DPF Emergency Regeneration

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Ross-tech have just put this procedure on their Wiki, might be of interest to owners of TDIs with DPFs who also own vag-com....

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Diesel_Particle_Filter_Emergency_Regeneration

It gives some clues as to what the 4 sensors fitted around the DPF do, as the measuring blocks give values for EGTs in 3 places, plus DPF "load" (not sure how that's measured, maybe some difference in flow or EGTs before & after the DPF?).

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
By the way, I particularly liked this line:
If the Particle Filter Load is above Specification the Particle Filter needs to be replaced since the car may burn down when regenerating

Daniel1431

Jun 21, 2008
Walsall, West Midlands
I read the one from the AA website. I now have a Ecomotive which has one of these fitted but i hope i never get this problem because of motorway driving every couple of times a month. If i comes on i know just to give it a nice blast down the motorway for 10 mins or so. :D

flappy

Ferociously Rapid
Mar 28, 2007
I believe 2 of the sensors are EGT's and the others are measuring the pressure difference through the DPF

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
Some manufacturers are having some big issues with DPF's. I know some Mazdas that are only doing local, short mileages are getting huge problems with diesel in the sump (up to a gallon!) then revving up on their own as the oil/fuel mix is so overfull its getting sucked into the inlet manifold through the crankcase breathers, bad news. Sure this isn't just a Mazda problem - Japs seldom get it wrong!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Some manufacturers are having some big issues with DPF's. I know some Mazdas that are only doing local, short mileages are getting huge problems with diesel in the sump (up to a gallon!) then revving up on their own as the oil/fuel mix is so overfull its getting sucked into the inlet manifold through the crankcase breathers, bad news. Sure this isn't just a Mazda problem - Japs seldom get it wrong!
That's not due to the DPF though, or is it ?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
huge problems with diesel in the sump (up to a gallon!) then revving up on their own as the oil/fuel mix is so overfull its getting sucked into the inlet manifold through the crankcase breathers, bad news

Daihatsu's old noddy van (piaggio engine) used to have injectors inside the rocker cover and o-ring seals failed causing same problem - nice to sit back an watch em rev til they pop

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
That's not due to the DPF though, or is it ?

Apparently so, injection goes into a different cycle when regenerating to get the DPF hot but people just drive at normal (low revs) then the fuel just washes past the rings into the sump. Mazdas quick fix is, believe it or not, a longer dip stick so less oil is put in at services!! :lol:

Daniel1431

Jun 21, 2008
Walsall, West Midlands
My light came on the other day when i was driving around. Thought the car was playing up as it wasn't driving like it usually did then the light came on so i took it on the motorway for like 10 mins and it went off after 2 mins!

LordElric

Aug 30, 2006
Chalkida,Greece
What about if dpf level reaches 70% (like mine did).They told me they have taken it down to 11% by driving to 2500 r/m and activating the self regenerating routine with a mobile computer.Here in greece engines with dpf filtre are not something common,so they (from seat;s service) didn't know they had to do this until 67000km! Is there any possibility i have any problems from that delay?I have to say that a month later my engine went out and they had to change one of the four fuel injectors (dont know the exact word,sorry) and now i am afraid if something is wrong with the rest three.
Thanks for any kind opinion,here in greece i feel so lonely with my FR tdi,as it seems to be the only one in the country...

mickeychr

I have a SEAT Leon FR Tdi. Sometimes it idles at 1000rmp instead of the normal 750 ish. When its doing this its very 'juddery' to drive. Is this a problem with the DPF?

Daniel1431

Jun 21, 2008
Walsall, West Midlands
You may find that is it as sometimes this happens to my Ibiza. When you are changing gear does the car feel like it jumps into gear and then power is a little late when you put your foot on the pedal?
If this is yes you may find that the DPF light will come on soon.

AUTO EMOTION

mickeychr.

There are few regeneration modes, in your case in urban traffic with low loads on the engine, the exhaust gas temperatures for passive regeneration of the particulate filter were too low so active one was in action make some post injections and rise idle not to worry about it.

Thug T

You may find that is it as sometimes this happens to my Ibiza. When you are changing gear does the car feel like it jumps into gear and then power is a little late when you put your foot on the pedal?
If this is yes you may find that the DPF light will come on soon.

mine did that exactly now i got 3 lights on there.... any advice?

phatvr6

Just tried this on my girlfriends Altea FR.

I changed the cambelt last month, it's done 66k. She only does short journies, and I have noticed before it sometimes goes a little flat but a good thrash clears it up.

Anyway, It's had a fault code for a while about the injectors. It just keeps coming back. So, I've just changed the injector loom in an attempt to clear it. It didn't work, just came back straight away.

The DPF light came on too recently, been trying to do the regen but just couldn't get it to work at all. Then I noticed if I cleared the codes it'd let me do the regen. But after a while the fault code pops up again and the regen stops. If I go and clear the codes it'll kick back into regen again. I've had to keep cyclcing it like this, clearing the codes, then checking to see if it's still doing the regen. It was working great, just got it down from 61% to 24% then disaster! now the glow plug light is flashing as well as the DPF light, and the car is completely flat as a fart and gutless. There is no power, it won't rev. I'm guessing it's in limp mode, but even turning it off and waiting a while then starting doesn't cure it.

I've got 2 codes:-

Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Control Module Part Number: 03G 906 018 EC HW: 03G 906 018 EC
Component and/or Version: R4 2.0l PPD1.2 G 9135
Software Coding: 0050072
Work Shop Code: WSC 06401 785 00200
VCID: 6AC50FC23CEF
2 Faults Found:

008194 - Particulate Trap Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold
P2002 - 006 - Short to Plus
004706 - PD Unit Injector: Cylinder 1 (N240): Regulation Range Not Reached
P1262 - 007 - Short to Ground

I'm now panicking thinking I have completely wrecked the DPF. Is this the case? Just parked the car up for the night hoping the ecu might calm down a bit by the morning...but I'm not holding out much hope :-(

Last edited by a moderator:

mickeychr

exhaust system sensor!

Exactly the same happened with mine and this went on for months. The first dealer said it needed a new dpf as it had completely clogged. I've had problems with this dealer before. I took it to the next closest dealer and they were excellent. It turned out to be a broken sensor in the exhaust system. The car was constantly thinking the system was blocked because of the sensor and as a result these warning lights were coming on and triggering limp mode. They fixed it under warranty. Never had a single problem since.

phatvr6

Nice one! Is that the G450 ehaust pressure sensor you're talking about?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise