GUIDE: Mk2 Leon Brakes - Info, Upgrades, and Maintanance.

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
On a rear end matter, has anyone fitted R32/S3 rears yet??

Yep they go straight on. I got a set of S3 brakes on mine front and back. The rears have only been on for 20 miles or so and are still bedding in.
EDIT; THE REAR CALLIPERS ARE NOT THE SAME AS S3/R32 REARS.......SORRY

Last edited:

Tony_Danza

Ahh, the calipers are actually the same? I'd have thought they'd have been different for the thicker vented disc - could be even easier than I thought then!

Now, where's the part nos for the carriers, discs & splashguards...?

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
I did without the splash guards on mine as Vw were out of stock and i wanted to get them fitted.

The pads are exactly the same as FR/CUPRA but the clips are slightly different and it may be a stuggle to get them on their own. (They come in the brake pad kit R32/S3).
The callipers look identical and have all the same casting marks and numbers on them although i have not checked any part numbers to verify this.
The Carriers may also be expensive to buy.
EDIT; THE CALLIPERS ARE NOT THE SAME

It may work out more ecenomical to buy a used R32/S3 brake kit, keep the rear brakes for yourself and sell on the fronts.

I paid £255 for the full set on ebay. The fronts alone go for about the same so in theory you could upgrade the rear brakes for free with a little buying and selling.

Last edited:

littleandy0410

Rear discs

Can anyone tell me what size star drive is needed to remove the rear caliper carriers, so I can replace the rear discs? :confused:

The fronts are 21mm bolts, why can't the bloody backs be the same! [:@]

Mind you, the front calipers are held into the carriers with small allen key bolts, and the rears are 13mm and 15mm bolts. Some continuity front to rear would be nice!

:help:

littleandy0410

The tool I was after was a 14mm Spline Bit. This is required to release the 2 bolts for the rear caliper carriers.

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
Brake Upgrades

Here is a selection of possible upgrades for the brakes on the Mk2 Leon.

Please bare in mind when upgrading the brake setup, all replacement parts will be expensive.
Ie; AP racing 6pot pads - Ferodo DS2500 £220 a pair!

1. Cupra/S3/R32 Front brakes. (Around £550)

This is a common upgrade, due to the low cost and cheap replacement OEM parts.
This consists of single piston calipers and massive 345mm vented discs. You will need 18inch wheels for this I think. Link to part numbers and cheap supplier: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=186468

2. AP Racing 4 piston Caliper Big Brakes (Around £1500)

Comes with: 2 Piece 330x28mm Slotted Vaned Rotors, 4 Piston Calipers, Caliper Mounting Brackets, Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front Only), and Street Performance Pads (Front Only)
Requires: 18"+ wheels and possibly spacers
http://www.apracing.com/info/produc...i+-+Front+4+Piston+Kit+CP5200-1056+_1728_1064

3. AP Racing 6 piston Caliper Big Brakes (Around £1900)

Comes with: 2 Piece 330x28mm Slotted Vaned Rotors, 6 Piston Calipers, Caliper Mounting Brackets, Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front Only), and Street Performance Pads (Front Only)
Requires: 17"+ wheels and possibly spacers
http://www.apracing.com/info/produc...Di+-+Front+6+Piston+Kit+CP5570-1015_1729_1064

4. Seat Brembo Brake Upgrade (Around £1450)
Offical Seat Brembo Brake upgrade. 4 piston. Part Number: 1P0071450
18inch wheels required.

5. ECS Stage 5 Big Brake Kit (Around £1500)
6 Piston Monobloc Porsche Calipers (5 colours available)
- OEM Porsche Pad Hardware
- Hawk Brake Pads - High Performance Street Compound
- ECS DOT Approved Stainless-Steel brake lines
- ECS Custom Caliper mounting hardware
- ECS Lightweight 352x30mm 2 piece directional rotor
Available from www.awesome-gti.co.uk

6. Alcon 343mm 4pot Big Brake Conversion (£1550.00)
Alcon Big brake conversion consisting of Alcon 4 Pot calipers, 343mm rotors with seperate bells, carriers and pads to suit the application.
The car will require 18" wheels to clear the outside edge of the calipers and spacers may be needed to ensure there is no fouling of the face of the caliper on the rear of the wheel.
From www.regal-auto.co.uk

To be continued...

with referance to the above details, which do you all think is the best value for money and what would you buy if you wanted to upgrade the cupra brakes... I am going to start doing track days so want to get some decent stopping power

thanks

Mike Cupra 1P

I have 6 Piston Monobloc Porsche Cayenne Calipers (17zoll).
How can i make this fit on my Cupra 1P discs?

Thanks Gr. Mike!

Jorge

with referance to the above details, which do you all think is the best value for money and what would you buy if you wanted to upgrade the cupra brakes... I am going to start doing track days so want to get some decent stopping power

thanks

Hello,I carry Brembo with Tarox G88 345 mm in front and Tarox G88 286 mm rear,with pads Ferodo DS2500 and for track days quite well,the original pads are quite bad.

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
I am on the verge of getting AP 4 pots- as used by, and branded, TVR!! for quite a bit less and will post as soon as I have them up and running. If it works out as I expect I will direct people directly to my intended supplier as he has a batch available.

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
Im fairly certain Audi S4 v8 front brakes will fit also.
The front brakes on my mates 2006 S4 4.2 v8 appear to be identical to cupra,s only silver.
IMGP2570.jpg

Last edited:

Durrer

2.0TDI 170HP
Front 312 x 25 Vented - PR-1LJ FN3 caliper
Rear 286 x 12 Solid - PR-1KZ

Hello!

I'm not so shure that rear discs for FR Diesel are 286 mm
A asked a mechanic to look in the system (ETKA) for my serial number and we find out that rear discs are only 255mm, as the common 140 CP diesel.

Moreover, I looked on the street and to other friends with FR diesel and they have the same dimensions too, for the rear discs, only 255.
Also, its a clear difference between my rear FR diesel discs and my brother Cupra rear discs, both cars being stock.

Please can anyone check his FR diesel rear discs and reply ?
Thanks a lot!!!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise