camber adjustment

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Having just the same issues mate. Tyres have just lasted me 5500 and now need changing! Right piss take!

Think Laser allignment and cupra bushes will help, although fitting on the bushes can be around £150/£200... Cheaper to buy tyres lol

I'd guess that by altering the geometry on the front end (ride height), this problem can never be sorted properly - unless the Cupra TCAs are as suggested, just a bit shorter so that the bottom of the strut/hub gets pulled in. As suggested by someone already, getting adjustable top mounts is the way to go - but £££££. I'd say that its pretty cruel for "go faster" outlets mugging folk into buying kits that lower the suspension without correction bits for camber. These places know exactly who they are (mainly) selling to.

On a slightly different note, when I got a good VAG indie to fit Cupra TCA rear bushes to my wife's bog standard 1.4 Polo 9N, I was very pleased with the results - until about 8,500 miles later when both front tyres were s**gged by MOT time - these Michelin Pilot Exaltos were 30 miles old when the Cupra bushes were fitted - but that was more a caster problem (error) than a camber error - though the camber was not spot on. So, for 12 months or 8,500 miles car needed two new tyres and another four wheel re-alignment which came out to about £85 + £85 + £80 = £250 !!

ibizadoyle

Oct 10, 2008
pembroke dock (wales)
well my tyres have lasted longer than that it just they are wearing unevenly!!! getting new ones tonight then have lazer allignment done on sat to see if they can notice anythin!!!! mite get the new bushes aswell how much they cost? and what do they do exactly? i know someone who will do it so fitting aint an issue!!
,any thanks simon

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
well my tyres have lasted longer than that it just they are wearing unevenly!!! getting new ones tonight then have lazer allignment done on sat to see if they can notice anythin!!!! mite get the new bushes aswell how much they cost? and what do they do exactly? i know someone who will do it so fitting aint an issue!!
,any thanks simon

The CUPRA bushes are solid rubber instead of having voids in like the standard ones.
They hold the wishbone in place better so the wheel doesn't move as much and the tracking remains more constant.

Cost of the bushes is less than £20 for the pair - fitting is usually the expensive part (£150 ish) - but if you can sort out fitting it's worth while doing the job.

PS - Do the bushes BEFORE you have the lazer alignment done.

knackerdecobre

Having more camber (within reason) means you can go round corners quicker ;)

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Having more camber (within reason) means you can go round corners quicker ;)

Like this....

0903trweb_35_z+tokyo_auto_salon_vans+green_toyota_previa_extreme_camber.jpg

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
lowered and diesel and a few miles under ya belt and knowing how crap the standard bushes are compared to the solid Cupra ones i'm surprises you havent blown em out already

check/change em first then get the suspension all aligned, im surprised you didn't get it checked after doing the struts anyway

Jul 12, 2009
London
www.flickr.com
Mine was in the garage the other day, got them to have a quick look at the condition of the bushes. There not "that" bad yet...

I would change them if I 100% knew this would fix the problem... but i'm not sure it will?

Aimez

The tracking lad at my work says you have to change the tyres after or when you ahve the tracking/alignment done or you won't see the difference they will carry on wearing unevenly.
I had no uneven tyre wear issues before lowering will see if I do now after I have now had powerflex and cupra bushes fitted at the same time as wheel alignment. But then on the other hand there is always a big argument on here that the ibiza cannot be adjusted at the rear and we are all being ripped off having this done?!

Aimez

yes but they say it is a rip of the pay the extra money it cost for 4 wheel alignment which you would need they say if getting bushes changed. Normal tracking done cost about £30 full wheel alignment is £80 or more I can't remember.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
When discussing "setting all four wheels up" remember one thing, if the rear of the car is "off" to the imaginery action line of the car, then perfecting the positions of the front two wheels only will never work as the car will crab along the road. The need to carry out a four wheel or complete running gear check, is to try to centre the front and rear suspension/wheel assemlies on the chassis and on themselves (front<>rear), think of the car as a line drawing or shape, you are aiming to create a "square" and not a "parallelogram" or some other shape. The term "four wheel alignment" seems to cause problems with purists of the english language, but in reality its setting up the car to run true that is more important and that tends to involve doing a bit more than trying to move only the two front assemblies around with total disregard to where that places them with respect to the car's intended centre line using the rear (fixed) wheels as referance.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Mine was in the garage the other day, got them to have a quick look at the condition of the bushes. There not "that" bad yet...

I would change them if I 100% knew this would fix the problem... but i'm not sure it will?

If you are intending to improve your car's suspension, as said already, get rid of these voided TCA rear bushes - they will always be a weak item in the system. Cupra TCA rear bushes first!