Change in design of TFSi engine. Important issue with fuel pump and engine wear

MrT

Stole my radio!!
Aug 10, 2007
Anyone want to check mine for me, dont really know what im doing! £10 your way.

Now I know there is a recession but given the work involved somehow £10 is not quite that appealing at the mo..............:whistle:

Have a look at the guides, and if you feel confident and have the tools then you can keep that £10 for Friday night...Everybody wins then.....:D

FRTR

i have the same problem on my 2006 Fr tfsi,the car has only tbe supersprint exhaust and started to fuel cut at esprcially at hi speeds.
my mechanics told fuel pump+cam shaft has to be changed for 900 Euro!!

Does any one knows:
1-tbe exhaust trigger or stimulate the problem
2-can i blame the Seat to get discount

FRTR

According to TSB (tech service bulletin) of VW USA problem seen on 2006 2007 engines.Measures taken in 2007 as more durable teflon plate on follower. Thats why i dont think 2008 model has the problem. Also as i know the problem seen only on 200 hp version on golf,audi a4,jettA,Leon,passat.

FRTR

My part come out like this after 40000km.service changed only the follower.they Said while the problem dissappears it is solved only by follower change. Cam lobe check is not necessary. i hope they are right and i dont Face worse prob in the future..

i could not insert the pic : but my cam follower changed to concave and no teflon plate on it..

Last edited by a moderator:

kezFR07

now with ko4 power
Jun 15, 2008
yorkshire
got a cupra just changed mine been in fae new 22k miles, small bit of wear. Paid a pro to do it only took him 20 mins but cost me 30 notes. Piece of mind though pricelss :)

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
New issues with regards to the fuel pump which most know about is the seals on the pump.

Make regular checks to the dipstick to make sure fuel isnt getting into the engine ;)

Mak1

I have seen this thread on here for ages but have never actually seen the issue on a SEAT, ever! Has anyone actual had a fault on there vehicle due to the wear??? I know people say when they remove it, it is worn but doesn't everything wear?

What engine is the pump seal issue affecting? I've only ever seen this on the PD's engines.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
The wear is only part of the problem, the cam follower is teflon coated and can over time wear through entirely which means you can have bits of the metal casing floating around your engine. The worse resulting damage can occur when the cam shaft lobe is worn and damaged as a result of the cam follower wearing out prematurely.

Several cars in the US had to have new camshafts fitted as a result of the issue, in the states they did a recall on the engine. This is the biggest problem, and some of the later engines were unaffected, though the cam follower still shows wear, the cam-shaft lobe is harder and less likely to be damaged.

The issue is really one of occasional maintenance, the part does wear, its teflon coating is designed to lessen wear over time. But the lifetime of the coating has been over-estimated it appears. So its worth inspecting occasionally, and any signs of excessive wear through the teflon coating the cam bucket follower should be replaced at the earliest chance.

For the sake of a £25+ part once every 20k miles or so, has to be worth it, to save a very costly engine repair bill.

Its certainly rare, on the later than 05 engines, but it doesn't mean preventative measures should be ignored.

Seals on the replacement pump internal kits seem to be more problematic though, than this initial problem.

Last edited:

rödcupra

Sep 25, 2010
65648km
25jdrpl.jpg

idglr5.jpg

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise