Cupra R Front Brake Pads

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
So, I was following the many guides I've read to change the front brake pads. Took the guide pins out, but the caliper cover won't lift past the carrier! Any ideas?

All the blue arrowed bit moves as one. Catching on the green arrowed carrier:
aEyFH5V.jpg

There's 4 of these bolts on the back, but no mention of if I should remove them or what they should be torqued back up to:
dCNmavj.jpg

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hmm, still no luck, thanks anyway. I get the feeling that I need to push the piston back in a bit to give me wiggle room to get the caliper off. But its getting late and cold so have had to put the bolts back in and wheel back on.

Think I'm going to grab a gallon of oil, filters, etc. Book into a self service garage and have a go at it there. It'll cost me a bit more, but I'm getting too old to be freezing my nuts off on the driveway :(

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Hmm, still no luck, thanks anyway. I get the feeling that I need to push the piston back in a bit to give me wiggle room to get the caliper off. But its getting late and cold so have had to put the bolts back in and wheel back on.

Think I'm going to grab a gallon of oil, filters, etc. Book into a self service garage and have a go at it there. It'll cost me a bit more, but I'm getting too old to be freezing my nuts off on the driveway :(

It's not warm...

I'm just about to give another door motor a bit of wd40 to get the lock going again... What people must think seeing me drill into my door haha

Good luck in the garage. Maybe some better help instead of pictures may show up...

Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Driving - SEAT Leon Mk2 Cupra R 2010
Previous Car - SEAT Leon Mk2 FR 2007

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Well, I took photos up to where I got. And when I do my service / brakes again, I'll be doing a comprehensive photo guide. Its naff how little info there is out there for the likes of us.

Oh and just for reference, just under 4 feet for the spring clip. Luckily it missed the body work. I had a cloth in front of it, but the frickin thing went sideways and landed in front of the car!

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Okay - don't take out those 4 bolts that hold the 2 parts of the caliper together. The service manual specifically says not to.

You correctly guessed that you need to lever the piston back in slightly until the calliper will come off.

The guide pins should be torqued to 30 Nm.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members