Due a cambelt?

FRCookie

Hi i have a seat ibiza fr pd130, its on an 08 plate so its, its 4th birthday this year and according to SEAT that means a cambelt change,
however the car has only coverd 29400 miles which isnt alot, so is it really worth getting it done? is the 4years more important then that low milage just dont wanna spend out Unnecessarily, cheers

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
in similar circumstances I left mine for 36k and five years the belt was fine, had it done a lot of stop start work I would havegone for four you pays your money etc

FRCookie

i guess im just wondering what is the difference of a car that has done say the 'required' 60k in 4 years or a car that has sat around and only done 20k in 4 years, why is there a time scale? im never gunna reach the milage suggested

matt

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The belt deteriorates with age as well as miles. The rubber gets stiff and starts to crack, eventually leading to failure of the teeth. 4 years should cater for the worst conditions e.g. car kept outside, hot dry summers, cold winters, lots of short journeys etc. You may get away with a longer interval, but it's your risk.

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Its because the cambelt could deteriorate with age or mileage. Fancy paying for a new engine if the belt fails? It's not worth not doing mate! The guidelines are there for a reason, IMO.

EDIT: Started writing this before lunch, only just got round to posting - sorry Muttley!

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.