windscreen condensation

chrischewy

hi guys,

last couple of morning iv got in my car, iv found condensation on the inside of the windscreen. however, this morning it was severely worse, droplets of water were actually on the inside. I have no idea what may be causing this and if anyone has experienced this problem or knows of it, your advice would be great.

Cheers!

ettlz

Sep 21, 2006
I have this too. Last Saturday, I had to use the scraper on the inside and by the time the ice had melted, there were drops everywhere. I think it's just a natural phenomenon (assuming rainwater isn't finding its way inside the cabin) and not much can be done about it other than dehumidifying the car overnight. My car lives mostly in shade; I'll experiment with parking with the windscreen facing east for a change, see if that helps.

Last edited:

danmay

Fast cars, shooting stars
Mar 25, 2007
Stafford
www.myspace.com
i used to have this as well when i drove, if you leave the car running on your drive with the aircon on recirculate for about 5-10 minutes on full balst at the windscreen then it should get rid of all the excess moisture and you should be fine.

worked for me!

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
I get this too - doesnt take long to go away thought 5-10mins of driving. Happens in the centre of my windscreen (inside).

TazB

Xbox Gamer Tag = TazCupra
Mar 23, 2007
Glasgow
check for a wet floor front and rear. you may have a leak? if you dont have a leak then its nothing to worry about.

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
I've never had this at all... my front window rarely steams up.

It's very common on the Leon and that's due to leaks.

chrischewy

wow, thanks for all the replys, sounds pretty normal, ill hav a check for leaks if not ill just leave it, see how it goes.!! thanks!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
as said above, check for wet carpets front and back, also be aware that driving about with the windows shut and the recirculate button pushed will stop fresh air comming in the cabin and make the inside mist up and condensate on the screen along with the side windows

leaving a door open in the wet weather whilst you faf about getting stuff from your glove box before you go indoors at night will make the screen mist up in the morning too

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
Precipitation. Natural reaction with the warm air cooling on the inside of the car against the cold windscreen. Especially in the winter months. ;)

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Precipitation. Natural reaction with the warm air cooling on the inside of the car against the cold windscreen. Especially in the winter months. ;)

Precipitation

pre·cip·i·ta·tion

noun
Definition:

1. rain, snow, or hail: rain, snow, or hail, all of which are formed by condensation of moisture in the atmosphere and fall to the ground

2. formation of rain, snow, or hail: the formation of rain, snow, or hail from moisture in the air

I do believe you mean condensation. :p

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
No, no. Point 1 covers it! ;) - Moisture in the atmosphere (the car atmosphere!) :tongueout:

andycupra

status subject to change
yes me means condensation:
some facts:

warm air can hold more moisture than cold air.
Humidified warm air (it will be in a car as you are breathing in it) once cooled against the cold glass will form consensation on the inside of the glass.
Its now winter, so you often have the heater on allow the air to get nice and warm and humidified and then once parked up the temperature in and outside drops leaving you with the condensation.

How to stop it?
well there is the option of dehumidifying the air before you lock the car, perhaps use the aircon. However, cars are not air tight so this may not stop it.

On the other hand circulating the air can help, but it would need to be lots of cirulating and so most likely a case of leaving all the windows open! and it may not work anyway.

Some have said you may have a leak and this is due to the fact that if you do, this will exagerate the issue as the air in the car will be 'wet'.

Holding your breath for the entire journey will help...
or you could try turning off the heater for the last few miles and give the car an airing. this wont stop it but may reduce its effect.

Last edited:

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
I had similar just before I discovered my windscreen was leaking.

'Normal' condensation levels are the usual mist on the screen, if you are getting big droplets forming then the air in the car is pi$$ wet through which sounds like a leak I'm afraid.

chrischewy

o crap, what do i do in that case? i do have windscreen insurance with a 50 quid excess, plus i have a couple of stone chips in it. Chris.

Benny the bear

I had the same problem-pollen filter was blocked. If your coming upto 40000 then itll be done on your service, otherwise it may be worth getting it replaced or move to the country.

chrischewy

i live in the dales, irrelevant however, as i just bought the car. Is a DIY job replacing the pollen filter?

Benny the bear

Sorry: Not sure about DIY....if ya car is new, id take it back to the dealer. Filter costs about £10.

chrischewy

sorry when i said new i meant iv only just got it, bought 2nd hand. 50k on it

Benny the bear

id check your service history, they should have put one in at 40000-with regards to fitting, i think it goes under the glove compartment? this might be covered in the FAQ section......