High pitch whine when ignition on

Detch

Jul 3, 2017
Hi,

I noticed recently a quite annoying thing. When the ignition is on, I can hear a high pitch whine. Like a CS/CoD flashbang.

I'm sure that when I turn the ignition off - the sound is gone. It's (probably) not related to the engine, music or road noise. I can hear it with and without music, while driving, stopped etc.

My car: late 2015 (MY2016) Cupra 280 5D.

Any ideas what that might bet? Because it's driving me crazy.

Signor Whippy

Mar 16, 2009
God's Country
My old mk2 cupra used to do this. Never found the cause out though. Like aBoijj says, could be the fuel pump priming but it does seem to go on for a while and seems to come from under the bonnet from what I can remember.....

aBoijj

May 20, 2009
Midlands
The priming of the fuel pump is essentially it doing the same thing as it does when the engine is running, just pre-pressurising the fuel lines before the engine is started. Once the engine is running, the engine noise often drowns this kind of thing out. With the ignition on and engine not running, it stops after a few seconds in most cars.

Does the noise go on indefinitely when the engine is not running, or does it stop after a short while?

Last edited:

Detch

Jul 3, 2017
youtu(dot)be/yFVLPxfMcMQ

I've recorded it when I've arrived at my work. The engine was warm and turned off, same with AC, music was muted. Because it was really quiet, my mic recorded a lot of static noise. However you can hear the really high pitch whine in the background.

When I turn the ignition off - it goes away.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.