For sale £9,500ono Leon Cupra K1, Shark Performance Mapped 350bhp 496Nm

Jul 6, 2013
West Yorkshire
Right update time, I'm thinking. I've been a little busy with a lot of things over the last couple of weeks so here goes.

I cleaned the inlet manifold and fit new gaskets to it, but before that I refit the flaps to the head as I didn't want to forget them. It would have been a proper PITA.

I built the inlet manifold back up, and placed the injectors in the head, three had been tested, cleaned and new seals. The other one was a brand new on.

I fit the new oil filter housing and the water heater exchange unit.

Also fit my new Loba Motoersport uprated HPFP

I eventually got the inlet manifold fitted for good after having to take it on and off a couple of time to work out where brackets go and routing things in the right place.

I ordered myself a few little things extra to tidy up the engine bay as I might as well do it right:D I got a mk5 gold battery box and a new header tank as the old one was a little stained, and a new oil cap as mine was broke plus a few washer/metal seals for the turbo coolant/oil pipes. This was so I could get the turbo fitted once and for all. Brilliant service from Dave at Sere. Ordered the bit on the Wednesday and there was one thing he had to order in and I got everything as promised on the Friday morning. Top bloke.

I had a few little things on order from Audi too, got myself a set of S3 jacking points and black washer bottle cap.

I managed to get the front end off the car as it would have been a pain to have to lift the full engine over the slam panel and I had to clear the intercoolers out as I didn't know if anything had got in there with the piston failure, swarf.

In between this I had to for a rear caliper to my other car Skoda Octavia Vrs.

Them it was ready lift it back in its home. Started finishing a few things this morning, I started on the car at about 9:30am and went inside for tea at 7pm so a good few hours work put in today. Managed to get the engine in and quite a lot of wiring connected back up along with a fair few hoses. Plan is to get as much done as possible through the week on a night after work if it stays dry and hopefully fingers crossed fire it up on Friday night as I'm away at the weekend.

I went down to my mates place to borrow his engine crane and walked into this, a M3 V8 with a knacker bottom end, need a new crank plus a few other things. Total repair bill is about £4k on parts and £3k labour.

After having a good look around the M3 I thought it was time to get the crane home for putting the engine in today and this is how it looked after I finished tonight.

Jul 6, 2013
West Yorkshire
Well I've been chipping away at it bit by bit again, been working a few long days 12-15hours so it's hard to get into gear and started on it on a night.

I managed to get the drive shafts bolted back to the gear box but I had to release the ball joints to get them lined up.

Can't forget the shield that sit above the shaft on the right hand side shaft.

I also fit a new ECS magnetic sump plug as if there's any crap in there (which there shouldn't be) it will be picked up.

I fitted the battery tray then realised I'd forgotten to put in the plastic channel where the wires run under it.

The cars been sat for around 4 months now and the front discs where a little rusty and I though that I better clean then up as they would have eaten the pads with the amount of crap on them. The engine stand comes in handy for holding the discs while using a abrasive wheel on the grinder. Came up nice and like new, they aren't that old anyway.

Today I fitted all 3 radiators and fan housing back on the front end and the crash bar for good. The hardest part of the build is remebering the route of the wiring and making sure everything is back in the original place.

I got all the hoses connected up so not much more to do now, I've cleaned all the I ever arches while I have the liners of and gave the chassis legs a clean too.

I bought a Cupra R engine cover too to fit to the car but need a little help and a couple of pictures of them fitted with the forge twintake and where to cut them.

Stylance

Stylance
Apr 6, 2011
Ashford kent
I'm so jealous it's unreal, thanks for the prices, it seems quite cheap if you do the monkey work, I may have to invest in better rods and Pistons, the head Id be tempted with a valve kit...But I'm sitting here typing that and your actually doing it, congrats !!

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
Good work mate. Not long until that first start up. That planned for one night this week If you get the catch can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 6, 2013
West Yorkshire
I'm so jealous it's unreal, thanks for the prices, it seems quite cheap if you do the monkey work, I may have to invest in better rods and Pistons, the head Id be tempted with a valve kit...But I'm sitting here typing that and your actually doing it, congrats !!

There's a hell of a lot of time involved and that's where the money is if you get someone else to do it. One of the longest jobs was taking the head off, big job on its own. The standard valves are good for really good power, you have to be going mental to warrant upgrading the valves. Plus money was an object on this as its skinned me:D if you want any more info just Hola and I'm happy to help in any way I can. If you take something like this on yourself get dealer workshop manuals as they are worth there weight in gold.

Good work mate. Not long until that first start up. That planned for one night this week If you get the catch can?

That's the plan, but I need to get it MOT'd before I can have it on the road too. I'm tempted to cancel the order and stick a new standard Det up on for now so I can get it on the road for the weekend.

bloody hell. impressive stuff.

Cheers buddy, it's been a love hate relationship with it.:handbags:

Jul 6, 2013
West Yorkshire
I went into the garage tonight to sort a couple of little bits, got to have the staple coffee and shortbread with you.

Plus I also bought a couple of socket set on Friday which turned up today. I've got a few Bahco sets 3/8",1/4",1/2" and a 1/2" impact set already but non with deep socket which come in handy. So I bought a 1/4" set with deep socket and a 3/8" set with deep sockets. Really good bit of kit and well made.

So after all the excitement of the new socket sets I stripped a head light down as when I took it off it was full of tiny stones,really don't know why? So managed to get all them out.
This is what came out?

After I had done this it was time to go in and chill a little as again up early for work, love a 4:15am alarm(not as much as our lass does :D)
Tools put to bed.

Stylance

Stylance
Apr 6, 2011
Ashford kent
There's a hell of a lot of time involved and that's where the money is if you get someone else to do it. One of the longest jobs was taking the head off, big job on its own. The standard valves are good for really good power, you have to be going mental to warrant upgrading the valves. Plus money was an object on this as its skinned me:D if you want any more info just Hola and I'm happy to help in any way I can. If you take something like this on yourself get dealer workshop manuals as they are worth there weight in gold.

That's the plan, but I need to get it MOT'd before I can have it on the road too. I'm tempted to cancel the order and stick a new standard Det up on for now so I can get it on the road for the weekend.

Cheers buddy, it's been a love hate relationship with it.:handbags:

I'm sorry if I sounded ignorant, I just mean I wouldn't do this until I had purchased the rods, pistons, valves et.c but I understand you had a time limit and didn't have to the luxury to save! Lol

Really really impressed! Great aspiration and respect for you sir!

Jul 6, 2013
West Yorkshire
I'm sorry if I sounded ignorant, I just mean I wouldn't do this until I had purchased the rods, pistons, valves et.c but I understand you had a time limit and didn't have to the luxury to save! Lol

Really really impressed! Great aspiration and respect for you sir!

Not at all, I understand what you mean. I had to spend a lot more money as I had to replace stuff that you wouldn't need to if you was just doing the pistons and rods. I had to bin a lot of stuff as there was that much fine swarf in places I couldn't get to, to clean it.

Thanks again for the compliment as it helps a lot, as it gets to a point and you just want to set it on fire but nearly there now. Ha ha

Jul 6, 2013
West Yorkshire
So it's the day I've been waiting for, 7 weeks it's taken for this to turn up so I can get the car started. Although I wasnt ready until 2 weeks ago.;)

My CTS Turbo catch can system turned up today at work, the warm fuzzy feeling was like Christmas. Just the knowing that I can get the car started this weekend and hopefully get it MOT'd one night next week is something else. Plus the nerves are there for the first turn of the key after the amount of money in it and not wanting it to go BOOM!

The CTS Turbo Catch Can is a work of art, the billet machining and the overall finish is brilliant. The aeroquip hoses are very nice too:thumbup:
I'll let the pictures do the talking of the quality as I think it's superb.

I got a couple of other bit too, I bought the S3 jacking point mod the other month so I went with the ECS jacking plate which fits the points perfect. Also black header tank cap and washer bottle cap plus a wheel fitting tool, this helps on fitting the wheels when you run spacers.

Plan this weekend is to get all the last bits fitted and get the bloody thing started for the first time in about 5 months.

Last edited:

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
It's like a hockey puck that fits into the hacking point making a safe place to jack the car and give some protection to the bodywork. Some come with an attached on the jack aswell so it fits snug. Defo worth the money if the car is on a jack a lot.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.