Toledo MK1 Facelift 90 or 110 TD?

NiSk

Nov 2, 2005
I havn't been able to find this information by checking the FAQ's and archive, but I'm sure someone has probably asked the question before;

My newly acquired '97 Toledo TD is labelled as a TDi (i.e. no intercooler) but when I look in the engine comaprtment, there are two thick aluminium/plastic pipes running from the turbo, past the LH end of the engine, down to what looks like a steel tank under the coolant radiator and then back up to the intake manifold again. Is this standard on the 90-hourse TD(i)?
In the Golf III repair book I've got they only have the 90 hp diesel and the turbo on that feeds the intake directly - no long pipes dissapearing down in front of teh engine - shame I can't find a repair manual for the Mk1 Toledo . . .

Can someone enlighten my confusion?

//NiSk

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
The original Toledos came with either a non direct injection TD or the 90bhp TDI, yours I guess is the latter. The 110 wasn't released in the UK until the next generation Toledo.

NiSk

Nov 2, 2005
OK, I neglected to mention that the car is a LHD Swedish spec. version. What puzzles me is that there appears to be a cooling tank, like a long steel cylinder, under the radiator - which I suppose works like an intercooler of som sort, but the conventional 90 hp TDi has no intercooler, not on the Golf or Vento in anycase.

I think I have seen facelift Mk1 Toledoes advertised as 110hp TD's over here - is there some way the engine type can be checked for this, i.e. engine designation/number?

//NiSk

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
Both my Ibizas with 90bhp engines had intercoolers. What is your engine code? I'm sure someone could tell you quick enough what bhp it started out at from the factory.
Does the car have air-con?

NiSk

Nov 2, 2005
It's definitely a TDi orTDI, presumably the first. Coming from a long line of Citroën and Peugeot diesels, I thought that the difference with VAG diesels between 90 and 110 hp versions was the same as PSA's - IC or no IC - but if the VAG 90hp also has a crude IC then I've probably got one of those. I'll take a pic when I change the oil and filter at the w/e.
There's no A/C.
I take it the undertray is fixed under the front wheel arches and at the front - I can't see any bolts at the back. (Ooh for a workshop manual!)

//NiSk

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
On MK2 Toledo Both 90 and 110 engines have intercoolers, the difference was that the 90 bhp engine didnt have a VNT turbo. But that changed anyhow and even the 90 bhp engine run VNTs. Injectors are different iirc and obviously the map.

As mentioned above im failry sure on the MK1 Toledo only a 90 bhp option was availalbe and it was the 1Z engine with intercooler.

NiSk

Nov 2, 2005
OK - does that mean there is an easy way to increase the power a little?

And another anomoly - the front disc are worn - all the local factors want to sell me unvented discs - but the car has vented discs and associated calipers! (but drums back??).

prc

Sooty Meister
IIRC the 1.9td came with solid 232mm discs up front and the 1.9tdi_90 with vented discs, so if they've never been swapped by the original owner, it's probably a 90tdi you have. Also try checking through the front bumper cut outs (lower drivers side) for an IC.

If a tdi then +hp is easy, just have it chipped (you won't be able to reflash that ECU ).

NiSk

Nov 2, 2005
I've got to get the undertray off so that I can drain the oil, so I'll have a better look then, but from what I can see through the slots in the spoiler and feel with my hand from inside the (cramped) LH side of the engine, it seems to have so sort of steel tank stretched under the radiator, to which the pipe from the turbo/to the intake manifold fit. It doesn't seem to have any cooling fins though.

//NiSk

prc

Sooty Meister
NiSk said:
I've got to get the undertray off so that I can drain the oil, so I'll have a better look then, but from what I can see through the slots in the spoiler and feel with my hand from inside the (cramped) LH side of the engine, it seems to have so sort of steel tank stretched under the radiator, to which the pipe from the turbo/to the intake manifold fit. It doesn't seem to have any cooling fins though.

//NiSk

Sounds like a moded motor to me.. ;)
The 90hp tdi's came with side mount IC. If you've got one up front it's been put there afterwards.

NiSk

Nov 2, 2005
I've loned the car to a mate for the w/e - his A 140 gave up on him at 5.30 pm and the Merc garage closed at 5.00 . . . so the pix will have to wait until Monday I'm afraid.

//NiSk

NiSk

Nov 2, 2005
Right - finally got round to doing an oil /filter change. Found the hidden retaining nuts for the undertray when I changed to winter (studded) tyres at the w/e. Once the undertray and top sound damper were off it became apparent that its just a plain bog standard 90hp TDi (intercooler tucked away in front of LH wheelarch, no VGT). However I have refitted the intercooler intake duct in the right place (it was partially obscured having fallen down behind the spoiler) and after changing the tyres the aweful sound of a knackered front wheel bearing turned out to be a dodgy front tyre(!)

Also found the retaining clip for the servo steering pipe had broken off and disappeared from the starter motor bracket, so the pipe was vibrating against both the bracket and the front engine mounting - not a good idea! Tightened the servo pump belt tension (explains the squeeking on full lock). One of the studs for the top sound damper had stripped and got replaced. Car now sounds a lot quiter on tick over and doesn't shake the interior nearly as much. Guess the fuel consumption will also improve since it's stopped pulling violently to the left all the time and rolls a lot longer (that damn LH front tyre!)

Once it gets a bit warmer over here I'll have a go at increasing the power mildly.

Thanks for all the tips

//NiSk

NiSk

Nov 2, 2005
The motors done about 150 000 miles (was replace under guaratee 10 months from new - weeping block!) but has always been serviced by VAG (good or bad?). I bought the car from the orignal owner (only 1 owner), and got a complete folder with all the reciepts as well as the fully stamped service book. Engine runs really well, what are the (advisable) options for upping the power a bit and how much?

//NiSk

prc

Sooty Meister
The motor will last quite a long time if taken care of correctly. My car was chipped about 10 months and has covered more than 240000km since then.
If you don't want to spend much just have a tuning box added (there are many brands). You can also have it chipped.
Most will gain you 30hp