How to tell if your K1 is Real

Gex

Sep 13, 2016
Newcastle upon Tyne
I tweeted SEAT UK (@SEAT_cars_UK) to confirm if my K1 is genuine, I got a reply in a couple of hours and they confirmed it was. I found this the quickest method to find out from the horses mouth.

Another way is to use Parkers Free Car Valuation and put in the cars original registration number. If it comes up with "SEAT Leon Cupra (07-11) 2.0 16V T FSI Cupra K1 5d" then you're in luck!

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
KW57 LRJ which was the SEAT UK Demo K1 comes up as K1.

There's a green one on ebay, A mate asked me to do some digging on it and we managed to find the reg, comes up as Cupra only.

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
I've had confirmation that mine was converted by Letchworth SEAT prior to handover. It ran as their demo for a while.

fozzybear

middle aged speed freak
Feb 4, 2006
halifax,west yorks
The only difference between the k1 and cupra was bodykit ie front and rear bumper ....thats itso if you have found one thats perfect but registered as a cupra don,t worry just buy it...as said above fitted by dealers as extra on purchase

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
Are there 4 variants of K1 :

1. K1's converted by SEAT UK upon Import to the UK, then distributed to dealers. Records are held on the SEAT UK database.
2. K1's converted by dealers for demo or to satisfy a customer order. But due to lack of SEAT UK genuine stock, or known quality issues, they arrive at the dealers as Cupra's, disappear for a few days and as if by magic they are unveiled as K1 during handover. Customer is unaware.
3. K1's that are ordered, but the purchaser is advised that it needs to be converted from Cupra to K1 prior to handover. It would be interesting to know if any 1st owner had this conversation,
4. K1's converted post registration/delivery by customer request, at any point during it' life, where the customer specifically request for full transformation, including K1 badge.

No.1's seem to be classed as genuine and No.4's are certainly fake.
No.2 & 3 is a bit of a grey area and ultimately depends on if there was any 'agreement' from SEAT UK on what was acceptable within the dealer network.

Mine sits in the No.2 slot, as it was converted whilst SEAT UK's name was on the V5, during the transition from SEAT UK ownership to the SEAT dealer network forecourt.
Hence I am seeking clarification on exactly when the conversion took place and whether SEAT UK sanctioned this method of K1 creation.

I will keep you posted.

Last edited:

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
If it's got a genuine Seat K1 body kit fitted,it's a K1

It's a bloody body kit ffs

I agree, but you try telling that to the person that comes to view it and then checks with SEAT UK.
Although saying that, if it wasn't an issue then I wouldn't have the great car I have now.

The person that viewed it before me was going to buy it but then walked away for that very reason.

Personally I went on the history/condition and knew the kit was applied at the a dealers through checks I performed via my own local dealer.
Any more info I can get just adds to it. I've already got a great pile of history and original sales adverts and invoices through getting in touch with the last owner. It all adds value and to the story of this 2 (previous) owner car.

Last edited:

scotty1310

Feb 21, 2016
Kent
If the K1 was meant to be a special edition model, they would have been registered and had a plaque the number like the Golf ED30 does. IMO it was just so seat could make more money and charge over the odds. At the end of the day if your happy thats what matters. A registered K1 or a registered cupra with the kit fitted later on after delivery is just the same IMO

Scby555

Oct 29, 2004
You are correct, except in the eyes of car insurance so make sure you as the kit and exhaust as mods

notorious_d

Notorious_D
Jun 7, 2017
If the K1 was meant to be a special edition model, they would have been registered and had a plaque the number like the Golf ED30 does. IMO it was just so seat could make more money and charge over the odds. At the end of the day if your happy thats what matters. A registered K1 or a registered cupra with the kit fitted later on after delivery is just the same IMO

It may be so however resale value would be affected..... Just checked on DVLA site only 334 genuine K1's on the road in Britain to date!!

Yes it is technically just a body kit and exhaust, but IMO it just looks so much better and more aggressive than a standard cupra....

Don't forget the K1 kits came around when SEAT had entered the British Touring Car Championship (with a diesel !) :lol:

Theres my two pennys worth :funk:

neil_1821

Jan 9, 2011
I'd also like to add that if its a 'genuine' K1 you know the standard of work has to be of a certain level. I've had cars in the past where modifications have been carried out by previous owners and bodge job wouldn't even come close to describing the work done.

It also seems that K1's hold their value better than the cupra but I agree, it's all about personel choice and opinions. I'm just thankful I got a real K1 with the added optional extra of a sunroof! You don't see many K1's with them.

csx

Mar 13, 2017
Well guys and girls - Just want to throw something else into the works .
I know this is a K1 thread -and maybe someone can start a new thread on this matter.
Leon FR Mk3 - with full seat sport body kit -Not Sport STYLING pack !
Factory Build - not added by the dealer - How many Are out there ??
The last MK3 leon 3dr titaniums - they threw on the side skirts and hatch spoiler and 18 inch titanium wheels -coloured the mirrors etc.
The very REAL sport body kits - come with side skirts - tail spoiler - rear splitter with twin ( left right ) exhaust - a totally different front bumper which cant have parking sensors due to design - different fog lights and front lip spoiler and a delete of the FR badge from the front grill.
Ive seen loads of dealers bolt on the rear bumper and tail and side skirts and sell them as full sport kits - but there not real - like your fake 'K1s' that a dealer has just bolted on .
And yes - the sport kit was only factory order and factory build - Hence its £2500 price tag as an option .
Just interested - as I have 2 of them - Well 1 - the GF has a better one with DCC fitted .
I grabbed the last factory build as I didnt want a dealer 'fit' .
I have the build sheets for both cars from seat .
As this is a K1 thread - all you guys should be able to go to any seat dealers and with vin numbers it will tell you the full spec as it left the factory -with all the options - and wether it was designated as a K1

csx

Mar 13, 2017
Just a follow on to the thread - Any cars fitted with the twin pipes ,bumpers etc - If its not on the original build sheet - its a modification - whether the dealer did it or not . In the case of insurance -they only have to replace and repair what was on the original declared build sheet from seat .
Just a cautionary warning if your stuffed in the back end and it comes back with a standard bumper and side pipe !!

m3eater

Aug 14, 2014
I've just been told mine isn't 'genuine'. I've had the car just over 3 years and just called SEAT as a buyer said it was fake and they said they can't find it on their database as a K1. I still don't know if i believe it though, i'm usually pretty good at spotting replicas by the exhaust etc so i just don't know. It also didn't come up as K1 on parkers evaluation

notorious_d

Notorious_D
Jun 7, 2017
I've just been told mine isn't 'genuine'. I've had the car just over 3 years and just called SEAT as a buyer said it was fake and they said they can't find it on their database as a K1. I still don't know if i believe it though, i'm usually pretty good at spotting replicas by the exhaust etc so i just don't know. It also didn't come up as K1 on parkers evaluation

I'm afraid if the SEAT dealer cant verify the car as a K1, its not a real one pal.

Most insurance websites state the car as a Seat Leon Cupra 2.0 TSI, however dvla and vosa databases should have the K1 stated. Only know this as my MOT technician told me =D

m3eater

Aug 14, 2014
I'm afraid if the SEAT dealer cant verify the car as a K1, its not a real one pal.

Most insurance websites state the car as a Seat Leon Cupra 2.0 TSI, however dvla and vosa databases should have the K1 stated. Only know this as my MOT technician told me =D

This whole thing is leaving a bad taste in my mouth after having the car for so long. SEAT said the car was first bought directly from the factory by a 'company' and was also sent to somebody called Paragon Automotive in 08 for some kind of work. The whole thing just seems strange and i want rid of it now :(

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008

Its a bit like mine then.
Although i have managed to obtain the original SEAT dealer advert and sales invoice both stating K1.
SEAT UK do not recognise it as a K1 on their database despite the car being sold as a K1 whilst they were still registered on the V5 as the 1st owner.
It is believed it was a K1 demo car converted at the dealership rather than converted pre-registration by SEAT UK. Therefore it fell through the cracks.

Your only hope is to get in touch with the original supplying dealer to see if they can provide any details.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members