Bete Noir's Black Mk2 Leon Cupra R

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
Having got fed-up with my RS4, I decided to return to the Leon fold, this time with a mk2 Cupra R. Thinking they were not available in black, I was on the look-out for a kiwi one, when I saw a dealer in Flintshire had a black one advertised. I drove up there in the Audi a couple of days later, and drove home in this:
TiS1jQ5.jpg

eDzF81h.jpg

Before driving up to do the deal, I found out on here that the Leon was a SEAT UK press car, and was the subject of a review by Syphon on here back in 2010 clicky. Knowing that the car would have taken some severe abuse in its early life, I agonised over whether I should buy it, but as black ones are so rare, and because it has low mileage and good service history, I decided to take the plunge.

Last edited:

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
I had to get rid of the Volkswagen badge on the tailgate and get it replaced with the correct badges, and I got my number plate assigned:
AFLeqej.jpg

I had toyed with the idea of going de-badged, or black badges, but I have done that on previous cars, so I went standard this time.

Some people really like the gearknob on the earlier Cupra Rs, I believe, but I swapped mine for a SEAT Sport carbon and alloy one:
ukInBTe.jpg

After a bit of faffing about, I managed to get the SCN stickers on the inside of the front quarterlights:
0cvo7ej.jpg

Last edited:

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Fully subscribed to this. I have a 350z at the moment but should I be 'forced' to get something more 'sensible' this is what I've had my eye on for some time!

P.s don't tell the mrs this is faster.

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
'Sensible' is one of the watch words I am looking to apply to this car. For the last 10 years plus my partner and I have both been driving 4 seaters. She has a mk1 Skoda Octavia RS which she uses to get to work and for trips to the shops etc., so I have been able to run less practical machinery like an Evo VIII FQ-330 and the B7 RS4 I have just got rid of. Now we are 'empty nesters' we do not need two cars with 4 seats, so the plan is that this Leon remains practical for everyday driving, but is fast enough that we can both enjoy it when we get the chance. That will allow me to replace the Octavia with a VW Transporter or similar, so I can tow any of my Ibiza track cars about if necessary.

Just to be clear, though, 'sensible' in this instance will include power, handling and styling mods :D

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
Silver wheels have never been my thing, so I treated myself to some VW Racing 19" wheels to replace the standard alloys. I have also added a Triple R front splitter.
nl0qZwl.jpg

jkuCCEf.jpg

dYKndS2.jpg

While I had the wheels off, I cleaned the brake callipers and added some SEAT decals.
hFlsAhh.jpg

Last edited:

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
Beautiful car buddy :)

Thanks

Loving the Black on black,

Do you get much grief from the local plod about your reg plates ?

Thanks. No grief yet, and I have had front plates that size on various cars for a number of years now. Of course, now I have said that, I am bound to get pulled!

Very nice, nice touches too. Love the wheels.

Thank you

Looks great mate, much nicer with your new additions. Not a fan of the gear knob though.

Cheers. The picture does not really do the gear knob justice, it actually looks like it belongs in the Leon. More to the point, it is shorter, chunkier and better weighted than the standard item, so it is much nicer to use.

Last edited:

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
I took the Leon down to South Coast Tints to get a sunstrip done.
heM2BO3.jpg

wgOtMYq.jpg

It is a bit deeper, and darker than I have had previously (this one is limo black) but I am really pleased with the way it looks.

Last edited:

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
Do you get much grief from the local plod about your reg plates ?

No grief yet, and I have had front plates that size on various cars for a number of years now. Of course, now I have said that, I am bound to get pulled!

It had to happen! Less than a month after I made the post above, I got pulled last night for my dinky front number plate :(, so I will be back to a standard one this weekend. In truth, I am not sure whether I liked the smaller one anyway (it was just a bit too small) so I am not particularly disappointed to have to change it.

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
I have a 3\4 one which is smaller than standard but much bigger than the one you had on, if you wanted a slightly smaller than standard one.

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
I have 3/4 size plate on the front of my Ibiza, and that is probably the size I should have gone for on the Leon. However, now I have had a talking to about the small plate, I think I had better conform for a while, and go for a standard size.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
Love the car. I've JUST picked up a candy white fr+ so not seen the front splitter before yours! Did you just fit as is, or have it painted first?

Have you changed your DRL bulbs as your headlights are same as mine (baize on projectors)

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
Love the car. I've JUST picked up a candy white fr+ so not seen the front splitter before yours! Did you just fit as is, or have it painted first?

Have you changed your DRL bulbs as your headlights are same as mine (baize on projectors)

Thanks. I fitted the splitter as it came, in gloss black.

I hate DRLs with a passion, so I have mine disabled. Saves changing from the yellowish bulbs!

Looks lovely bud, more I see the mk2 Cupra R the more I like them.

Cheers. I wasn't a fan of the mk2 Leon Cupra R myself, until I realised that the spec was perfect for what I needed. It is fair to say that it is growing on me [B)]

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise