GUIDE: Fitting Dension Gateway 100 (or other iPod connector)

BaggyHTID

I love lamp!
Oct 2, 2007
Nuneaton
Has anyone tested an iphone 4 with the ipod kit?
I'm just a bit confused about which one to get, i've got a pre-fl (57) with mp3-HU and bluetooth so have the larger mfd, if someone could help out i'd appreciate it!
cheers
Baggy

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
I'd also be interested in this as looking to have GW16VC1 fitted soon.

Looking at maybe getting iPhone instead off using dedicated iPod for car.

If iPhone connected to iPod docking cable for music playback, can I still use the phone to make/receive calls which would be connected to factory fit Bluetooth?

Also interested to hear if anyone using Dension with iPhone 4.

Cheers

alesi27

My other car's a Mustang!
May 2, 2009
Cork, Ireland.
Hi all,

total noob to the forum here so sorry if I put my foot in it....

I have the original HU from 2007 without mp3 function, and small mfd below temp gauge. Can I retrofit mp3 functionality without this ipod connector? and without buying a new HU? (Iactually only own an ipod shuffle...no good I reckon.) If so, how, and for how much? I see some here mention a usb connection, can I go that route? Or even just to be able to play a data cd..
Cheers
Roy

Last edited:

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
Hi

I think you only really have 2 choices:
a.) Swap out your headunit for MP3 unit so you can play CD's with MP3 files on or
b.) Buy iPod integration (Dension etc) so you can plug in your iPod. This will plug into back of your current head unit into the aux/cd changer port.

I'm unsure if you can def use option b.) with your current head unti but should be OK & this would be best option. Check out ipodcardkitdirect & should be about £100.

Cheers

alesi27

My other car's a Mustang!
May 2, 2009
Cork, Ireland.
Thanks Shadders,

However, if I'm going to spend a ton on the integration kit, and another ton on an alternative ipod, then I'm nearly half way there to an MFD2/3. Think I might start saving up altogether...

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
Has anyone tested an iphone 4 with the ipod kit?
I'm just a bit confused about which one to get, i've got a pre-fl (57) with mp3-HU and bluetooth so have the larger mfd, if someone could help out i'd appreciate it!
cheers
Baggy
The iPhone 4 works ok with the Dension GW100 that I've got, although as I've got the earlier revision of the unit (GW15VC1) it doesn't charge whilst playing. I've got no reason to suspect the current GW16VC1 will not behave the same functionally but add in the charging. Hopefully someone who has one will confirm though...

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
Guys I need help!

Car booked in this morning to have Gateway 100 GW16VC1 fitted & they can't get it working.

Installer said has correct plugs & is charging iPod but the headunit won't recognise it & play any music.

Has anyone else had this problem & are we missing something?

He's taken some photos & will speak to Dension on Monday as may just be dodgy unit.

I want to get this sorted ASAP as want to get it fitted next Sat latest as following weekend I've got 5 hour drive to Cornwall!!

Any help appreciated. Thanks

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
Guys I need help!

Car booked in this morning to have Gateway 100 GW16VC1 fitted & they can't get it working.

Installer said has correct plugs & is charging iPod but the headunit won't recognise it & play any music.

Has anyone else had this problem & are we missing something?

He's taken some photos & will speak to Dension on Monday as may just be dodgy unit.

I want to get this sorted ASAP as want to get it fitted next Sat latest as following weekend I've got 5 hour drive to Cornwall!!

Any help appreciated. Thanks
Given I've PM'd Shadders with this info I may as well put it here in case it helps others too....

------
The Dension unit has 3 different 'modes':

'AUX GW'
When it's in 'AUX GW' mode (shown in the MFD menu), the head unit will display 'Track 99', and you won't be able to control or hear the ipod. (Not really sure what this mode is for...)​
'iPod UI'
When it's in 'iPod UI' mode, you should be able to use the controls on the ipod itself to select tracks etc, and hear the music via the head unit.​
'iPod GW'
When it's in 'iPod GW' mode, you won't be able control the iPod from its controls, only via the car. The head unit should show a track number and time counter (as if you were playing a CD) and the next/previous track buttons on the head unit (and steering wheel) should skip tracks. Music should be heard.​

Normally, you'd control playlist/album/artist selection via the switch on the end of the indicator stalk and the MFD in the instrument cluster. If you select your the Dension unit from the menu, then select 'Source' you'll get a choice of the 3 modes. Really, 'iPod GW' is the only one you'll be wanting to use.

If however, the unit gets stuck in another mode, and you can't access the MFD menus to change it, you can use the buttons on the front of the head unit to change modes:
- Select 'CD/AUX' on the unit. It should end up showing 'Track 99'
- Press '6' (using the radio present/disc selection buttons to the left of the display). The display should then show 'cd6 load', then show 'Track 1'
- Use the right arrow (above the volume knob) twice to select 'Track 3'
- Now, press and hold the right arrow for a few seconds, then release. The display should show 'cd5 load', followed by a track number. This should have changed the mode to either 'iPod UI' or 'iPod GW'. You'll be able to tell which by looking at the ipod's display - it'll either show a Dension logo (when in 'iPod GW' mode) or the normal iPod screen (when in 'iPod UI' mode).

It is worth noting that at all times when the head unit is on, the CD Changer icon on the head unit display should be shown at the bottom. It looks like two or three overlapping circles, and will be next to a similar-looking icon which shows whether the radio station you're tuned to is in stereo or not. If this icon is not being displayed, then the 'CD Changer' - which is the Dension unit - has not been recognised.

A note for the installer - it might not work if the Dension Gatway unit gets connected to the head unit / wiring loom whilst the ignition is turned on (or in accessory position), so worth removing the keys first. Also, make sure the head unit is turned off using the button on the front first (rather than just turning off the car and letting it switch itself off) before it is removed for the installation.
-----

NigelCupra

May 31, 2011
Warsash, South Coast
Great guide this, I have just fitted mine tonight thanks. :)

A quick question though, I have an old 30gig Ipod whick intergrates fine and I can see all the tracks in my MFD, but the Ipod does not seem to charge when connected. Is this right?

Ta

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
Anyone? It seems strange that it does not charge..
Apple changed the pin on the dock connector that is used for charging at some point several years ago. The upshot is that some non-genuine accessories won't charge older iPods.

My Dension Gateway has the reverse issue as it's older - it won't charge my iPod nano, but used to charge my old iPod mini.

I think you may be able to get an adaptor to go between the dock and your ipod to 'move' the charging pin..

p90pro

Aug 24, 2011
Nuneaton
HELP Please

I have just changed from a Ibiza 1.6 Sport to an Ibiza FR and i have installed my dension gateway 100 in to my new car. It olny seems to work thought the AUX port on the dateway and not though the IPOD cable ( it still charges and displays Acc connected ) but the stereo just displays AUX on the screen.

Any Help would be amazing as im lost with out my music.

Thanks

Mar 25, 2008
Soooo, just to confirm this doesn't work with the FL Leon then with the white screen'd clocks?

Juusta

Hi guys, just connected my Dension gateway lite to my radio and it all works fine, i just got a small question..

everytime i use the next button on the radio for the next number it repeats 1 or 2 sec of the current song i wanna skip and then goes on to the next. Anyone got the same thing happening or anyone got a idea how to fix this mayb???

any suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
Hi guys, just connected my Dension gateway lite to my radio and it all works fine, i just got a small question..

everytime i use the next button on the radio for the next number it repeats 1 or 2 sec of the current song i wanna skip and then goes on to the next. Anyone got the same thing happening or anyone got a idea how to fix this mayb???

any suggestions

Hi

Same here & been like it since installed earlier this year.

How do you get on finding your way around? I still think interface is a bit clunky.

Cheers

Juusta

did you renew any firmware on the dension??? because is saw something on the dension site but no idea if it might work.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.