Engine number location 1.8T.

limpabit

Nov 10, 2008
Hi everyone.

I wonder if someone can do me a favor please?

I have a AUQ engine from a 2004 Leon. But need it inspected for the drop in engine cc and also the engine number.

Now I have found what looks like the engine code on the cam cover (bar code etc) AUQ *** ***.

But should it be anywhere else the the DVLA man might check? Like on the block. I have what looks like the area where an engine number would be (flat area on engine block), but it's blank.

The area is, if you pop open your bonnet. Look where oil filter and cooler is. Just to the right of that on the engine, near where the engine joins the gearbox.

I someone could check, I would be most greatful.:D

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Should be hard up against the joint between engine and gearbox, on the engine block. It's very hard to photograph, and I have a TDI, but the locations are the same:

Wide view, showing where to look
EnginenumberlocationTDI110.jpg

Close-in view, engine number is in shadow
EnginenumbercloseupTDI110.jpg

Exposure cranked up to show part of the engine number
EnginenumberbrighterTDI110.jpg

limpabit

Nov 10, 2008
Great stuff Muttley. Thanks for you help.

I was not sure if some engines came blank. Was hoping so.:(

Don't know what to do now as the only engine number I have is on the cam cover. Don't think that will be good enough for the DVLA inspection.:(

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
can you not find/get to a smooth part (of the block) and stamp the code/digits in ?

limpabit

Nov 10, 2008
can you not find/get to a smooth part (of the block) and stamp the code/digits in ?

Yes I can get to it and stamp it. But was not sure
1) It was legal
2) If it was manually stamped, would the DVLA accept it.

Also, is it just the 6 digit code that's on it? Or the whole nine including the AUQ?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
had a kit car with hand stamped plates riveted to both the blocks and chassis go through SVA before now so i wouldn't have thought it would be an issue but was a few years ago

just make sure it's on the block itself not just the head and if you do use a seperate plate it needs to be fixed/riveted solid not just screwed on or easily removed

Last edited:

limpabit

Nov 10, 2008
Cheers fella.

Looking at the code location, not sure it can be drill and riveted (want to if I can keep it in the same position).

Can someone confirm how may digits are stamped on the engine block? Just the 6 or the whole 9 that's on the cam cover?

Car will be on the road in the next two weeks. Can't wait. Already just tested it round the block (off the main road). Running very rich. So ECU has been sent off for a better map.

Then will be mapped on the road in a couple of weeks after shake down.:D

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The engine number consists of three letters and six digits. That's what I have stamped on my block, next to the gearbox joining face: looks like ASV 987654.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.