Leon Cupra Changes - Effective January 2008 - CupraK1

realneal00_0

Emocion Red Mk2 Cupra
Oct 5, 2008
Newcastle upon tyne
My Cupra is a 57 plate and I'm sure when i bought it second hand it was sold to me with the Xenons being an optional extra! Have I been had? Not that it matters coz I love the car.
Also is that picture of the 2008 aero kit accurate? I've never seen it with the black rear diffuser plastic bumper before. it's usually body coloured i thought? Can it be bought as either?

Last edited:

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
They changed to Xenons in march / april 2008.
There were a few cars built earlier without Xenons, but these as far as anyone knows were mistakes.
Check the build date. It's stamped on the passenger side of the bulkhead below the skuttle in the engine bay.
Failing that, the registration date.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Someone advised me that there is an easy way to spot which Cupras should have Xenons - by looking at the Model Year ;)

Assuming it is a 2007 UK Spec Cupra with a chassis number starting with VSSZZZ1PZ7R it should have Xenons and silver grille as stock. A UK Spec 2008 Cupra with a chassis number starting with VSSZZZ1PZ8R will have the Black Grille and non Xenon lights as standard :)

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Someone advised me that there is an easy way to spot which Cupras should have Xenons - by looking at the Model Year ;)

Assuming it is a 2007 UK Spec Cupra with a chassis number starting with VSSZZZ1PZ7R it should have Xenons and silver grille as stock. A UK Spec 2008 Cupra with a chassis number starting with VSSZZZ1PZ8R will have the Black Grille and non Xenon lights as standard :)

Are you sure that's right?

The 2008 spec Cupra came in for all builds from sometime in May 2007, my July 2007 Cupra had the black grill as standard. I'd don't have the chassis number anymore but I'm sure it was 8R as I discussed this with the dealer before I saw the car to check it was MY08.

Xenons were standard up until a point which from memory was sometime in the beginning of 2008.

So an MY08 Cupra may or may not have standard Xenons.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds

I can now confirm that that theory isn't right :-(

My Cupra VIN was VSSZZZ1PZ8R standard Xenons as would be many Cupras. The dropping of Xenons happened about halfway through the model year, so maybe model year 2008.5?

MY08 was the grill change and that was it.

As someone said earlier the best way of telling is the build week. Looking at the first post of this thread Xenons were dropped week 40 something of 2007.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise