Rear Aero Kit Spoiler Question

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
My motor is in the bodyshop at the moment having the aero kit spoiler fitted. They have used the adhesive in the pack to bond it on. I spoke to the guy today and the spoiler has been on for 18 hours not and there is still a little movement between it and the rear panel.

Whats the score with this anyone else noticed play around the spoiler and the tailgate or does it need longer to harden. It looks like I'm going to leave it overnight again just to give it a bit extra time to cure.

Just want to know if this is normal before I go and pick it up tommorrow.

TDI PEP

LEON MKII FR TDi
Apr 22, 2002
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Visit site
I had a bit of flex on mine but on closer inspection the left side had come away from the tailgate. Dealer has re-bonded it to a fashion. Looks like they just spread the bonding agent in the gap and squeezed rather than remove the spoiler and re-fit.

If I had known that this is what they would of done I could of done it myself as I have one side nice and neat and the other with a load of black glue spread over it.

Left car with them over night to cure.

lasbazrre

Sep 15, 2007
Manchester
I had a bit of flex on mine but on closer inspection the left side had come away from the tailgate. Dealer has re-bonded it to a fashion. Looks like they just spread the bonding agent in the gap and squeezed rather than remove the spoiler and re-fit.

If I had known that this is what they would of done I could of done it myself as I have one side nice and neat and the other with a load of black glue spread over it.

Left car with them over night to cure.

I wouldn't be happy if i were you!

Mine had a bit of movment in it too.

leon

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
My motor is in the bodyshop at the moment having the aero kit spoiler fitted. They have used the adhesive in the pack to bond it on. I spoke to the guy today and the spoiler has been on for 18 hours not and there is still a little movement between it and the rear panel.

Whats the score with this anyone else noticed play around the spoiler and the tailgate or does it need longer to harden. It looks like I'm going to leave it overnight again just to give it a bit extra time to cure.

Just want to know if this is normal before I go and pick it up tommorrow.
The bonding agent that was supplied with mine did state at least 48hrs! and it is simlar to "sikaflx" which also takes the same time [ it like sh??t on a blanket goes every where!!] and I did also use two scews at the extreme ends of the spoiler - hidden of course.

demonear

Sep 18, 2008
Edinburgh
The bonding agent that was supplied with mine did state at least 48hrs! and it is simlar to "sikaflx" which also takes the same time [ it like sh??t on a blanket goes every where!!] and I did also use two scews at the extreme ends of the spoiler - hidden of course.

Oldoiler mate, do you know where there is a pic or scan online of your avatar with the two TDI's? I was going to use it as my desktop if it was decent enouh quality!

cheers

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
fair bit of flex in mine and its also been in to get re-bonded.

the spoiler is designed to be bolted on by looks of things and seat have decided to bond it for quickness.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Well got mine fitted Friday and am not happy each end seems to flex too much for my liking. As for fitting it seems to fit like a glove on left side but on right not as good of fit Am hoping to inject some bonding into it tomorrow so will see what happens.

John S FR 170

Feb 8, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Weather permitting i'm planning on fitting my Aero Spoiler later today, have bought some Tiger Seal adhesive insterad of the SEAT supplied stuff.
Just a quick question, the spoiler fits against the tailgate and also sits on the rear screen, would i also need to apply adhesive to the section that touches the glass?
Was wondering if i did use the adhesive on the glass and in the future my screen ever needed changing would this create problems and i would have to remove the complete spoiler?

Many thanks.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Weather permitting i'm planning on fitting my Aero Spoiler later today, have bought some Tiger Seal adhesive insterad of the SEAT supplied stuff.
Just a quick question, the spoiler fits against the tailgate and also sits on the rear screen, would i also need to apply adhesive to the section that touches the glass?
Was wondering if i did use the adhesive on the glass and in the future my screen ever needed changing would this create problems and i would have to remove the complete spoiler?

Many thanks.

When mine got fitted it is bonded to the tailgate and the glass also checked 3 others and they are all the same. Kev

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
Forgot to reply to my original query:

the Seat supplied stuff did set strong in the end, it just took a lot longer than it said on the tin; ,may be a week or so until fully set.

brad1

i binned the seat stuff and used windscreen bonding. hardened in a couple of hours

Did it harden in a couple of hours and you were able to drive the car after just 2 hours of fitting it?

Sorry to bring up an old thread :redface:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise