Black LCR 1M stage 2. nurburgring!

irf

Feb 5, 2014
so castle combe was yesterday. left home early with a mate and cousin, mate driving an ep3 type R and cousin driving an DC2 integra type R. enroute a few pics were taken, have to admit i love these pics.

20150619_060511_zpsdwshospj.jpg

20150619_060509_zpsc7fmxj7r.jpg

20150619_060504_zps0yzzx8wb.jpg

get to the circuit which was booked through the T5D5 forum, a volvo performance forum and also some subarus.

been to combe quite a few times and my quickest lap was a 1.25 in my accord type r on coilovers and other mods. that was when i was with no pax and i was pushing hard (was trying to catch a mate in a 400 bhp volvo 850 on slicks. i didnt)

anyway, now i know its a trackday and laptimes are irrelevant but i'm interested and it's only me checking the times afterwards on videos that i've recorded. with a passenger, although not a heavy one, i managed a 1.24.2 in the cupra and that was on michelin pilot supersports which were screeching away on every bend. i'd assume (hope) i'd be a little quicker on some semi slicks.

anyway, the main thing is the car performed brilliantly and i enjoyed myself immensely! i do have vids but i talk too much shite so dont think any will get uploaded.

some pics

DSC02026_zpsof4zcrrs.jpg

Castle_Combe_2015_528_zpskiqmhoph.jpg

DSC01729_zpstvwj2hti.jpg

DSC01523_zpsrfkusdd4.jpg

DSC01353_zpsncubhbhn.jpg

irf

Feb 5, 2014
cheers, yeah the car performed really well, the rear anti roll bar really helped turn the car in, back end moving around nicely but the damn esp was kicking in way too much. got very frustrating at times. other then that i'm happy, even the tyres which i thought i'd melt held up very well.

few more pics.

DSC02025_zpsqtscqtkd.jpg

got past this surprisingly. dont worry, its not an ego thing, plenty of cars went flying past me!

DSC02355_zpsywrby81i.jpg

Castle_Combe_2015_526_zpspnuscavn.jpg

DSC01604_zpsx92tms0d.jpg

Linnard1990

Jun 2, 2015
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Great thread man keep up the good work. What plans do you have for the future? I cannot wait to track my LCR I currently have a stage 1 map with a turbo back Milltek, De-cat and non res, as well as poly bush all round, front and rear anti roll bars and strut braces as well as a few other bits. oh and the same liquid gauge as you, very fun piece of kit to play with. I plan on a FMIC very soon as well as getting round to finally fitting my new discs and pads. I am currently using a pair of ns2r on the front and I must say they are fantastic in the dry. Good in the wet but not overly confidence inspiring. The handling of these cars can be a n absolute joy on a b road on a nice day.

irf

Feb 5, 2014
sounds like you know what you're doing. not sure about future plans, maybe get a few more wheels and put some better track tyres on them and maybe renew some of the bushes.

probably get a steering wheel refurb done at some point as well. Basically i'm not gonna go crazy with this car otherwise the next mod would simply have to be a diff.

Linnard1990

Jun 2, 2015
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Yeah knowing when to stop is going to be my problem with this car.

When you say your esp kicks to much do you mean it is switched off or did you still have it switched on?

I'm curious because when my esp is on it seems to come on very easily (i have a very torquey Revo map) but when it's off its off and doesn't come on at all regardless of what gear I'm in. Perhaps you're abs sensor or something is messing with the ECU?

Have you thought about getting forged rods and mapping you're new goodies and Decat in? Could get a small chunk more power out of her and still keep it linear.

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Hi, no, the esp was switched off but still cuts in. I think when it's switched off the traction control may get turned off but the esp is always there and because it's braking wheels the brakes get hotter then they should as well.

If I was to get forged rods my brain would say there is absolutely no reason not to get a bigger turbo! With bigger turbo comes injectors cos these are on the limit and then mapping and I imagine all sorts of other stuff.

On track tbh while more power would be nice I reckon the ability to get the power down earlier is more important as I was already having to feather the power and manage the understeer but I'm not going down that road. The cars at a good and enjoyable level right now, just gonna maybe do a few little bits here and there.

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Minor update, just a few things.

Bought some 17 track wheels but still need to get some decent rubber on them.

Got a puncture but couldn't do anything for a few days so rather then just getting the puncture fixed I got a new michelin pilot supersport. And then I thought, well, if I'm buying one why not get two, put them both on the front and have the spare wheel with a supersport as well :rolleyes:

Then today passed a milestone and remembered to take a picture.

20150928_122315_zpssew3i7mp.jpg

Also found a nice spot for a photo.

5fd8569f-5b30-49ea-adf7-0683bc4c903a_zpswnhuc1au.jpg

Should have another update next week.

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Minor but worthwhile update (in my mind at least), fabia rear wiper.

Before. Manky.

20151003_110847_zpsyo92lpjq.jpg

After. Much better.

20151003_112650_zpsxjbd1loh.jpg

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Well yesterday was a very interesting and productive day. Went up to a mate who works on my car in Leicester. Ever since the nurburgring the car, especially when cold would chug, sounded like it was the manifold and after reading info on here it looked like a common issue.

So ordered a manifold off eBay and got it sent to Leicester where my mate would do a small amount of porting/polishing. Wasn't looking for any gains but if it's being changed then it makes sense.

Anyway, get up there and once the manifold was off I was told there was actually nothing wrong with my old one! It was just the egt probe that had come loose!

But tim (my mate) knew that if he had just screwed it back in I'd still be paranoid about my manifold and how it's a common issue and it'll need changing at some point. He knows me too well!

Thought I'd relay the above in case it's useful for someone.

Anyway, some pics. Side by side.

20151006_115756_zps3nbfrjdr.jpg

Other side was done as well, just a little mind, think there was a slight lip that needed grinding but that's about it.

The S4 oil cooler I fitted needed a little fettling with a dremel.

New oil dipstick fitted

Pollen and fuel filter changed. Think the pollen filter was overdue.

20151006_115658_zpscmswk3vt.jpg

Cars driving so much better now, slightly down on boost (2 psi) so looking in to that. Probably n75 valve so will get that once I know it is that.

irf

Feb 5, 2014
update.

passed recent MOT with no advisories which is nice.

earlier today i thought i'd try sprucing up the calipers. wasnt gonna do a whole refurbishment, just a quick rubdown and then some high temp lacquer.

before. had actually rubbed it down at this point with some wet and dry 1500.

20151031_115013_zpsvnpsfwvu.jpg

after

20151031_120227_zpsgxaoqp3w.jpg

the picture is a little flattering but overall i'm happy. i wouldnt have otherwise been bothered enough to go for a full refurbishment as the car will see some track action and high temps. this only took maybe a couple of hours including jacking the car up and taking the wheels off.

20151031_122412_zpsq07enkub.jpg

20151031_123852_zpsqo2tcxhd.jpg

Last edited:

irf

Feb 5, 2014
so another nurburgring trip is looming and need to get the car ready. had a list of things to do so went to my mate in leicester who does everything on my car.

firstly, engine oil, filter and gearbox oil. as always used silkolene pro s and this time used reline gear oil.

20160407_113945_zpsh7ju4yhd.jpg

the gearbox oil was changed last year so was quite nice to see it coming out a colour other then black.

20160407_110958_zpsqnt1itos.jpg

bought some secondhand cast wishbones and put some superpro bushes in them. also painted them with some poris stuff. the ones that haven't been fitted yet are the extra castor bushes and needed pressing in which i couldnt do.

20160407_095906_zpsgn5mukvl.jpg

not the best pic but now fitted

20160407_110642_zpsolfctcft.jpg

then the rear main beam bushes. done a lot of reading about these and how the rear axle needs to be taken off and how people have struggled so was a bit worried. that was one of the reasons i got the superpro because theyre meant o be easier to fit.

the old one

20160407_122835_zps0majnokb.jpg

taken off, nothing actually wrong with it

20160407_125022_zpsclk2iooz.jpg

and fitted

20160407_141213_zpspilmwcba.jpg

then onto the front strut brace. again, done a lot of reading on this site and know that people generally go for the audi s3 one but took a little risk and got a wiechers one. was supposed to be a straight fit and was thankfully!

20160407_153425_zpscozmvmvk.jpg

then onto the 42 draft designs shifter bushes, following a guide on this site didnt take too long to fit and makes a nice difference.

20160407_153929_zpsew86pqhx.jpg

fitted

20160407_155815_zpsfguasy2h.jpg

last thing was a brake fluid flush. again, it had only been done last year and went with the same fluid.

20160407_161241_zpsek7y3gkm.jpg

problem was, after it had been repeatedly bled, no pedal. brakes work but the pedal goes a long way down. anyway, got a text this morning to say that the master cylinder will need bleeding and that i dont need a new master cylinder (hopefully) so the plan is to go back up and while thats getting sorted, also change the rocker cover as thats leaking round the back of the engine.

if the brakes dont get sorted then no nurburgring trip for me so a lot is riding on this:blink:

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Happily for me, master cylinder bled, brake pedal back to normal, no need to cancel any nurburgring plans. Phew!

Forgot to take the flipping rocker cover gasket up but it's not too big a deal, next time I go I'll take it.

Just need alignment doing and I'm thinking of changing the rear pads. There's enough meat on them but would rather have ds2500s on the back which are £99. But I've seen some pagid rs4 for the rear which are £130.....

Reggie Cupra TDi

Jan 14, 2016
Hi mate, was the gear shifting notchy before you fit the new bushes, like the dreaded 1st -2nd notchy shift? And did it make it smoother ? Looking clean... love it !

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Cheers, no, there was actually nothing wrong with the shift before tbh, just wanted it a little tighter and that's exactly what it's done.

pel

Jun 23, 2013
How much of a pain were the rear beam bushes in the end? Mine got flagged us as an advisory so Il be doing the same

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Rear main beam bushes, bear in mind it wasn't actually me that done it so very easy for me to say do this and that. But when my mate done it, he loosened the 4 bolts to drop the beam a little giving enough room to give the bushes a thwack. Quickly realised that they weren't gonna move so got the heat out. Heated the metal on the outside otherwise fire on the bushes themselves would cause a lot of flames and it's close to the petrol tank so not ideal. After some heat a little tap and they were out. Cleaned up the metal with a dremel and the superpro bushes went straight in.

Have to admit I was a little paranoid so I did stand there with a fire extinguisher but thankfully wasn't close to being needed. But that's why I mentioned where the heat was applied.

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
Cheers mate, great read and just the right amount of mods for my taste. Great to see the LCR on the Nur.

I hope I can also have a go at it this year :)

Regarding the shifter - you don't have a short shifter installed or have I missed it? What do these shifter bushes do?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.