Leave that front grill alone on your 225 if yours has changed read this

The Machine

[:@] If you have changed your front grill for the honey comb effect grill it could be a costly mistake!!!

The leon grill is designed in the way it should be on the turbos to keep your engine at a cooler temperature when driving your machine hard, if you notice there are minimum restrictions on the shape of the grill to ensure it gets all the air it needs to keep it happy, so be warned if your a track nut and like that lovely grill off the standard versions BEWARE!!

And above all dont forget a cool engine (especially turbo charged) is a fast happy one..

:cry: Sold but never forgotton 1.6 RST 14sec 1/4 mile @100mph Reg BAD BOY!
:funk: Proud owner 54 leon 225 soon to visit jabba, forge

schnipps

Apr 17, 2006
On the subject of grills has anyone actually managed to fit a chrome grill kit? Its an utter mare to fit, i did one side then pulled it off as im going to need araldite to hold it on.

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
The Machine said:
[:@] If you have changed your front grill for the honey comb effect grill it could be a costly mistake!!!

The leon grill is designed in the way it should be on the turbos to keep your engine at a cooler temperature when driving your machine hard, if you notice there are minimum restrictions on the shape of the grill to ensure it gets all the air it needs to keep it happy, so be warned if your a track nut and like that lovely grill off the standard versions BEWARE!!

And above all dont forget a cool engine (especially turbo charged) is a fast happy one..

:lol: Funniest thing I've ever heard. Changing the grille to a honecombe one is going to make :censored: all difference to the airflow in real terms. Plus the radiator and intercoolers are below the top grille so the engine cooling isn't really effected by the grilles you'd be changing...

Sorry but if you're engine has gone pop I hardly think you can blame it on fitting a different set of ( quite small ) grilles...:whistle:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
then why is the '03 model honeycombe then ?

drastic bumper changes i can understand - especially F2 style on the ibiza as the air simply scoops under the rad if you dont add a plate across the bottom - and temperatures do rise as a result

Last edited:

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
The Machine said:

I don't get it either? the bits you could change to honeycombe are the centre grill with the S badge and the two grills either side....as has been said the three lower grilles on the LCR feed the two intercoolers and the radiator(therefore they do all tghe major cooling work)....changing the upper grilles to honeycombe would only effect a small % of air going to the very top of the radiator.

What was the basis for this warning?

My LCR radiator worked even sticking a massive Forge FMIC right in front of it so i'm struggling to see the logic

Simsy

Feb 21, 2005
Scotty_b said:
Didnt think anyone had changed them as they was too much chopping?

You're right I've done it & it took ages to fit properly, it requires a ton of chopping. I must admit it has made no difference to performance, only that it makes my front end look miles better imo.

I really can't see it makes any difference to hinder cooling other wise Seat would not of put on the MYO3 spec Cupra. :confused:

DSC01317noreg.jpg

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Simsy said:
You're right I've done it & it took ages to fit properly, it requires a ton of chopping. I must admit it has made no difference to performance, only that it makes my front end look miles better imo.

I really can't see it makes any difference to hinder cooling other wise Seat would not of put on the MYO3 spec Cupra. :confused:

DSC01317noreg.jpg

But thats a Cupra. The issue was for the 225 (well as stated above), so i presume he meant Cupra R? As i have heard of a couple in europe that have had it done but not seen any. As the 225 has a different (smaller) noise (where the 'S' sits)

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
I heard changing to the S2000 aerial can also cause over heating of the turbo on 225 models:p

But seriously

Technically the grill change may hgave some substance to a minute degree, but i do doubt it really

CupraR-Rog

Just Cruising...
Jul 19, 2003
West Somerset
Visit site
schnipps said:
On the subject of grills has anyone actually managed to fit a chrome grill kit? Its an utter mare to fit, i did one side then pulled it off as im going to need araldite to hold it on.
Piece of cake - went straight on and used less than half the supplied glue...

Looks like I was lucky then!

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
does that mean the BTCC leons are going to explode? they have no grille at all,just a solid black plastic cover.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.