Ibiza Mk2 - The Black Beauty

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
Hi Guys

I have come back to the SEAT group after going to Ford since I sold my Leon Cupra with my latest car - a nice 99 plate Seat Ibiza GTI Cupra Sport!
Yes, I think it has one too many badges but there arent many of this model around so I'm hoping to keep it for a few years and restore it.

Good Bits
beautiful black colour
It has only 55k genuine miles on it and has lots of paperwork with it.
Engine runs sweet with no oil leaks/smoke
original interior and stereo with no mods inside or out
38mpg acheived on drive home!

Bad Bits
couple of dings in the bodywork
drivers leccy window is temperamental
steering makes some noise on full lock
drivers seat bolster has wear
carbon fibre bonnet wrap (this will be off at the weekend)

i will be giving the car a service and renewing the belts at the weekend.
i have given it a wash and hoover and it now sits in the garage whilst i drive another car!

here's some pics

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Looks great! - glad to see a new thread started for a mk2.

Looking forward to seeing your progress and hope I was able to help.

With regards the badges - they are all correct for the car - don't remove any!

DC

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
I know you planning to replace the alloys but my vote would be to keep the originals. Reduce the ride height a little (springs/shocks) and maybe add some spacers to fill the arches - this will ensure tyres are nice and cheep.

The mk3 star alloys have been done to death! - more original to keep standard.

DC

Last edited:

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
I know you planning to replace the alloys but my vote would be to keep the originals. Reduce the ride height a little (springs/shocks) and maybe add some spacers to fill the arches - this will ensure tyres are nice and cheep.

The mk3 star alloys have been done to death! - more original to keep standard.

DC

i'm thinking of keeping the original wheels as spares...for some reason i cant lower the car as it would invalidate my insurance....has never been a problem before but i wont risk it.
will look into the spacers....10-15mm enough?

WeeC

Aug 5, 2004
Glasgow
Great to see a mk2 in such good condition! Doesn't look like any rust round rear arches which is a bonus. I am biased and like the mk3 alloys or I'd go for the OZ Superturismo's

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
It is great to see one that looks so original. Having said that, I am not a fan of the standard 8v alloys either. You could go for a set of 16" Ronals as fitted to the 16v, or some Oz Supertourismo GTs which look quite similar.

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
Great to see a mk2 in such good condition! Doesn't look like any rust round rear arches which is a bonus. I am biased and like the mk3 alloys or I'd go for the OZ Superturismo's

Yep, no signs of rust on the arches at all but i am planning to give them a good clean and treat it (prevention) with some hammerite paint. I dont like too many spokes...just because they are a pain in the bottom to clean (very time consuming)

Looks like a nice example mate. Lovely little car ��

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

thanks

It is great to see one that looks so original. Having said that, I am not a fan of the standard 8v alloys either. You could go for a set of 16" Ronals as fitted to the 16v, or some Oz Supertourismo GTs which look quite similar.

so the 'star' alloys are a Ronal brand - thanks for this but so far i havent found any of these of ebay/gumtree/classifieds on the web. I did think of getting something different (aftermarket) but have decided to try and keep OEM/OEM+ :D

Last edited:

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
so the 'star' alloys are a Ronal brand - thanks for this but so far i havent found any of these of ebay/gumtree/classifieds on the web. I did think of getting something different (aftermarket) but have decided to try and keep OEM/OEM+ :D

I think you are talking about the 5-spoke alloys fitted to the mk3 Ibiza Cupra, and I am not sure of those are Ronals or not. The wheels I am thinking of are the 12-spoke ones fitted to the mk2 Ibiza GTi 16v.

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
I think you are talking about the 5-spoke alloys fitted to the mk3 Ibiza Cupra, and I am not sure of those are Ronals or not. The wheels I am thinking of are the 12-spoke ones fitted to the mk2 Ibiza GTi 16v.

yeah, i was thinking of the 5 spoke alloys...although they will have to wait for now.
I've taken the stupid carbon wrap off and the bonnet needs repainting as does the drivers wing (I'm getting the bumpers done too as they have some scuffs on) and this would be cheaper getting it done in one go (Xmas shopping budget is disappearing!) :cry:

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
Sadly, I have now sold the car and the new (young) owner seems interested in keeping it long term due to appreciation value! He said he has a large lock up so let it rest in that so good luck to him.

I have now picked up another Seat, this time a MK1 Leon 150bhp TDi

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.