Which is Faster the MK1 TDI OR MK2 TDI LEONS

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
:shrug:

out of curiosity Which is Faster the MK1 TDI OR MK2 TDI leons ,

as the mk1's are 1.9's and the mk2 is 2.0ltr

its not a witch hunt or to degrade anyone , im just wondering whats the difference etc

cheers

andrew

warren_cox

Back from the dead
My immediate question would be faster when???

The 130PS 1.9's on the Mk1's seemed to have a better spool up to the early 140PS Mk2 lumps, but then there are considerations like mappings, size of turbo units etc.. The Mk1 150PS felt less immediate in their surge than the ones used in the 130PS units, but the 130PS units felt out of breath far sooner than the 150PS.

I haven't driven a 170PS, so can't comment (on the Mk2).

You'd be best off doing a power to weight ratio on Mk1 vs Mk2 to get an impression. I guess the Mk2 will be heavier.

However the Mk2 applies its power to the tarmac better in my opinion, so this creates another dimension altogether.

The difference will be very small in real world terms, almost to the point of would you prefer to suckle from a left or right mammary. There's not much evidence to suggest which is best, just that either one of the two will do while you've only got one mouth!

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
i suppose , i was just wondering ,
if mine was mapped and another mk2 mapped in the real world , whose would be quicker on a straight ish road , ie a sprint ,

obv , it would play a good part being a good driver etc , good gear change , clutch etc

Jace

Sneaker Freaker
I had a 150 Golf prior to the FR.

Out the box, the FR is more powerful & its more free reving than the older 1.9 PD150.

Mapped up, not sure as the FR is still standard but I would say it would still be more powerful by 15-20bhp , the golf was mapped by Jabba & it always wanted to be driven faster than it should have been, but the mapped figure was similar to the figure the FR is producing as per a run on superchips rr, just shy of 200bhp.

I prefer the FR, more relaxed & refined.

Oct 17, 2006
northwest
to many facters are unknown

in a striaght race with two cars that have around the same bhp it'll come down to putting the power down and the driver, areo dynamics of the cars, tyres and such as most remaps require a new clutch has this been done or other modifications?

I c your from Wales says it all really....... as you have no straight roads to test these things HAHA!

I presume your m8 is getting a mk2 leon? and you are woundering if you can beat him?

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
to many facters are unknown

in a striaght race with two cars that have around the same bhp it'll come down to putting the power down and the driver, areo dynamics of the cars, tyres and such as most remaps require a new clutch has this been done or other modifications?

I c your from Wales says it all really....... as you have no straight roads to test these things HAHA!

I presume your m8 is getting a mk2 leon? and you are woundering if you can beat him?

:cartman: some are straight (up a hill) or down

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

just curious ,as some manufactorors worsen the designs etc , i,e vauxhall , and the red top v eco etc,

there are one or two mk2's about , just had me thinkin last night when one drove past me

Last edited by a moderator:

Fishy

May 16, 2005
I had the old PD130 1.9 TDI SE and now have the PD140 2.0 Ref Sport.

I felt the gearing was betting in the old 1.9, but have not tried the MK2 1.9 as a compare.

Also had better MPG out of the old 1.9.

Fish