ASZ ARL differences

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
Hi people, like the title says I am trying to clarify the differences between to 2 engines, bottom end basically as i know for deffinate that the top ends are identical.

I read years ago that the ARL had a different bore stroke (the amount of time it took for a piston to go from TDC and back again, i think) I personally also saw evidence of this as i drive a few ASZ engines which were almost un-stallable as opposed to my ARL start if you came off the clutch too fast with out enough revs it would die.

I have read on a few forums that various places state parts numbers for the crank, rods and pistons which all list the same part numbers for both blocks.

If anyone has any info or knowledge to back this up or disprove it it would be great..

Thanks..

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Crank, stroke etc. are all the same. ARL has a slightly lower compression ratio which could explain the stalling thing. Think pistons are slightly different, but i know the ARL also has a different headgasket which could explain it if its thicker

Never looked in to it that much but theres a whole host of info on TDIclub

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
good to see a reply,

I have had a look on tdi club and a few other well named forums but had mixed results ranging from identical part numbers for crank and rods as well as pistons to some saying they were wrong etc, just wanted to know for sure...

Any idea what it is that creates the lower compression?
Cheers.