Leon Cupra tdi 150 engine light not illuminating

mhoult

I need some help. I have already posted this, but in the wrong section, sorry.

I have just swopped my 20VT for the TDI. When I turn the ignition on there is no engine warning light (MIL). I have read that the glow plug light flashes when there is a problem.

Should there also be the same MIL light as I had on the petrol? Is so someone must have removed the bulb.

It was bought from a dealer and was MOT'd last week, surely it should have failed?

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

mhoult

I would really appreciate confirmation that the TDI should have the engine symbol light on the dashboard when the ignition is turned on.

I know through searching that a no engine warning light thread is rare! How easy is it for me to check the LED/bulb? I will plug it in to VAG-COM tomorrow and check it is interfacing ok.

Thanks in advance

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
Mine shows an orange engine symbol with a bolt of lightning thru it ( for want of a better description ).
Middle row far right column.

Edit, scratch the bolt of lightning its just an engine symbol.

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
You get the same answer here that I gave in the Leon section :)

Not sure what you mean by MIL, the light in the right middle of the annunciator panel, with an engine on it, is often referred to as the CEL (Check Engine Light) or Diagnosis/Excess of Pollution (from the manual). Is this the one you mean?

In general, at startup, all the annunciator lights should light up to show that the systems are functioning and the lights in the indicators are OK. If your CEL stays dark, there is definitely an issue, quite a serious one, as the indicators are lit by surface-mount LED's and are really difficult to change. They are long-lived items that are not expected to burn out within several lifetimes of the car.

MOT doesn't check dashboard lights. See here for an idea of what is tested.

Specifically: Yes, your CEL should light up when you turn the ignition key to the "on" position before starting the engine.

It is just possible that whoever has modified the dash to supress the CEL from lighting up has done so by blanking off the LED with a piece of card or tape. Let's hope so. The only way I can think of to check is to take the front off the dash, exposing the circuit board and the bare LED's themselves.

Last edited:

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
It is just possible that whoever has modified the dash to supress the CEL from lighting up has done so by blanking off the LED with a piece of card or tape. Let's hope so. The only way I can think of to check is to take the front off the dash, exposing the circuit board and the bare LED's themselves.

I had this for an airbag light on a Pug a couple of years back. You can't see it but I got suss as the light next to it was glowing very slightly all the time!

If it is not lighting up then don't dismantle anything..... take it back to the dealer as it is and request that they investigate and resolve the problem. As soon as you start taking it apart, they'll refuse to touch it or blame you in someway.

Last edited:

mhoult

Took it back to the dealer as they couldn't prove it had been fitted with a new cam belt (70k) told them to do the water pump as well and also said to sort out the engine light.

It has now came back with the light on all the time.

Just connected VAG-COM and reset number 3 glow plug electrical problem and rear RHS central locking issue.

Now the light comes on during ignition on and stays on, but as soon as the engine is started it goes out. When I say it stays on I mean I can get vag-com to detect modules, it takes a long time, the light is still on.

The glow plug error keeps coming back.

The only thing I dont understand is that the readiness status says the MIL is off when looking at the engine controller.

How can you tell what is illuminating the light before you crank the engine?

Cheers

mhoult

To be complete here are the faults

1 Faults Found:
17057 - Cylinder 3 Glow Plug Circuit (Q12) Electrical Fault
P0673 - 35-00 - -

1 Fault Found:
00931 - Locking Module for Central Locking: Rear Right (F223)
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Bottom one gone after reset

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
P0673 so you either have:
A bad connection to the plug from the bridge
A tired/faulty plug
A bridge fault, usually requires replacing.
Glynn

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
same as the other thread , glow plugs more than likely , i personally only changed the one,

as i was explained , they either work or they dont , (i have the other 3 spare just incase )

i would just take it back,

my light goes out straight away even before i crank the engine over,

Seat Adam

Dirty Densel Driver
Always best to change all 4 together. If one is down, the others won't be far behind. I'm in the process of changing mine. Can any body tell me the part number of the glow plugs, I want to make sure i got the correct ones. I have part number: N10579201

mhoult

Thanks for the replies. I changed the glow plugs and cleared the fault.

Now the engine light comes on and stays on all the time with the ignition on, all other lights go off.

When the motor is started the light goes out.

Is this correct as my 20VT went out after a second just with the ignition on. I have just seen a TDi for sale on ebay and the light is on in the pictures with the two red lights on also, so not running.

Thanks for your help

Mark

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Absolutely normal chap. Just been out - god its cold this morning - and checked on my car for you and mine does exactly that. Two reds on the top row (battery and the !) and the yellow engine light until you start it at which point it goes out immediately leaving just the (!) light for the handbrake being on.

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
Absolutely normal chap. Just been out - god its cold this morning - and checked on my car for you and mine does exactly that. Two reds on the top row (battery and the !) and the yellow engine light until you start it at which point it goes out immediately leaving just the (!) light for the handbrake being on.

ditto it is jeefing cold this moring and also on the lights action

I'm surprised that the dealers didn't take you through what things are as your new to derv as they normally do, well from my experience they do anyway., but that is time and time is money...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise