Ateca 1.4 EcoTSI 150 Closed for Ordering

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
Announced by SEAT UK this morning:

The Ateca 1.4 EcoTSI 150PS engine will be closed for ordering on Monday 5 February. All tagged orders must be placed in SLi by this day; orders placed after cannot be accepted.

The supply of this engine significantly improved in late 2017, with much of our order bank confirmed into production – but the situation has reversed as quickly as it improved, which is why we have to take this action.

Our priority and main focus is to now work on an alternative solution to this important engine. Details will be announced as soon as possible.

Whether this means the 1.4 EcoTSI 150 is being replaced with the 1.5 TSI EVO 150, or that ordering will re-open at a later date, has yet to be announced...

coinz

Feb 1, 2018
Im in the market looking for a Leon ST and was wondering if I should hold off untill the 1.5 EVO is available for this car??

Looking at the specs though the 1.4 Eco TSI has better MPG and seems overall better? Am I missing something I would of thought a newer engine would be better.

Been comparing the Evo Arona Specs to the Leon 1.4 EcoTSI. The arona is lighter than the Leon ST but yet has slower acceleration.

And whats going on with the supply issues anyway iv been told a lead time of up to 4 - 5 months.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Scrogg, I would have thought it's coming out of production so Seat UK have got to fight to get the quantities of the 1.5 that they need but haven't got this sorted yet. Coinz I seem to recall that the 1.5 engine is better than the 1.4. I guess that you cant compare cars with different engines, tuning etc. When the 1.5 came out I seem to recall it went into a VW and gave a better performance. I use to tease people who had ordered a 1.4 Ateca with that one who were on along wait. 2016 I reckon was the year it was first fitted to VWs.

Try this Google

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1...x-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=u4ZzWpOeK6nP8AemypXQCg

Neah. Seat being the poor relative was probably getting the run out stock but hadn't pre ordered the 1.5. Like those discount supermarkets of old . Stack them high and when it's gone, it's gone.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Scrogg, I would have thought it's coming out of production so Seat UK have got to fight to get the quantities of the 1.5 that they need but haven't got this sorted yet. Coinz I seem to recall that the 1.5 engine is better than the 1.4. I guess that you cant compare cars with different engines, tuning etc. When the 1.5 came out I seem to recall it went into a VW and gave a better performance. I use to tease people who had ordered a 1.4 Ateca with that one who were on along wait. 2016 I reckon was the year it was first fitted to VWs.

Try this Google

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1...x-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=u4ZzWpOeK6nP8AemypXQCg

Neah. Seat being the poor relative was probably getting the run out stock but hadn't pre ordered the 1.5. Like those discount supermarkets of old . Stack them high and when it's gone, it's gone.

The Audi Q2 still has the 1.4 TSi as is a car on our list to replace the Tig. Allot is supply and demand and forecast just over 12 months ago was diesel, now it is a surge for petrol.

VW have had to pull the Golf GTE and 1.4 petrol versions of the Tiguan due to demand. I assume it will take quite a few months to ramp up petrol production and lower derv engine production :confused:

Tell

Staff member
Well it was 2016 when people became turned off to diesels. I don't know whether the supply of Ateca 1.4 TSIs have ceased on the continent - I'd have to look at the German and Spanish sites. My overall view of why the UK has getting a good supply of Ateca's against Europe was related to the PCP market in the UK. Whilst punters use PCPs to get their cars, VW was using their PCP contracts to secure finance loans for themselves, so the PCP base generating a stable income stream was nicely underwriting VWs company borrowing. That was my theory on supply. Collapse of PCPs in the UK would lead to VW supplying elsewhere... just a theory :).

I had a quick eyeball of the general thread on the German and Spanish Ateca sites and they aren't mentioning an issue with not being able to get the engine as far as I could see, I might have missed something thou but would have thought it would have stuck out like a sore thumb. Thus I'm wondering whether this is just a UK issue and the good days of getting an Ateca in the UK ahead of Europe might be over.

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
And then completely out of nowhere earlier today...

The 1.4 EcoTSI 150PS engine for the Ateca range is open for customer orders from today (Wednesday 4 April), after additional capacity for production has been secured.

Delivery of these vehicles should be expected from July 2018 onwards.

Tell

Staff member
Ah it's so homely. It's like supermarkets of old with end of the line or Richer Sounds. Really good tweeters....

Although that 1.5 engine did seem to have good reviews. Wonder if the factory is seeing any 1.5 litre engines so they are just not tooling up for it.

As for the paint coating it's pretty rubbish in metallic, somewhere along the line VAG stopped spraying a hard top layer. Expect that goes back through a few generations of Leons. My trusty Altea had a tuff top paint layer, sadly the Ateca doesn't.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members