Pd Box For 2.0 Tdi 170 (beware)

REDLEONFRTDI06

I have owned three PD TDI driven cars over the past few years my first was my Seat Cordoba SE PD 130 a VW BORA TDI 150 SPORT and my current beast the Seat Leon FR TDI 170. Now upon the discovery of the PD box, which to those who don't already know is an analog resistor sat in a box that connects to the plugs mounted on the PD fuel rail at the front of the engine, I had to try it out.

The first box (£25) I had for the TDI 130 was ace, there was a fantastic difference in the power, although I didn't notice any major economy benefits I was still getting the 41mpg but what they hey was blitzing around. I then used the box when I got the Bora TDI 150, although a bit tricker to fit because of the more complex pipe network, that also showed a bit of a difference in power sometimes and a little bit of a difference with the economy on the run. I did not think however it was much of an advantage to the TDI 150, despite the box being compatible with all 1.9 TDI PD and the then new 2.0 TDI PD.

For some daft reason I decided to try the box in the 170 TDI after I had done a couple of thousand mile in it, and to my surprise I did notice a difference. The bottom end was ace, with instant response and I noticed the economy was marginally better. But at time the power was ridiculous and at times dangerous, then other times you would have no real power at the top end, so if you was to race other high powered cars it was 50/50 whether you would use the power all not. I also noticed it running rough when idle and sometimes feeling like a tractor, so I decided to take it out, and to be honest although I have to use the higher end of the rev range the power doesn't feel that much different, however the car feels so much smoother, but I have noticed a slight drop in economy.

Reading further on though I have noticed that you can't get a PD box for the 170 TDI and to be honest I can see why. But other reasons is because of the modifications that have been done, which includes new dual piezo injectors, a different intake manifold and bigger turbo. Also with the PD box it uses more fuse which can build up more dirt inside the engine, it also wears more of the components out and can do damage to the turbo over time since it is designed to shoot more fuel into the chambers as apposed to actually winding up the turbo, since the turbo is designed to only use so much of its capacity.

So with that I think I will keep the box out, i prefer smooth power output as apposed to unruly 'when it feels like it' and make do with the factory economy. I might possibly do a remap when the warranty is up, depending on the pennys.

Anyone else got any opinions or good/bad experiences with the PD box??

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
i would not run a resistor in a box on any car, very crude way of gaining power

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
Sounds very much like an advert, Im waiting on someone asking where can you buy these boxes and the reply to be "Im glad you asked......"
Call me cynical if you wish.

Addict

I ran a PD Tuning Module in my 140 Tdi. It worked fine initially (increase in bottom-end pick-up and marginal MPG improvement), but stopped working after 2000ish miles and illuminated the emission warning light!

After removal of the module, the error/warning self-corrected and the engine runs fine. You get what you pay for and £20 - £25 ain't a lot of buck from which to get reliable and sustainable bang!

Much better to opt for a cold air induction system/remap.

McDubber1

Jun 29, 2007
East Lothian
I put one of the cheap boxes off ebay on my 1.9 tdi T5 a few years ago and it did make a difference but it caused the engine management light to come on so i removed it. I then got an 'Original' tuning box which was a fairbit more expensive but was totally woth it because the van was much quicker and a lot smoother than with the other box. It was still an anologue box though. On my PD 170 i've went for a remap, i wouldn't even dream of fitting a box to this car.

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
ThreadRessurection.jpg

Rua1r1

Rua1r1
May 5, 2009
Co.Armagh
I used one of these on my 2.0 TDI sport, it was good at the start but after a few thousand miles its started to cause problems. These boxes create more soot because they allow more fuel to be intjected etc, this was my main problem, my engine management light came on because my throttle body had packed in, there was that much soot stuck round the throttle body flap that it could not move. Had to replace the throttle body which cost over 300 quid. So my advice would be to stay clear of these things, if you want more power look into remapping.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.