MPG & Wing Mirrors

1337n00b

Evening All,

I have a Seat Leon Cupra Mk1.
I am 20 Years Old. Yes, My Insurance company has raped me.

Few things I'd like some advise on.

MPG

I do a short trip to work 5 days a week, my engine barley gets within half way of being warmed up. I drive mostly 30-40Mph on the way to work. I drive sensibly and don't cane it often.

I use V-Power, spend about £55 a week and do around 250 Miles per Tank.
Think thats about 23Mpg.
My Mate has a Re-mapped Skoda Octavia VRS, exactally the same engine (Mine is standard) but he gets more MPG than me.

Just would like to know if this is normal? Parkers says about 30Mpg i think.

Wing Mirror Folding Mechanism

Secondly, my most important issue.
Some Numpty couldn't park correctly at work.
You know the type, they don't know the dimensions of their car, and park with their wheels on the bay dividing lines.
I parked up perfectly sensibly in my bay, making it very difficult for him/her to get in their car :D
I took a pictre of it, so i have evidence and their VRM incase out happens.

Anyways, im coming out of work, no dents on the car, however the nearside wing mirror is folded in; offside one is open how i left it.
Obviously he/she has done this to get into their car.
I start the engine and flick the little knob thing to fold my wing mirror back out,(cos im too lazy to lean over and do it) there was a little bit of comotion and a click/bang type noise. Then neither of them would fold in or out, however they could be moved to adjust the view.

I started my car up again later tonight, and tried to fold both wing mirrors in, they both tried, and folded in; however the mysterious click/bang noise came back and they wont fold out again.

If you can understand what you've just read, then does anyone know what the issue is?
Or know any fixes?

Hopefully it wont need repairing, as I'll be billing the guy who's folded my mirror once i track him down. Gonna try and view the CCTV, but thats another story.

Any help / suggestions?

Cheers,

Jun 28, 2001
1 you are using so much fuel because its still warming up and on cold start. like on a car with carbs the choke is still out.
2 try folding the mirror back to its normal position first ,but they all normall go like that

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
1. for me it takes abit of time for it to adjust but the mpg should rise, try some fuel treatment may help.
2. i had similer issue were some nutter smakced my mirror (thinks he michel shoemacker) and mirror was pushed in, best way to sort it out is open all the mirros by hand and make sure the switch is in the middle, so when you fold it, it should go in.

stevo72

Feb 3, 2007
cambridge
not been funny, but if your car isnt warming up by the time you get to work, must be going only a few miles, so why dont you use a bike !

Like the other guy says your choke is open whilst warming up so uses hell alot of petrol , i used to do short journeys, used me bike instead and makes a big difference to your wallet !

1337n00b

MPG Issue

The jorney is about 5 Miles, too far to ride.
Plus the fact im lazy.

Another thing is, if i warm me engine up. Let it sit till its on 90.
Then drive it, the temperature still falls, then goes back up when im not moving.
Must have a beast of a radiator? lol

Wing Mirrors

I did fold them all the way back out to the normal position (when it first happened), they still wouldn't fold in. no response when twisting the switch.

I got home. When i nipped out earlier, started the engine again.
They actaully folded in, but made a horrible noise again, then stopped responding and i had to manually fold them back out.

hope this helps

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
try disconnecting your battery with the mirrors in the out position then when the battery is hooked up again they should work properly. i had a similar thing happened to mine recently.

Last edited:

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
This morning: Cold engine @ 60 - 42mpg (no matter how hard I tried), warm engine - 50mpg, normal operating temperature - 60mpg - average today - 52mpg

:)

Even managed to cut my journey time this morning

(Do I need to get out more?)

magicoi

Aug 31, 2007
Lincolnshire
Bloody hell James, do you drive like a nun??!!!:p

I can only get 48-49mpg on a good trip from Nottingham to home over 44 miles.

Side Note: 1st fill up on V-Power last night. Car seems a bit smoother already but, at £1.089 a litre, i feel like Mr Brown has given me a good un up the old *whistles*:blink: [:@]

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
Bloody hell James, do you drive like a nun??!!!:p

I can only get 48-49mpg on a good trip from Nottingham to home over 44 miles.

Side Note: 1st fill up on V-Power last night. Car seems a bit smoother already but, at £1.089 a litre, i feel like Mr Brown has given me a good un up the old *whistles*:blink: [:@]

:p

Well, I was just seeing what MPG I could be getting at that point in time - I wound it up to 75 after that...

MPG varies, but, if I average 45mpg each fill, I'm happy.... 50mpg is normal for 70mph driving (Travelling TO work - I mean, who hurries to work?), 45-48 on the way home (Driving a little bit quicker:)) and 40 odd for ambling in town and traffic.

I fill up every week :cry: - 450+ miles a week :cry::cry:

p1tse

Dec 1, 2004
get it remapped

but on a short journey like that, that's not bad mileage

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.