How to dim dashboard lights on Toledo 4?

coldplay

Hello guys,
can anyone tell me whether it is possible to dim dashboard lights on Toledo 4?
I was testing Style version but couldn't figure out how to dim the lights, neither the sales guy knew.
Many thanks!
lukas

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I have a 2014 and there is no dash dimmer on the toledo 4.

Another example of the push to keep the price down - which I like - cheap is my top reason for buying it.

the bert

Nov 28, 2015
I have a 2014 and there is no dash dimmer on the toledo 4.

Another example of the push to keep the price down - which I like - cheap is my top reason for buying it.

Agreed, but I have always had my dash on full illume my entire driving life...

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I know how to dim the dash lights.

Drive through a tunnel without exterior lights on - the dash sensor blacks out the dials to push you into lighting-up.

simon1304

Mar 2, 2016
Cambs
Hello guys,
can anyone tell me whether it is possible to dim dashboard lights on Toledo 4?
I was testing Style version but couldn't figure out how to dim the lights, neither the sales guy knew.
Many thanks!
lukas

I have just taken delivery of a new (2016 MY) Toledo Style. The dashboard lighting can be dimmed, ditto the 'ambient' lighting of the footwells and console.

It is done via the media-nav system (which is standard on the 2016 Style but may be completely different on other models/years). Select the 'Car' tab, then (on screen) Settings, Lighting.

My dash lighting was set at full brightness, it is now at 10%. Personal preference, of course, but I like to be able to see the instruments; I don't need them to light me up!

As a BTB, I'm not surprised that the sales guy didn't know. As I was trading in a Rapid, my sales guy's position was "you know more about these than I do". He was right. And it wasn't difficult, given his level of knowlege. (Slightly tongue-in-cheek - not having a pop - he was generally very sensible).

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Yes the 2016 media system has so many options it makes Carista modding redundant on the top spec Toledo and Rapid.
I cant get on with the newer Satnav graphics though, and on the Leon the colour screen in place of the maxidot just irritated me the whole time.

Last edited:

simon1304

Mar 2, 2016
Cambs
Yes the 2016 media system has so many options it makes Carista modding redundant on the top spec Toledo and Rapid.
I cant get on with the newer Satnav graphics though, and on the Leon the colour screen in place of the maxidot just irritated me the whole time.

I've not use the nav function 'in anger' yet, just had a play with it. I don't particularly like the graphics either, but that may just be because I am used to my Tomtom. On balance, and despite the fact that using the Tomtom isn't as neat and tidy, I think that the TT is likely to remain the preferred nav tool - because, in no particular order:

my TT comes with free maps for life whilst I suspect that updating the built in system will be expensive;

the TT, when stuck on the windscreen, is line-of-sight which I prefer to having to look down to the media nav screen (I think that the turn-by-turn directions can be viewed on the maxidot - not played with that yet - but that isn't line-of sight either);

my TT has full postcode search and the ability to select waypoints to customise a route - both of which I use - whereas, if the built-in system has these features, I haven't found them yet (which is quite possible - I'd be happy to be corrected if they are actually there);

I can set up the TT in advance, indoors.

I'm not suggesting that the TT is brilliant. It's quite primitive in some ways, e.g. the resisitive touch-screen. I just find it, generally, fit for purpose - up to date and as easy to see as looking in the mirror.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
The nice thing on MY16 media plus is being able to do your custom settings for lights, locks, wipers, dashboard settings etc without shelling out £15 for a Carista licence and a few more quid on the correct OBD2 reader. I am well pleased with the changes I've made - digital MPH speedo, single click unlocking, speed sensitive wipers to name a few - but it's great that when buying a new car now, you get to choose all those settings without messing about with aftermarket ECU modifying tools.

simon1304

Mar 2, 2016
Cambs
The nice thing on MY16 media plus is being able to do your custom settings for lights, locks, wipers, dashboard settings etc without shelling out £15 for a Carista licence and a few more quid on the correct OBD2 reader. I am well pleased with the changes I've made - digital MPH speedo, single click unlocking, speed sensitive wipers to name a few - but it's great that when buying a new car now, you get to choose all those settings without messing about with aftermarket ECU modifying tools.

Changed most of those settings although I didn't see any way of making the wipers speed-sensitive (I don't have auto lights/wipers); may have just missed it but I did work my way down the settings menu one by one!

The only downside of these things is the likely cost of replacement when the blue screen of death appears. Looking on this car as a potential 'keeper'; if the media nav screen dies I guess that thay can charge what they like - and likely will! I look at my phone and tablet, do I expect them to last 10 years... err, no (OK, so I shall doubtless want to replace them before then, but not so the screen in the car!).

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.