ABS Fault - HELP!!!

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
Right - Had the ABS light come on a while ago. Used VAG-CAM and got a reading that it was 01276 - ABS pump signal outside specifications. Reset the light a few times, but it definatley was a real fault, not just a random glitch.

Went to rosstech wiki which says that it is either the pump or ECU. Did a search on this forum and several other people had had the same fault. They all had replaced the pump and ECU and the problem had gone away.

So, had a look on ebay to try and find a pump from the golf - and discoverd that as I have the TDI, the pump is different. Seat wanted £1200 for the bits so went away and did more research. Eventaly found a reconditioned one for £45. Bargin!

Fitted the pump this weekend, when I could have been doing other things (although I do enjoy working on the car so didnt mind too much). Coded it in and went for a drive. 100m down the road the light came on again. Same fault. Reset several times and light kept reappearing. Got a mate to drive the car for me and I tried playing with it through vag-com whilst moving. Twice I was told that the software was unable to communicate with the controller.

This leads me to suspect that there is a connection problem. Have checked the connection under the bonnet for corrosion ect. but nothing. All fuses and other common sense items have been checked.

Please help - I am open to any suggestions as to what might be wrong. I guess there must be a connection in to the dash from the ABS. Anyone know anything about this or any other connections/computers in the loop. There must be a computer in the dash as the ABS light comes on when the pump is not connected. I dont have much money at the mo as am a student (doing electronics - Doh) so dont realy want to go to the stealers. Are they able to test if I have been given a duff pump?

Sorry for the long post but realy need some help as it wont pass its MOT, and is doing my head in!
:)

RichN

Collecting Rings
Jan 29, 2005
Oxford
www.Oxford7s.net
Are they able to test if I have been given a duff pump?

Sorry, I don't know if they can test them, but I was going to suggest you check the replacement part somehow - direct swap for another, if nobody can test them? This is a common fault with the Passat (and other VWs I guess) it seems - I had a friend with the same issue.. he ended up whacking his into someone who pulled out in front of him as the ABS doesn't function with the warning light on (if that's not obvious..)

The main ECU itself will be controlling the status of the lights on the dash by the way.

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
Thanks, could well be a faulty pump which theyve given me. Problem is the only way to test it is to replace it with another one, which means not only buying a new pump, but changing it again! Will phone seat tomorow to see of they can test the pump.

DaveBmastertech

Hello there,
I have come across this fault and on numerous occasions the fault has been a bad earth underneath the battery tray,easy to resolve,remove the battery and the earth small 10mm nut and clean with sand paper and grease the terminals.Erase the fault and test.
this is a common fault as the water settles inside the terminals,by grasing the terminals you shouldn't have any further problems
I would put the old pump back and try this first before getting too involved with it as it may save you time and money,hope this is the same fault as i have experienced in the past.
Regards Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
there are some diagnostic kits (draper comes to mind) that runs through the solenoids testing one by one

i stripped mine down cleaned out the crap gunk and cleaned all the connections as above

right as rain after that

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise