Sad end to short Cupra Ownership

Count Drunkula

Jul 12, 2017
After a brief but enjoyable stint owning a Leon Cupra ST 280 from last July I decided I missed my Golf R so arranged to trade it in at a Dealership down South for a 16 Plate Golf R estate

After setting out at 6am on a soggy dark Saturday morning from Glasgow this was the view at 7am after an altercation with an enormous pothole on an unlit stretch of the M74 Southbound

IMG_20180217_WA0005.jpg

Completely destroyed 3 week old Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S on drivers side front wheel

AA Man to the rescue as I didnt fancy doing it as was on the side of passing vehicles and still just about dusk
IMG_20180217_WA0006.jpg

so had to do the next 60 odd miles on the space saver down to Dumfries to get a new tyre fitted and the wheel checked for distortion. Thankfully no damage to wheel and all balanced up perfectly to finish the journey to Birmingham.

Not the end to my Cupra ownership I had imagined :censored::censored::censored::censored:

ray

Jan 7, 2016
The cupra gods have struck!

Kidding man, least your back now and there was no damage, except to your wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adstalker

Nov 5, 2010
Darlington
Did you get a pic of the pot hole and it's location?

If it's a CAT 1 failure in the carriageway, the highway authority have a certain time frame to repair. It depends on the highway authority, but CAT 1 repairs are normally 24hrs for repair from identification.

If the repair hasn't been undertaken within the required timeframe, you can claim the cost of repair to your vehicle from the highway authority.

The highway authority also has a duty of care to road users so you also may be able to claim the cost of repair from them even if they hadn't identified the carriageway failure.

I work in the highway industry and when I worked for a consultant who undertook the design services for a local council. At this time of year, there would be a significant increase in the amount of compensation claims they would receive. The vast proportion of the time, these would be paid out as they didn't have enough resources to repair the pot holes in the required timeframe so we accountable for any damage they caused.

For the sake of the time it takes to write a letter or e-mail pleading your case, it's worth doing to try and get your money back. You will need the following:
1. Location of pot hole
2. picture of pothole
3. Picture of damage to vehicle
4. Cost of repair (receipt will be sufficient)
5. Description of the incident

Hope that helps.

Count Drunkula

Jul 12, 2017
Unfortunately it was pitch black and had travelled a few mins before the dreaded tpms warning light had come on so could only narrow it down to a 5 mile stretch . But I can assure you it was a beast of a hole , both myself and my mate in the car cursed when I hit it as I had very little time to react as I was about 3 car lengths back from a truck in the same lane at the time I seen it

Dunno how to go about getting a picture properly on a 3 lane motorway as aren't you supposed to put a ruler in the picture for scale?

Left receipt for new tyre in the Leon when swapping cars so it'll be binned by now anyway

Count Drunkula

Jul 12, 2017
I've remarked elsewhere that the Cupra 19" wheels are extremely strong. I've hit many potholes, and damaged two Michelins but the wheels have never buckled.

Whereas the 18" OE Ronals on my MK1 Audi TT have all been buckled (and repaired)....

I did actually fear the worst the impact was so bad . Very impressed with the 19" performance wheels (if only they were easier to clean) hopefully the 19" pretorias on my new car are manufactured to the same standards as the Leon rims , my last car before the cupra (mk6 Golf R with 19" Taladegas) the wheels seemed to be made of cheese

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
Unfortunately it was pitch black and had travelled a few mins before the dreaded tpms warning light had come on so could only narrow it down to a 5 mile stretch . But I can assure you it was a beast of a hole , both myself and my mate in the car cursed when I hit it as I had very little time to react as I was about 3 car lengths back from a truck in the same lane at the time I seen it

Dunno how to go about getting a picture properly on a 3 lane motorway as aren't you supposed to put a ruler in the picture for scale?

Left receipt for new tyre in the Leon when swapping cars so it'll be binned by now anyway

Only a fool breaks the two-second rule :whistle:

Count Drunkula

Jul 12, 2017
Only a fool breaks the two-second rule :whistle:

3 car lengths in a leon estate is more than 2 seconds ;)

The main problem wasn't the distance I had to react because of the truck as I was using the ACC to maintain distance at it's stock setting . It's the poor beam pattern from the LED headlights.

Yes they are extremely bright but I never found the projected quite far enough. Only car I've had since an ep3 type R that I've had to use full beam on local back roads

But hey ho done now and hopefully whoever buys the cupra enjoys it more than I did

Kernow Bob

Feb 3, 2018
Enjoy the golf r estate. Mine is a similar age and shod in ps4s's. And moving up to revo stage 2 tune on Monday.
Getting leased cupra 300 in aug as family second car. 700hp on the drive...
Had ep3s x 3 and an accord type r too. Loved them.

Last edited:

silles

May 4, 2017
After a brief but enjoyable stint owning a Leon Cupra ST 280 from last July I decided I missed my Golf R so arranged to trade it in at a Dealership down South for a 16 Plate Golf R estate

After setting out at 6am on a soggy dark Saturday morning from Glasgow this was the view at 7am after an altercation with an enormous pothole on an unlit stretch of the M74 Southbound

IMG_20180217_WA0005.jpg

Completely destroyed 3 week old Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S on drivers side front wheel

AA Man to the rescue as I didnt fancy doing it as was on the side of passing vehicles and still just about dusk
IMG_20180217_WA0006.jpg

so had to do the next 60 odd miles on the space saver down to Dumfries to get a new tyre fitted and the wheel checked for distortion. Thankfully no damage to wheel and all balanced up perfectly to finish the journey to Birmingham.

Not the end to my Cupra ownership I had imagined :censored::censored::censored::censored:

oh man that sucks ...
still waiting on the cupra but the 19" wheels makes me wonder how it's going to cope in pothole Britain

what DCC setting were u in when u hit the pothole?

Count Drunkula

Jul 12, 2017
Enjoy the golf r estate. Mine is a similar age and shod in ps4s's. And moving up to revo stage 2 tune on Monday.
Getting leased cupra 300 in aug as family second car. 700hp on the drive...
Had ep3s x 3 and an accord type r too. Loved them.

Already loving it but missing seat sound as couldn't find a used R estate with spec I wanted with dynaudio

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016

The main problem wasn't the distance I had to react because of the truck as I was using the ACC to maintain distance at it's stock setting . It's the poor beam pattern from the LED headlights.

Yes they are extremely bright but I never found the projected quite far enough. Only car I've had since an ep3 type R that I've had to use full beam on local back roads

But hey ho done now and hopefully whoever buys the cupra enjoys it more than I did

70mph is 31.3 m/s. So a following distance of 62.6m would be appropriate. I haven't checked the specs but I don't think a Leon estate is >20m.

Serves you right and lucky you didn't end up under the lorry.

Count Drunkula

Jul 12, 2017
70mph is 31.3 m/s. So a following distance of 62.6m would be appropriate. I haven't checked the specs but I don't think a Leon estate is >20m.

Serves you right and lucky you didn't end up under the lorry.

Sorry where have I said I was doing 70mph?

Jog on you troll

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Intelligence says a lorry can’t do more than 57..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
How could he be doing 70mph with ACC on behind a truck doing 54-56mph?

ACC would be matching the trucks speed.

Last edited:

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
56 mph = 25m/s. Following >50m. Is a Leon 16.6m long? The reason op couldn't avoid the pothole is because he was following too closely.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum

Lousy thing to happen mate, I've lost a couple of tyres due to craters and it's not good. Glad I'm not the only one who things the LED lights are not the best in certain situations. Still prefer a decent set of xenons.
Good luck with the new motor.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise