Change in design of TFSi engine. Important issue with fuel pump and engine wear

K1Shane

336bhp 319 lb/ft
Apr 17, 2010
Northfleet
65648km
25jdrpl.jpg

idglr5.jpg

Looks like you caught that just in time. I'll be checking mine at the weekend!

Sep 5, 2009
Midlands
Swapped the cam follower today, pretty sure it's not been done before, nothing in the history and dealer couldn't tell from their end. I've had the car for about the last 16k and its coming up to 50k now.

SeatLeonCupra-MyCupraMar11CamFollowerReplacement5.jpg

SeatLeonCupra-MyCupraMar11CamFollowerReplacement4.jpg

Didn't seem that bad inside or out, couldn't feel much wear to it and the camshaft was fine too, got the peace of mind it's now done though.

Last edited:

Tricky Red

Jan 16, 2007
Just to let you all know that I had my 2.0tfsi Octavia checked on Saturday after 70k miles and there was no visible wear at all. I elected not to change at there was still the full black covering on the top and the engineer said that there was no need at all.

Perhaps mine is a newer design but it is still 2006.

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
06D 109 309 C

is this the only part number i need is that round thing the follower or is there more to this that i need to check when i get a car.

if there is a list of items best to reset teh clock to 0 let me know the part numbers and ill get some ordered

lee

gar1

Hi

Can anyone confirm if this issue was rectified back in 2008 by either adding a teflon coating or changing the whole design to a chain driven fuel pump. I have a 2010 Cupra R and what to satisfy my query regards to this potential issue on the tfsi engines.

Thanks

bqd

need some chocolate
Apr 19, 2008
Belgrade, Serbia
@gar1 - seems like C revision was made properly, no wear at all after 35 thousand km... factory equipped follower was changed after 15 thousand km with significant wear on it...

K03heco

I'll have to change my Cam Follower soon too since my cars nearing 30k miles >.<

Paulki

Jul 12, 2006
Enfield
I decided it was time to check the cam follower on my 06 TFSI Sport; I've had it from new and it's only done 24k, but since I think it may have the suspect "soft" "A" cam it made sense to take a look; so armed with a new follower I set to work.

It wasn't as easy as the guides in the links as my one has a metal pipe where the ones in the guides had a rubber pipe that was left connected, as this pipe didn't seem to want to undo with out damaging the pipe I ended up loosening all the retaining clips to get enough slack to pull the pump far enough out to remove the follower. It took me an hour in the end, if it had the rubber pipe like the guides then I would have been done in 20mins.

The follower was actually in good condition, the coating had mostly worn off, but the surface was smooth and polished with no real wear of the metal, it was the same inside, but after the hassle getting to it, there was no sense in not fitting the new one.
TFSIcamfollower002a.jpg

Edit: I found out the difference with the rubber fuel line that is left connected in the guides and my all metal fuel line; mine has the "Banjo" style fitting as detailed in ZBOYD's link: http://www.goapr.com/VW/support/fsi_fuelpump_installation.pdf instead of the "Bamboo" fitting which has the rubber fuel pipe.

Last edited:

MrFwibble

Aug 26, 2011
Scottish Borders
Just changed on my 2006 TFSI Sport as I wasn't sure about its history. Looks not too bad, but probably for the best it got changed anyway.

Can't post picture yet but will when I can :D

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Just been reading this interesting thread. I'm considering changing my LCR 225 for a 2010 265 - would any of these problems manifest themselves on this model and is there anything else I should look out for? Any advice would be appreciated!

Geordie_Paul

Jan 19, 2012
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Just changed my Cam Follower yesterday after 43000 miles on the clock and have attached a couple of photos! Once the engine cover was off it was pretty much a doddle to do after the right spanner/torx were found! (Rubber pipe thankfully!)

Apologies for the wallpaper border, in the middle of decorating haha...
SDC10952.JPG

SDC10954.JPG

As you can see it had worn on top, circumference and underneath but personally after 43k I don't think it looks too bad! Although I'm not an expert.... does anybody think this was desperate for a change or not?

Diverter valve uprate next :)

Thanks,
Paul

EDIT: I found this link helped http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/142836-how-to-change-fuel-pump-cam-follower-on-2-0-tfsi/

Last edited:

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Just checked and changed mine for the first time in its 60k mile life time, looked fine with a bit of paint wearing is all, but swapped it out anyway.

Took about 15 mins, easy as with all these guides about.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.