Engine Bay Cleaning

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
Wanted to ask an open question about this as im not sure how to really go about it.

I know you "can" jetwash your engine but the whole water and live electrics thing puts me right off. The engine is clean enough, but its near on impossible to clean the sides of the bay etc, the nooks and crannies where road dirt can build up.

Anyone got any advice on jetwashing, steamcleaning (obviously not as accessible as a jetwash) or just pure hand graft?

Cheers

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
I Have Always Had It Done At A Carwash Centre, One By Me Charges £10.00.

I Would Rather Spend A Tenner And Be On The Safe Side.

Worth A Ring Round.

Hope This Helps.

cheekyboy_123

I'd be very wary of having mine jet washed too..
I don't think its worth the hassle of pipes being blown off, water getting into the electrics, plugs etc..
Not worth the hassle unless you have an exceptionally dirty engine bay.

Had mine washed a year back (Golf 1.8 T)..Despite them covering the relevant parts, car would not start so i had i had to leave it there overnight...Fine the next day, but i wasn't happy about leaving my then pride and joy..

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
I had my engine steam cleaned when I got it and 4 weeks later I couldnt see the point. I had a huge carbon build up on the manifold cover which took me 3 hours to get off. Huge waste of money and can sometimes bugger your engine up if its not done properly.

Electro Ted

GTi Ted
Dec 15, 2006
Wokingham, Berks
There's no point cleaning it if you just leave it. You need to protect what you just cleaned or it'll just end up looking crap again!

I use armorall on all areas of the engine bay and then wipe it down. It brings up the pipes a treat and protects too.

myseatcupra

ibiza fr tdi
May 14, 2007
cardiff/penarth
i jet washed my engine bay the other week. sprayed on a load of clean left it for 15mins. didnt cover anything up. just went easy near the dizzy cap and anything else like that. didnt even have the car running. got in turned the key and off she went. if you carefull i dont think its that big a deal.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.