Running a TDI in limp mode

Jan 29, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Is it a bad thing to do for a couple of days?

Ive got a dodgy connection on one of my fmic hoses, that i cant make a good fix until i get a new joiner in a couple of days.. the connection just cant take the pressure that this cold weather is providing.. so it keeps popping off.
driving gently isnt an option due to the way tdi engines produce boost.. but i need the car for work.. so am considering running it in limp mode until i can fix it properly.. shouldnt generate enough boost to blow the pipe, and the car will still run. (without choking everyone in a 1mile radius lol)

Triple D

What about putting the standard intercooler back on untill you get that joint if you still have it? atleast then it will work to full capcity. Just a thought.

Jan 29, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
spaniels fr said:
What about putting the standard intercooler back on untill you get that joint if you still have it? atleast then it will work to full capcity. Just a thought.

cant be @rsed to take the bumper off again....
and then ill have to remove all the pipework...

the ironic thing is trying to get the thing to go into limp mode isnt easy lol..
finally managed it by unplugging the MAP sensor... but its not thrown a code! :confused:

Jan 29, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
sssstew said:
some people on TDI Club have done this for quite some miles and didnt experience any issues.

Apart from the lack of performance... lol

its just about do-able for my commute round the carpark of the m60.. altho i cant take my usual defensive stance in the outside lane.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I drove mine for about 15 miles with an intercooler pipe half blown off once, the odd thing was it didn't throw a fault, just generated more black smoke than you could possibly imagine :D

Jan 29, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
muddyboots said:
I drove mine for about 15 miles with an intercooler pipe half blown off once, the odd thing was it didn't throw a fault, just generated more black smoke than you could possibly imagine :D

Yep... same with me..
i think it has to have sustained (ie 15seconds+) of being on boost before it will throw a negative deviation fault...
mine would cruise for a minuite or so before it threw a fault when i had vnt problems

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
I ran mine Col in limp mode until I got the boost sensor issue resolved - It was fine, just no power whatsoever. :D

You wanna see the size of the clips I've used on my pipework now - All the jubilee clips are gone and I've used these ones which are almost an inch wide and do up with a spanner only. ;) Nothing shifting them any time soon, even though some of my pipework doesn't have welded on ribs on the ends.