1.9 TDI PD timing belt change intervals

130bhptdi

Full dealer history from start at 10000 mile intervals so first cambelt change was at 105 at 4 years and then again at 165 at 7 years so what would be the next suggested 245 or in 3 yrs time?

Lew Hardy

Hi,

I've just been on the phone to my local RAC approved Repairers garage in York to book in a service. They said last service they noticed I would need a new timing belt after 80,000 miles or when the car is 4 years old. I've only done 62,000 miles but the car's 5 years old now so I decided to get it changed. They've told me for the new timing belt, water pump, service and labour, it'll be just short of £450.

Not too bad considering the service will be £100 and much cheaper than a new engine would cost! It gets replaced a week on Sat and I'm glad I've spent a little extra now to know it should be fine for another 4 years.

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
full dealer history from start at 10000 mile intervals so first cambelt change was at 105 at 4 years and then again at 165 at 7 years so what would be the next suggested 245 or in 3 yrs time?

thats alot of mileage.

Mine 5 yrs old next march. With 93,000 on clock. Had it from new.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The proper cambelt interval for 1.9 diesels is 60,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. You're taking a terrible risk leaving it until 100,000.

Last edited:

frazpot

Sep 27, 2011
York
Hi,

I've just been on the phone to my local RAC approved Repairers garage in York to book in a service. They said last service they noticed I would need a new timing belt after 80,000 miles or when the car is 4 years old. I've only done 62,000 miles but the car's 5 years old now so I decided to get it changed. They've told me for the new timing belt, water pump, service and labour, it'll be just short of £450.

Not too bad considering the service will be £100 and much cheaper than a new engine would cost! It gets replaced a week on Sat and I'm glad I've spent a little extra now to know it should be fine for another 4 years.

Im due an MOT and the Service light flashes up when i start up. Milage is just over 40,000 and is a 55 plate. Do you think the timing belt will need changing?
Got a price for £200 for the service but then they mentioned the timing belt adding £321. Plus an MOT!!!! Im in york so would be interested to know where you took it to.

Cheers

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.