SD Media Card - Do's and Dont's

marjohn56

May 31, 2014
London
Ninety six hours to go, so I am preparing my media card... sad I know!

So, there are some do's and dont's I would like to verify, obviously once I have the car I will find other things but in the meantime I am asking for the experience of others on the best way to setup the card.

The most important thing to me at present is that I have somehwere over 80Gb of music files, I will not want all of them in the car, but I have a 32Gb card. The SEAT manual says 2Gb, has anyone used a higher capacity card and does it read it?

I have all the icons ready for the stations and have resized all my album art ready.

Any other tips?

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
I'm using a 16GB card and have not experienced any issues. You've resized all your album art so as long as they are lower than 500x500px you should be good to go.

One thing I have noticed is that my albums aren't necessarily playing in the right order, but I've not looked into it yet as to why this is.

marjohn56

May 31, 2014
London
I'm using a 16GB card and have not experienced any issues. You've resized all your album art so as long as they are lower than 500x500px you should be good to go.

One thing I have noticed is that my albums aren't necessarily playing in the right order, but I've not looked into it yet as to why this is.

I assume you have a playlist in each album folder?

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
So when you say albums not in correct order would that be tracks on the album or a sequence of albums, i.e. all of the given artists albums from the first to the last in release order?

All of my albums are organised into folders on the SD card, so in the car, you can navigate from folder to folder to play individual albums. What I'm saying is that when I play an album, I don't think it is playing the tracks in the correct order. I would have assumed that it would pick the track number from the tag information, but I could of course be wrong.

Up to now it hasn't really bothered me too much, so I've not looked into it in great detail just yet.

zomby

May 8, 2011
Scotland

I'm not lucky enough to have a mk3 but you could be experiencing the same thing that happens with my pioneer stereo. It orders the albums (or songs if they're at the top level) based on newest to oldest additions to the sd card.

Just a thought.

marjohn56

May 31, 2014
London
I'm not lucky enough to have a mk3 but you could be experiencing the same thing that happens with my pioneer stereo. It orders the albums (or songs if they're at the top level) based on newest to oldest additions to the sd card.

Just a thought.

I'm sure you are correct. I suspect it does not read the tags for order, it would have to read every track first then arrange them. Playlists are the way to go if you want things in the correct order. A lot of my tracks have no propper tags anyway so I have created playlists for every album.

Mar 13, 2011
Ninety six hours to go, so I am preparing my media card... sad I know!

So, there are some do's and dont's I would like to verify, obviously once I have the car I will find other things but in the meantime I am asking for the experience of others on the best way to setup the card.

The most important thing to me at present is that I have somehwere over 80Gb of music files, I will not want all of them in the car, but I have a 32Gb card. The SEAT manual says 2Gb, has anyone used a higher capacity card and does it read it?

I have all the icons ready for the stations and have resized all my album art ready.

Any other tips?

I'm using a 64GB SDXC card with no issues.

Still have some album art which does not display despite ensuring all embedded images are 500x500 or less.

Last edited:

ma9mwah

Aug 13, 2009
I think there's also a file limit size on the images as well, though im not sure what it is but I try to keep them < 100KB

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
hope you enjoy the car - I can't believe how good it is for a Seat (ok diehards - shoot me now). Exceeded my expectations in every area.
Seat sound is better than I expected, as is the engine/gearbox, performance, economy - everything, in fact.
Just great:)
what spec have you gone for?

marjohn56

May 31, 2014
London
I'm using a 64GB SDXC card with no issues.

Still have some album art which does not display despite ensuring all embedded images are 500x500 or less.

Can you PM me with the images that don't display, and a couple that do? I reckon it could be a bit density issue.

Last edited:

marjohn56

May 31, 2014
London
hope you enjoy the car - I can't believe how good it is for a Seat (ok diehards - shoot me now). Exceeded my expectations in every area.
Seat sound is better than I expected, as is the engine/gearbox, performance, economy - everything, in fact.
Just great:)
what spec have you gone for?

Just a baby 1.4 FR. It's all I need. I was going to get the Sound pack but I heard a standard one, and whilst not quite as good as sound pack equipped one, both were not as good as the Mark Levinson system in my current car, not too far behind mind you. I decided the extra cost was not justified.

Most of the time I listen to Radio 5 anyway, really looking forward to the DAB for 5 live extra. Its only on long journeys when she who must be obeyed is with me I want to listen to some tunes, keeps her quiet!

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
I need to get round to sorting all the album art on my SD card. I have a 32Gb card and it's all good, mixture of MP3 files from various sources and iTunes downloads.

Monsoon

Dec 13, 2013
I'm no computer expert, but I think the manual means if you use a simple SD card it must be a maximum of 2gb. Nowadays though you can pretty much only buy the more advanced SDHC cards, and the booklet does not say there is a size restriction on these. I have an 8gb SDHC card which works fine.

adstalker

Nov 5, 2010
Darlington
I too had the same query. My current Skoda Superb has a 16GB SDHC card in it. I just want to remove it from the current car and pace it in the new.

Only 22 hours to wait to I get my shiny new 64 plate (dealer is being kind enough to drop it off for me tomorrow night so that I have it for first thing Monday as I need to leave for business at 6am and wont be back until Wednesday night). I can't wait to get it and play with it.

Peter W

Aug 8, 2014
Larne, County Antrim
It only reads the tag when displaying the playing song.. It uses the filename when showing the contents of the directory.
Are there any video formats which work with the memory card slot? I've seen on other posts that some ipods can stream video to the infotainment system. My phone's an android and it's fine steaming bluetooth audio, but it would be cool to watch video too either through the usb or memory card slot......

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise