Hesitation on Remapped Ibiza FR TDI

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
before the remap it used to happen once in a while but not that bad, since remap it is worse.

at approx 1700 rpm the car hesitates then goes then hesitates again then goes its always near when the turbo should come in. if i hold the throttle at 1750rpm ish in 3rd then i press it slightly (only slightly) thats when it happens, its like when the turbo should spool up type of thing... hard to explain really. This happens mostly in 3rd and 4th. any ideas

its running approx 170bhp and is an 07 plate ibiza fr 1.9 tdi...... i have had vag-com on with no faults... any ideas what it could be

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
Yours is one of the newer Euro-IV compliant versions of the PD130, which has the "BLT" engine code. There is a known problem with this engine with symptoms exactly like you describe.

There was a big thread on Briskoda about it, but I can't find it now. Try searching for various combinations of "BLT" and "stutter".

You could also take your car back to the dealer and tell them to sort it out - and don't be fobbed off with the old "it's a characteristic of the car" line.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
You could also take your car back to the dealer and tell them to sort it out - and don't be fobbed off with the old "it's a characteristic of the car" line.
Most likely the dealer won't touch it if they know it's been remapped...would be best to switch it back to standard if you're getting the dealer involved.

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
Yours is one of the newer Euro-IV compliant versions of the PD130, which has the "BLT" engine code. There is a known problem with this engine with symptoms exactly like you describe.

There was a big thread on Briskoda about it, but I can't find it now. Try searching for various combinations of "BLT" and "stutter".

found what you were on about (cheers for that) any way, all the cure seems to be is a gasket to restrict the egr valve... so instead i used vag-com to reduce it slightly and all seems well..... done 20 miles and not one stutter.... will let you know the results over the next few days... :rolleyes:

Timotheee

just going on your description thats sounds very characteristic of a faulty air flow meter. does it clear up when you floor it?

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
yeah it only does it approx 1750rpm ish...... but the egr turned down sorted it.... their is a common fault on the BLT engine. mine is a lot smoother now since turning the egr valve down (no off)

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
With the engine warmed up and running at idle in neutral with all major accessories such as air conditioning turned off, connect the scan tool cable and start the scan tool software.

[01 - Engine]
[Login - 11] and enter 12233 as the access code
[Adaptation] and go to block 3.
Give the accelerator pedal a quick "blip" to ensure that the EGR remains turned on for the next minute while you perform the following steps.
Note that the display shows a default adaptation value of 32768 and shows approximately 250 +/- 20 mg/stroke of air intake volume.

If all is well, enter 33768 as the new adaptation value, and select "test". Note that the displayed air intake volume changes, usually to about 370 mg/stroke. The specification limit is 370 mg/stroke, so if you want to remain within OEM shop manual specifications for emission control reasons, you might have to enter a number slightly smaller than 33768. (If you don't care about road-legal NOx emission limits then leave it at 33768. [Depending on the usage cycle, NOx at this setting can be increased by as much as 40%]) If all is well and you have a setting that you are happy with which results in an intake air volume of 370 mg/stroke or just a hair less, enter [Save]. The values aren't exactly the same, but when you enter the value 33768, the ECU will automatically adapt it. In my case it was something like 33628. 370mg/stroke is what your looking for.

MAdMAtt84

Aug 9, 2004
Canterbury, Kent
I used to have this problem on my 06 FR TDi, as you describe, it spent a month in at the dealers! they changed loads and loads of stuff, inc maf, egr, temp and more.

I had my EGR turned down via vag com, unsure if that was the fix but after alot of time at th dealers something was different as it did it less often. Car was standard unsure of engine code mind

Cleared if you booted it.

Matt

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Part throttle hesitation was also cured on my PD150 lump by having the EGR removed.

Power feels so much more ready for when I need it now.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.