Normal tyre wear?

Mar 5, 2007
Hey chaps,

All 4 of my tyres are on their way out (fronts especially) I just wanted to check that the tyre wear I'm getting seems normal, as I don't remember it from previous cars.

On the fronts at least, the centre part of the tyre is noticable more worn than the sides (by over 1mm I'd say). So I've already hit wear indicator in the centre but still have space to go on both sides.

Is this normal, or a sign of something else?

Thanks!

Mar 5, 2007
Hmmm. I kept them high as I do a fair amount of the miles on the motorway. I may run my next set of tyres at 33 instead then...

Thanks guys!

Phil K

Here's your sign
Oct 18, 2004
Surrey darling...
I've been keeping mine at 33psi and it certainly seems to help... last pair of fronts went on the inside shoulders so had the tracking done - fingers crossed they'll last a bit longer now!

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
If you are running the standard Pirelli tyres then this is normal. I had ran mine at 33 PSI all round and the same thing happend. Seems to be a common problem with the tyre plus they are crap anyway. I'd replace with some F1's, Falkens, Pilot Sports etc..

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Both sets of Conti Sportcontacts did exactly the same on my car. I'm almost obsessed about tyre pressures and do check them every week - all four cars and the bikes every time I go out on them!

Although it sounds like the obvious 'over inflation' I think that judging from my experience with the SEAT, it is perfectly natural. If it were my car, I wouldn't worry about it (1mm variation):)

Mar 5, 2007
Heh, I'm not really worried, just checking to be sure it wasn't the sign of something more sinister.

I can't wait to be rid of these tyres anyway. As making progress in the wet is just a joke.

Should I be able to floor it in second (in the bone dry) and maintain traction with decent tyres in a remapped LCR?

FrankSpencer

I am in the tyre trade, and I check my pressures on a regular basis.

I currently have the Pzero Rosso's all around (set at the book pressure of 33 PSI all around), and they have worn quicker on the inside once again. Pirelli's are very soft, having said that I like the performance side of them, and they have lasted me 20K miles (I moved the existing rears onto the front, and put the new pair I bought onto the back).

I hope that helps.

dizzy

I had excessive tyre wear on the inside of my tyres only which was due to having it lowered. My other half has the cupra R revo'd and he has the same problem outside wear. I put this down to him driving sideways around corners:D