrong. I reckon the hanger has been done wrongly on the box.

gegurydu.jpg

So I called up RJM in glenrothes and they are fitting me in tomorrow at 8.20 to get it done. Yay!!!

This should get me there

hyjupura.jpg

And if you have a weak stomach look away. This is how the centre exit box was fitted to the centre pipe

e2e2adev.jpg

qu2aququ.jpg

It's hard to get a shot of exactly how crapply this was done.

a9u6e6ub.jpg

But I tried all the same.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Just in case that you do not know this, all modern VAG exhaust sections are joined by using "jointing pieces" - they tend to be same diameter at both ends. All modern VAG replacement exhaust sections will be manufactured to be just a bit too long, basically to give the person sawing a duff section out a fighting chance of making a proper repair even if they misjudged where to cut the old part. So, I'd always consider that when replacing two pieces, that a bit of one or both needs cut out so that when the parts are aligned there is a very slight gap - that way the jointing piece can be fitted without it causing a misalignment in the pipework. Does any of that make any sense or explain why you are having problems?

One other question, have you been buying VAG parts or aftermarket copies? Also, for some clever reason, Seat do tend to change exhaust parts design during a production run, I had a problem with my daughter's old 6K Ibiza 1.4 8v, after giving local Seat dealer all the correct info, they ordered in the wrong rear box "oh, it must be the other one you need!" I'd rather think that the parts catalogue would have made that clear, the car was on its original exhaust.

Last edited:

Scottish Storm

Oct 20, 2013
Yeah Rum, I was prepared to cut it but it looked like one of the hanging brackets has been taken off and rewelded so it is sitting at the wrong angle, hence the pipe facing upwards rather than roughly parallel to the floor.

Scottish Storm

Oct 20, 2013
Well that's my bank account a but lighter. The forty quid to get the exhaust to fit properly was okay but getting a new flexible pipe welded in stung a bit.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'm guessing that was you getting the front flexi section replaced and not an extra flexi to align the new exhaust bits you bought? If it was the front flexi being replaced, I'd reckon that what you paid would still be a lot cheaper than replacing that section, I've paid to get that done twice, once when the custom exhaust guy fitted all he could get quickly - that caused a nasty resonance and exhaust hit the underside of car while reversing up a steep driveway, and once when I supplied the correct flexi repair section! (Ouch + Ouch)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.