iTB Ibiza Cupra 16v Track Toy - Engine Rebuild, Aero & More Page 73+

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Thanks for the comments!

Mig - That day was just getting worse and worse by the min.... funny looking back on it now mind. And thanks for saying that fella, the car still isn't looking the way I want it.

Got a nice to do/get list over the next couple of months, so even more money spent... would be happy if I could get a mag interested in the car this year.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Well brought myself a roll cage just after xmas, it's an ex Rockingham Roll Cage from 1 of 12 Seat Ibiza Cupra R's there use to use as pace cars and driving school cars. For the past 6 weeks it's been sitting in the car not bolted down or nothing. Bascially because I needed to wait to go down my mates garage and to see if I could live with it being in the car, i haven't got any pics of it sitting inside the car but I rather wait to get pics up when it's all sparyed and fitted!

Here's the car during stripping it on one of our sunny days we had

Photo-0064-1.jpg

Photo-0065.jpg

Forgot to take pics when everything was out so here's some before we started welding inside the car
Photo-0094.jpg

Photo-0090.jpg

Photo-0093.jpg

I made some drawing took them to work and had the tin smiths to make them up for me, there we made from 3mm sheet metal. We marked up the holes for the plates and the floor and then I got to work drilling the plates and Mat drilled through the flooring.

Photo-0091.jpg

Photo-0092.jpg

Photo-0089.jpg

Photo-0095.jpg

Then he welded the plates to the floor
Photo-0097.jpg

Last edited:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
And then sprayed in primer
Photo-0098.jpg

Got the work on the front plates then
Photo-0101.jpg

Photo-0102.jpg

And a trail fit to make sure it all lines up!
Photo-0104.jpg

Photo-0103.jpg

Once we were happy with how the cage fitted and with the A and B pillars in it let us see how the rear part would sit! So done some measures and then about 5 more to make sure we were happy with them and Mat went away to work his stuff on the box section that was needed for the rear. This is when we noticed that the rear feet were not the same...... one foot was lower than the other! These Rockingham cages were made by Custom Cages inside the cars when they 1st installed them so human error I guess.... not a huge problem anyway.

Photo-0003.jpg

These are the box sections
Photo-0105.jpg

Photo-0106.jpg

Photo-0107.jpg

Photo-0108.jpg

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Photo-0001-1.jpg

Photo-0002.jpg

Photo-0005.jpg

Photo-0007-1.jpg

And then welded into place
Photo-0009-1.jpg

Photo-0008-1.jpg

Photo-0010.jpg

On these pics you can see that the holes are not staight but at a slight angle.

And fair play I have to give it to Mat his work is a piece of art! There are more photos to come but my battery went and the other pics are on Mat's phone.

Where it is not possible to bolt straight to the floor through the plates, capitive nuts were welded to the underneath of the plates.

The cage is now being rubbed down this week and hopefully sprayed very soon! :)

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
don't forget that your regular belts won't fit anymore, and the sun visor's have to come out too

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Regualr belts are already gone and the visors went when I was driving around with it just sitting there for 6 weeks lol.

Bucket seats will be ordered soon I think..... can get the standard ones in but need to move them into place 1st then bolt on the side bars

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
box metal and an angle grinder - no garden shed or workshop should be without them :)

nice one

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Looks grate dave you and mat are doing a top job!

I can't take anything for fitted this, all I did was draw up the plates, drill them and remove some sound deading..... Mat (bezza gti) did all the work and I can't be anymore thankful I think lol :whistle:

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
Lol,if hes out like my mate then keep the cups of teas comeing and he will be happy all day long lol,whats nxt afther the cage?

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Lol,if hes out like my mate then keep the cups of teas comeing and he will be happy all day long lol,whats nxt afther the cage?

Oh it was coffee, kfc and b.fast rolls lol

My front and rear neuspeed anti roll bars came yesterday so thats next on the list already.... may try to fit the rear one this weekend, if the weather is good.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Got the pics off Mat’s phone so here are the other pics!

DSC00425.jpg

DSC00453.jpg

More of the rear box section:
DSC00429.jpg

DSC00430.jpg

Then before getting all the plates in primer we did a trail fit make sure it all lines up nice (and pray).

DSC00431.jpg

DSC00432.jpg

DSC00433.jpg

DSC00434.jpg

DSC00436.jpg

How close the hand gets to the bar when holing the steering wheel…. Drove like this for a for weeks before fitting correctly and I didn’t hit is once and now I have a little bit more of a gap when it’s all fitted right.

DSC00438.jpg

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Continued

DSC00448.jpg

DSC00450.jpg

DSC00451.jpg

DSC00455.jpg

DSC00457.jpg

Put some sealant on the front plates because they will get rubbed about the place from the car mats.
DSC00454.jpg

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Week later it was time to spray up all the plates to hopefully match the floor. Mat had a go of blending in the paint and I think it matched the flooring pretty well…. Especially since the colour of the car!

It’s like when you look at the rear turrets where the flooring has very little paint and then it’s slowly blended to the rear turrets where there is the proper colour.

DSC00461.jpg

DSC00462.jpg

We didn't bother trying to blend the front plates in because mats will be covering them and it would be hard because of the sound deadening.
DSC00463.jpg

DSC00464.jpg

DSC00465.jpg

DSC00466.jpg

You can see Henry's little bruv in the background Charles..... He liked sucking ears all through the weekend!
DSC00467.jpg

DSC00468.jpg

DSC00469.jpg

DSC00472.jpg

I’m well impressed the work Mat have done, I know I wouldn’t be able to do any of that lol. And I’m especially impressed with the rear section!

Last edited:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
The cage is getting rubbed back this week and then sprayed in its new colour on Friday. If all goes to plan the cage will be all finished and fitted this Saturday!!!

Then it’s time to move on the list:

Neuspeed ARB’s (Got, waiting to fit)
New discs & pads (To get)
Samco Hoses (Got, waiting to fit)
Bucket Seats (To get)

Gonna try to get the above done before Performance Action Day in Castle Combe because I got some track time mmmmmmmmm.

Hopefully have my gauge pod from Seat soon and fit my pressure gauge and another gauge when I decide which other one will be helpful! (God knows when it’s all going to come).

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
Lookin good dave coulor match is real good!karnt wait to see i might have to come 2 castel combe just to have a look!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise