TDI PD160. Where is the glow plug relay?

MattSee

Apr 24, 2013
Afternoon all,

Firstly...I've already posted this on the model-specific forum, but no responses. As many partsof the engine are common to the various VAG platform, here goes...

Car has been taking a lot more cranking that usual, when cold. Did the usual checks, and while glow plugs are all good (around 0.6 ohms each) I'm not getting 12V on the glow plug wiring loom during the preheat stage.

The glow plug light on the dash does its normal thing - comes on for around 2 seconds, then goes off. There's also some discussion that the glow plugs are only used, below 5 deg C.

I don't currently have VAG COM but am happy to diagnose it, old-style with multimeter and so on.

Problem is...where is the friggin' glow plug relay ?

There are only 4 relays near the fusebox (driver's side of dash pop-out end panel), and none of the VAG part numbers on these give 100% confident results when googled as being the culprit. The relays are number 18, 53, 100, 109.

Other potential locations seem to be to the right of the battery or in the plenum chamber (below the wiper trim panel). But there's nothing that looks VAG part number 038907281C which is apparently what I need.

Help !!!

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise