Mk1 Cupra R Track car.....build thread.....with Photos!

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Had the Leon Cupra R for a week now and yesterday was first time I could get my hands on it.

Parts bought:

-Lucas oil 5/30 fully synth (great for track)
-Lucas oil additive
-Sump plug
-Lucas alternator
-Second hand nearside front door
-Second hand offside sill cover

So started with the alternator change.....at 5pm. Normally this would have taken me an hour or just over. However I was on daddy day care also so didnt finish until 8:30. Pig of a job and snapped the oil dipstick tube in the process :)

Fitted side skirt and an old induction kit I had from my R32 GTR which slotted straight onto the afm. Nice

Anyway didny do loads but now I have a battery that charges.

Will post some pics when my post count increases :-D

So next on list

-sump off to check for foriegn object after dipstick tube snapped.
-oil change
-swap door
-visit unit 20 for remap, cambelt change
-better discs and pads (anyone recommend any?)

Then off to the track to see how she performs.

Ta

Last edited:

Hb69

Jul 16, 2011
Kent
Breaking the dipstick is common, I'd take the sump off and get any bits out in case they block your oil pickup

irf

Feb 5, 2014
IMHO I'd use 5w40. Even with that and an oil cooler plus a b5 oil/water heat exchanger I was seeing over 125 degrees C. I can't remember the exact figure tbh. I've also fitted a baffled sump as I wanted to minimise the risk on track.

Discs and pads, I've used genuine brembo discs from sere motors with ds2500s, carbotech xp10s and 12s. The 12s were awesome, no problem with the 10s but the ds2500s would grumble, leave deposits and cause a vibration. Still use them for the road though.

For brake cooling you can fit tt rs cooling ducts.

As mentioned above, take the sump off, IMO change it but also change the pick up tube.

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
IMHO I'd use 5w40. Even with that and an oil cooler plus a b5 oil/water heat exchanger I was seeing over 125 degrees C. I can't remember the exact figure tbh. I've also fitted a baffled sump as I wanted to minimise the risk on track.

Discs and pads, I've used genuine brembo discs from sere motors with ds2500s, carbotech xp10s and 12s. The 12s were awesome, no problem with the 10s but the ds2500s would grumble, leave deposits and cause a vibration. Still use them for the road though.

For brake cooling you can fit tt rs cooling ducts.

As mentioned above, take the sump off, IMO change it but also change the pick up tube.

Thanks for info on brakes, was thinking might struggle to get larger discs in calipers without grinding some of the caliper down.

TBH I have been using 5/30 for 15 years and never had an issue and thats circuit and drag racing.
Baffled sump and oil cooler are on the list but after xmas.

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Well I changed oil, filter and dipstick tube today. Next weekend is MOT and new mid pipe and down pipe. Might even do the bypass things everyone does on there cars too.

Oh what plugs does everyone use?

Thanks

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Down pipe and decat arrived today. Busy weekend ahead of me!!!

Will order plugs, brakes and pads then remap.

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Will get some up when the doors been changed. It looks a bit of mess at the mo.

Quick question.

I want to replace coil packs but want something more durable. Are the K1 coil packs a good replacement for the BAM 1.8 ones?

Also NGK iridium X, do people use these?

Thanks muchly

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
OK.

Forge 008 and NGK sparkies arrived today

Ordered my oil catch tank, vaccum pipes and oil pipes.

Going to attempt the SAI Delete and N249 delete as soon as Blank from Forge arrives.

Then getting Forge Tip and brakes.

So next mods to do

Fit decat and down pipe
Fit 008
Delete SIA and N249
General tidy of the engine bay
Strip out rear.

I have got photos but need 4 more posts until I can upload them!

:lol::lol:

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
N249 delete done and forge DV put on.

Need oil catch tank as hoses bit grubby. Can a catch can be put in whilst carrying out the SAI delete?

More photos to come

ta

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Cupra R never had SAI so nothing to remove but all the breathers would be a good idea as they do rot
Also a hello from a fellow leon trackdayer, heres mine

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Ahh ok. So the hockey puck thing, what does that do and can I get rid of it as it looks a mess.

Nice car too.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
well that looks different o last time I saw it.. lol
:thumbup:

Its been slowly progressing over the last year or so but hit some problems when the cage was done around Christmas time.
Ive also now got virtually everything for JP to build my other engine and a new turbo setup, so will be upto you for mapping once in
Im sure youll love getting in and out of it as the seat is set for a short arse like me:cartman:

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Hi all

Quick photo of car.

Also noticed a clicking from this box on idle and when revving.

And these little bad boys were loose

Anyone shed any light on it?

Ordered FMIC and Mocal oil cooler so should have them on with decat over next week weather permitting.

Need to tidy engine bay too as fitted oil catch tank but some breather pipes shattered in my hands so need to replace all.

Oh the joys.